reading chess books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reading chess books?

I'm a player between beginner an intermediate strength (if I had to guess I'd say my rating would be 1350) and I have a decent collection of chess books. What I've found though is that it takes me a long time to get through the material because of all the moves and variations in the examples. I usually open a chess program to play out the moves when the example gets very long, but it's still taking me a long time. In my head I can usually play out about 8-10 moves while still having a clear picture of what the board would look like, but anything more than that and I'm lost. I'd like to know if anyone has any tips for reading chess books more efficiently, and if it's even possible to simply read through one without getting out a board or using a chess program?
    Small Business Coaching

Re: reading chess books?

Everyman has made a large number of its excellent books available in e-format so you can play along in ChessBase. You will find that much easier although if you really can keep the position clear in your head for 10 moves....

Comment

A typical book on one chess opening (say published by Batsford, back in the day) can take a significant fraction of a year (if not a whole year) to play through on a board, if all variations are played through, I once estimated [edit: say if one uses 1-2 hours a day]. In the case of openings one could study just the so-called main lines instead, and/or lines that are actually played at least now and then in one's local area. Most of the secondary lines are not so critical and one can normally even play second-rate moves against them and still get away with it. Often the best use of an opening book is to use it as a reference book to look up afterwards what was played in a game of one's own, so as to learn from any errors that may have been made.

Middlegame books often have lots of prose rather than examples, and one can learn a lot just from the prose of a well written such book. Even game collection books can have spare bits of advice. Still, as is the case for opening books [edit: especially when considering playing over examples/analysis], bear in mind one has only so much time on this earth. Find out which middlegame books are best by reputation (often they are old classics).

Endgames are essential to study at some point if one wishes to improve, and the earlier the better. I spent about a year or so as a junior playing through the thick Basic Chess Endgames book by Fine. I played through the main lines, but tried to do variations in my head as much as I could. The prose was valuable too, though occasionally a confusing explanation (to me) of something was given, which I eventually figured out on my own. Plowing through a basic endgame book [edit: or similar ebook/database] like BCE is drudgery, perhaps, but unavoidable if one wishes to improve and one is not a born chess genius (then again, maybe they study hard too :) ). Some endings are gold, like the Lucena and Philidor positions in rook endings, because they come up time and again (or threaten to) in practice.

Absorbing lots of chess tactical patterns is also gold, and quiz books on tactics can help immensely for one to improve. Just guessing at the first move of the solution, if one can't solve a hard example, can at least feel helpful, if one then looks up the solution and thus learns a new pattern anyway.

[edit: P.S.: compared to poker there's a lot more knowledge/theory needed to be acquired in modern times to hope to have great chess skill, but some upsides to chess compared to poker are that more people play it worldwide, there is the satisfaction that there's no obvious element of luck involved, and you can't lose your shirt in organized chess events since you just pay an entry fee, or may get in free if you're a strong enough titled player]
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 13th January, 2014, 07:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Everyman has made a large number of its excellent books available in e-format so you can play along in ChessBase. You will find that much easier although if you really can keep the position clear in your head for 10 moves....
        8-10 moves ahead (of a diagrammed position) kept clearly visualized (especially for any complex position) would be rather unusual for someone rated (or actually) less than intermediate strength. Perhaps 4-5 whole moves (i.e. not 8-10 half-moves, in computer-speak) was actually meant. Even that, in a complex position, would be pretty good for below intermediate strength, I'd guess.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by statlerjames View Post
          I'd like to know if anyone has any tips for reading chess books more efficiently
          First tip: read only VERY VERY GOOD ones. Most of chess books are multiplications especially on tactics, strategy, endgames, and openings.
          Second tip - go through only those games in matches/tournaments/personalities what match your openings. Leave other games for future.
          Third tip - enough two tips for free LOL

Comment

Working...
          X