Speed chess on the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed chess on the Internet

Hi folks.. I play the Kings Gambit (when able to) when playing White. When playing Black I play D6, then E6.. I usually play 5 minutes each.
    My current rating in Yahoo is 1543.. I love it. I would play all day and nite especially if I'm playing well...
    Anyone on this site play on Yahoo and what do they think of it???
    Small Business Coaching

Re: Speed chess on the Internet

Originally posted by statlerjames View Post
    Hi folks.. I play the Kings Gambit (when able to) when playing White. When playing Black I play D6, then E6...
    The King's Gambit is a great opening to have fun with. Top players generally haven't played it much in ages, because it is very risky and White has safer options that are at least as promising.

The opening sequence 1.e4 d6 2.d4 e6, for example, sometimes works well for Black in Double Chess, but in normal chess Black does better not to restrict the scope of his both of his bishops right off the bat. He could still hope to play ...g6 and ...b6 to try to develop these pieces so they'd have some scope, but if White is a good player he can play to try to make Black make more concessions than usual (i.e. without compensation) in order to try to complete his (Black's) piece development in an effective manner. Also, if nothing else, Black will lack any pawn on the fourth rank (i.e. right in the centre) unless he spends another move pushing his e- or d-pawn.

[edit: in some normal openings Black indeed does play ...d6 and ...e6 at some point, but only after first acquiring some compensating factor for his lack of having a pawn in the centre... for example in the Scheveningen Variation of the Sicilian (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e6 is one move order to get it), Black has acquired an extra centre pawn as compensation for an inferiority in space that is at least temporary. He does not wish to play (5)...e5 immediately in this particular position, which would leave d5 unfavourably unguardable by any Black pawn for no compensation (6.Bb5+! would be White's best move to start with, since Black didn't prepare a possible later ...e5 by playing 5...a6, which is called [and usually remains] the Najdorf Variation). That would allow a White piece to become entrenched on d5 later. Instead ...e6 controls d5, and the pawn on d6 is well guarded for now. Some folks prefer 5...g6 in the move order given, which would be the Dragon Variation, after which the d5 square remains a slight weakness (a future ...e6, in combination with ...g6, would be rather loosening, though it can be okay once in a while to play the move ...e6 in the Dragon later in the middlegame)]
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 13th January, 2014, 05:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
    X