Toronto Open playing Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Open playing Days

I just read the Toronto Open Flyer today. Is there a reason why the tournament is not on
    Good Friday ,Sat. and Sunday? This may be a big loss of players as not everyone gets Easter Monday off work. Or is there a typo on the Flyer that I picked up at Hart House Holidays Open?

9 Round FIDE-Rated 2014 Toronto Open ?

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    I just read the Toronto Open Flyer today. Is there a reason why the tournament is not on
    Good Friday ,Sat. and Sunday? This may be a big loss of players as not everyone gets Easter Monday off work. Or is there a typo on the Flyer that I picked up at Hart House Holidays Open?
    Additional Questions re 2014 Toronto Open:

1. Could it be 9 rounds (Fri. - 3 rounds with short time control; Sat. - 2 rounds; Sun. - 2 rounds; Monday - 2 rounds; normal time control for rounds 2-9)?

2. Does FIDE have any regulation to stop the top couple of sections being FIDE-rated?

I know this is now not possible (hall not available; registrants having already set their schedules to accommodate current dates). But it is a discussion for next year - an organizer might tackle it.

Bob A

Comment

Re: Toronto Open playing Days

Maybe it occurred to the organizers that Christians would prefer to devote Good Friday to something far more important than playing games.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Frangakis View Post
        Maybe it occurred to the organizers that Christians would prefer to devote Good Friday to something far more important than playing games.
        Hi Evan:

Chess players like to play. And Canada now has many religions, and sacred days that conflict with everything.

Players often do take a couple of byes to accommodate their religious beliefs/practices.

I would think overall, organizers will get a better turn-out, the longer the tournament. And 9 games in four days over a holiday weekend, is likely manageable by many, despite the no. of rounds.

Bob A

Comment

Can someone post the flyer? I cannot find it online.
          Thanks
          Brian

Comment

Interesting that the CFC website does not appear to list this event.

Comment

The tournament is currently seeking GTCL approval to be the official Toronto Open.

Once approved, we will post with CFC. We will also post an updated flyer.

Note - based on feedback, dates have been changed from those advertised on flyers at Hart House Holidays Open:

Toronto Open is now 6 rounds, Good Friday to Easter Sunday, April 18-20.
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Frangakis View Post
                If Christians want to take off Good Friday that is okay but for how many years has the Toronto Open been run Good Friday to Easter Sunday? I've been playing Tournament Chess since 1973 and I have never heard of a Christian complaining about playing chess on Good Friday. Maybe I hang around with the chess playing Christians and not the Religious Christians.

Comment

If Christians want to take off Good Friday that is okay but for how many years has the Toronto Open been run Good Friday to Easter Sunday? I've been playing Tournament Chess since 1973 and I have never heard of a Christian complaining about playing chess on Good Friday. Maybe I hang around with the chess playing Christians and not the Religious Christians.
                  I don't consider a chess playing Christian and religious Christian to be mutually exclusive and I consider myself to be both. There are plenty of days during a calendar year to schedule tournaments. My point is that scheduling a tournament during the most holy weekend on the Christian calendar is insensitive and may also prevent some players from participating.

In any event, we all are free to choose our priorities and how we wish to devote our time. Be well.

Comment

No matter what days you schedule tournaments on, there will always people who can't play - whether for religious or other reasons.

In my younger days, I often felt guilty about playing chess on Sundays - my mother in HER younger days (1920's and earlier) was never allowed to play games of any kind on a Sunday - that day was devoted to church and family (noon dinner and afternoon tea). I certainly wasn't discouraged by my parents about the Sunday chess - but I missed a lot of good noon dinners and afternoon teas as the family dining traditions continued many years later!

Trivial comment: does Christianity rule the waves?
                    In London (England), there is absolutely no public transit service (except taxis) on Christmas Day. http://londonist.com/2013/11/london-...d-new-year.php

Comment

I've been playing Tournament Chess since 1973 and I have never heard of a Christian complaining about playing chess on Good Friday.
                      The Windsor Chess Challenge playoffs are usually held on the Easter weekend. When I started this practice, I asked the local Catholic school board if that was okay. They replied that they frowned on events for their students being held on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but Easter Saturday was okay. (I should mention that a few hundred of their students play in the Chess Challenge.)

Comment

Let's not forget the 1956 Canadian Open in Montreal. It was held at McGill University's Redpath Hall - but the campus was completely shut on Sundays, and thus the Sunday rounds were played at the nearby YMHA.
                        Even in the first half of the 20th century, Montreal's francophone (and thus almost 100% Roman Catholic clientele) chess club/players had events on Sundays - but they always seemed to in the afternoons, to allow time to attend church/Mass in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                        X