Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emanuel Lasker and the Comprehension of the World

Emanuel Lasker and the Comprehension of the World

Emanuel Lasker – The Life of a Chess Master by Dr. Jacques Hannak (1959) is a biography of the man with 100 annotated games.

Hannak writes that after the match with Schlechter in 1910, Lasker “retired” from chess for almost five years. He got married in 1911 to Martha Marco. After a 1912 tour of the USA, the Laskers purchased a strip of land some twenty miles from Berlin and Emanuel took on the new role of a farmer, who was going to plant his own cabbages, to dig his own potatoes and to breed poultry.

He spent a great deal of time during this period writing one of his philosophical works, Das Begreifen der Welt [the comprehension of the world]. It was published in 1913 by Hans Joseph – 491 pages, with a weight near one kilo.
    When I read about this as a teenager I thought how wonderful it would be to possess this book, by a chess player, that explained the universe.

The chance to buy it came today, when a copy went up for auction on the German eBay. Alas, the bidding was too heavy for me and with 104 bids, it sold for 442 euros or $609 US. If you care to see the details, the eBay item number is 35096464922.
    +++++++++

There is also a copy for sale from an American used bookseller. The online description reads:

Berlin: Verlag Hans Joseph GmbH., Berlin, Bülowstrasse, 1913, 1913. , 491pp., good white woven cloth but with private library call number in white ink at bottom of spine with area blacked out, some heavy foxing around page edges, front hinge starting, two very tiny ancient wormholes at top corner of last few pages, Hebrew library stamp on copyright page with ink number notation, INSCRIBED on title page and SIGNED: Emanuel: "Meinem spät gefundenen, um so herzlicher geliebten Felicitas / 25.III.'27 / Emanuel. Ink notation in old German hand on blank page across from title page reads: "Spende von Fr. Felicia Isaac an die Staatsbibliothek in Tel Aviv. Originalwidmung des Verfassers.". .

This rare inscribed copy will set you back $1750 US.

For the collector, possessing has the same importance as reading the volume. Unfortunately, I can do neither!

Lasker must be one of the most prolific writers among the World Champions. Others in that category would be Alekhine, Euwe, Botvinnik and Kasparov.

Re: Emanuel Lasker and the Comprehension of the World

When we were selling books out of the Chess Canada offices on Wychwood Avenue, I found available from a New York supplier the Hannak book in English and eventually was able to buy 10 copies for $40 or $50. Looking inside, I was amazed to see that the forward was by none other than Albert Einstein! The copies sold like hotcakes @ $10.
    Unfortunately, when I called the supplier to re-order and asked how many more copies were available - there was a lengthy pause - and then "Sorry, there are none left."

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      When we were selling books out of the Chess Canada offices on Wychwood Avenue, I found available from a New York supplier the Hannak book in English and eventually was able to buy 10 copies for $40 or $50. Looking inside, I was amazed to see that the forward was by none other than Albert Einstein! The copies sold like hotcakes @ $10.
      Unfortunately, when I called the supplier to re-order and asked how many more copies were available - there was a lengthy pause - and then "Sorry, there are none left."
      The Dover paperback edition is still in print and sells for under $13 US. It has the Foreword by Albert Einstein that Vlad mentions and a Postscript by Heinrich Fraenkel (Assiac).

Einstein writes: I met Emanuel Lasker in the house of my old friend Alexander Moszkowski, and I came to know him well during the many walks we took together, discussing ideas on a variety of subjects. It was a somewhat unilateral discussion in which, almost invariably, I was in the position of listener for it seemed to be the natural thing for this eminently creative man to generate his own ideas rather than adjust himself to those of someone else.(October 1952)

Comment

Last summer I found a nice copy of the Dover edition in the main branch of Powells, a well-known bookstore in Portland OR. It set me back $7.50 -- a great bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
          Last summer I found a nice copy of the Dover edition in the main branch of Powells, a well-known bookstore in Portland OR. It set me back $7.50 -- a great bargain!
          Powell's is an amazing book store. I used to have occasion to visit a client in Astoria OR and I would always fly in and out of Portland so I could visit Powell's coming and going!
          I bought a (lot) of computer books (O'Reilly) there... sometimes caused some overage on the luggage weight, but well worth it. Their selection was amazing and I always blew
          several hours and dollars in their section where they held used books people brought in in huge lots... many gems there. Good thing I don't *live* in Portland otherwise I would
          have to get a larger house.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
          X