Facebook/tweeter/linkedin/friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook/tweeter/linkedin/friends

I am frequently invited/advised to join one or more of the above social networking aps. Thus far I have not.
    I find emails fulfill all my communication needs (beside ChessTalk).
    It seems to me that each and every one of the above is just an additional route for hackers and viruses to infiltrate my site. Am I missing an entire dimension of computer usage? It took me a few years before I broke down and bought a computer and joined the internet, so it may well be that I am some sort of prehistoric fossil ludite.
    In any event I mean no offence when I refuse to linkedin and befriend etc.
    Am I the only prehistoric throwback to the pre-internet era?

Re: Facebook/tweeter/linkedin/friends

I hear ya Vlad, I know so many people who seem to spend HOURS on FaceBook, even LinkedIn, and I just dunno how they can fit it in?! However, I must admit that I really like texting, kinda replacing email. Texts are shorter! :)

Comment

I use Facebook as form of instant communication (easily attaching photos and/or videos) amongst "friends" (either individually, or as a group with similar interests), and that's it! No games or apps (I block any attempts by people inviting me to play their games), and I refuse to look at videos, etc. which say "You won't believe this!", etc. Just be careful, and don't "like" everything you see, or you will be flooded with messages, and exit immediately if Facebook asks you for permission to use your profile info if you want to view something. Also - beware, some of your best "friends" may start pestering you with MLM (multi-level marketing) spam. You can also store (and share (if you want) with your friends) your own photos/videos.

Comment

I'm not on any of those either.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm on all three.

Comment

If it's free, you're probably the product.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              If it's free, you're probably the product.
              zomg how insightful. First person ever to come up with that concept. I feel illuminated, thank god I joined this board and didn't wait for you to email me this nugget.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                zomg how insightful. First person ever to come up with that concept. I feel illuminated, thank god I joined this board and didn't wait for you to email me this nugget.
                I only get to put up with your nasty attacks infrequently. You have to live with yourself all the time. I hope you enjoy it.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I only get to put up with your nasty attacks infrequently. You have to live with yourself all the time. I hope you enjoy it.
                  I enjoy it just fine. What did you add to the discussion by saying "I'm not on any of those either."? Vlad asked if there was some dimension to it that he was missing; you (as always) took the time to tell us your personal experience with no insight of any sort, probably because there is none to be had when you have no experience. Your pointless platitude about "the product" means nothing; social media sites (whether FB, Twitter, Linkedin, or any other) is a mutually beneficial system. You have access (if desired) to features that are of interest to you, and in exchange, you accept that you are profiling yourself and that this information is being shared with advertisers.

If you want useless, widely over generalizing statements about social media, how about "There's no such thing as a free lunch".

Comment

I enjoy it just fine. What did you add to the discussion by saying "I'm not on any of those either."? .
                    It's a statement of fact. In case Vlad thought he was the only one who didn't bother with those services.

What do you think makes those companies worth so much on the stock market? Do you think it might be that a lot of people use the service? There's a concept for you. Start a free new innovative social media company. Build it up for a few years. Then cash in on an IPO.

And you think the users aren't the product?
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It's a statement of fact. In case Vlad thought he was the only one who didn't bother with those services.

What do you think makes those companies worth so much on the stock market? Do you think it might be that a lot of people use the service? There's a concept for you. Start a free new innovative social media company. Build it up for a few years. Then cash in on an IPO.

And you think the users aren't the product?
                      I'm sure Vlad is well aware that many people don't use social media. Last time I checked, none of the sites had 7 billion accounts. What he asked was what the benefits are that make them so attractive to consumers.

Obviously, everyone knows that these companies are primarily advertising companies, just like TV stations are, just like radio stations are, hell just like ChessTalk is. They provide a service to get your attention and in exchange, they provide some advertising. The genius of the social media companies is that they use information that you willingly provide to ensure that you see advertising that is more likely to catch your attention and be of interest to you, which I don't mind at all (and I fully accept that many people feel differently, which is fine).

To answer Vlad more clearly - I like using them as they give me access to a wide range of viewpoints and news sources. I am given easy access to links about information that interests me without having to go and search for it; essentially, I consider it a way for my friends to show me things they think are interesting, and given that we are friends, I am also likely to be interested in. It provides a simple means of news and photo sharing amongst family. It allows me to connect to other people in my industry without the need to travel to conferences by suggesting people I'm tangentally connected to. All of these allow me to feel very connected to the things I'm interested in (whether personal or professional).

Yes - in exchange for this, I accept that facebook knows that I like Poker, Hockey, and Chess, and that I live in Canada. I'm willing to make that tradeoff.

Comment

To answer Vlad more clearly - I like using them as they give me access to a wide range of viewpoints and news sources.
                        Yeah. Well, if you want my viewpoint you have to come here.

Have a Happy New Year, David.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yeah. Well, if you want my viewpoint you have to come here.
                          Maybe you'll note I have 1/10th the posts you do, which should tell you a lot about how much I come here to hear your pearls of wisdom.

Comment

Maybe you'll note I have 1/10th the posts you do, which should tell you a lot about how much I come here to hear your pearls of wisdom.
                            You forget that it is all about him, and nothing about chess.....
                            Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                              I am frequently invited/advised to join one or more of the above social networking aps. Thus far I have not.
                              I find emails fulfill all my communication needs (beside ChessTalk).
                              It seems to me that each and every one of the above is just an additional route for hackers and viruses to infiltrate my site. Am I missing an entire dimension of computer usage? It took me a few years before I broke down and bought a computer and joined the internet, so it may well be that I am some sort of prehistoric fossil ludite.
                              In any event I mean no offence when I refuse to linkedin and befriend etc.
                              Am I the only prehistoric throwback to the pre-internet era?
                              I'm not on any of those. There is the occasional thing that I might be interested in that is a link to a Facebook page (e.g. there is a BC chess discussion group) that has privacy settings only to people on Facebook but as soon as I'm asked to sign up, I walk away.

Actually, in my circle of friends, very few are on Facebook. Those that are, signed up mostly so they can see the above links and make no attempt to maintain a Facebook profile. The last penetration numbers I saw were something like 60% of Canadians have a Facebook account, and 20% use Twitter so that leaves plenty of luddites like you and me.

Comment

Working...
                              X