Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applications for Olympic Captains close January 31, 2014

Dear Candidates;

The CFC Executive is now accepting applications for the Captains of our National and Women's Olympic Teams. If you are interested in either of these positions, kindly submit you application to me, halbond@sympatico.ca by January 31 2014.

Your application should not be lengthy. We need only your contact information, a brief summary of your experience and approach to the job.

Thank you
    Hal Bond

Re: Applications for Olympic Captains close January 31, 2014

When will the players be selected?

Comment

Players will be invited based on a composite rating as of January 31. Hopefully we will be able to name the team within the following month.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
        Players will be invited based on a composite rating as of January 31. Hopefully we will be able to name the team within the following month.
        Why not taking February 1st with February FRL (FIDE rating list)?

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
          Why not taking February 1st with February FRL (FIDE rating list)?
          Because it will be smth like 178 or 179 day before the Olympiad. The Olympiad starts on August 1.

However, the deadline regarding captains is too early:
          904. Timing
          The following schedule is to be followed in determining the composition of the National Delegation. Each scheduled step shall be completed before the next step is taken....

d) Acceptance of players: Players who agree to participate on the Team shall notify the CFC of their participation no later than 120 days before the start of the Olympiad.
          e)Nominations for Team Captains: All nominations for Team Captains shall be submitted no later than 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

Thus, deadline (Jan 31) for step (e) is too early, as by that players will be not known (d).

Comment

By my calculation February 1st would be 181 days before the Olympiad if they start on August 1st. The selection of team captains became the responsibility of the executive or a delegated subcommittee thereof as of the special governors meeting from the end of January 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Because it will be smth like 178 or 179 day before the Olympiad. The Olympiad starts on August 1.

However, the deadline regarding captains is too early:
              904. Timing
              The following schedule is to be followed in determining the composition of the National Delegation. Each scheduled step shall be completed before the next step is taken....

d) Acceptance of players: Players who agree to participate on the Team shall notify the CFC of their participation no later than 120 days before the start of the Olympiad.
              e)Nominations for Team Captains: All nominations for Team Captains shall be submitted no later than 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

Thus, deadline (Jan 31) for step (e) is too early, as by that players will be not known (d).
              Why would top players agree to participate on a team without knowing the team captain and the board they will be expected to play?

I don't get it.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Why would top players agree to participate on a team without knowing the team captain and the board they will be expected to play?

I don't get it.
                Yes, why would they?

Comment

I don't get it.
                  Change a rule if you don't like it:
                  "916. Board Order The board order for each Team shall be determined by the Team Captain and announced no later than 30 days before the start of the Olympiad."

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    By my calculation February 1st would be 181 days before the Olympiad if they start on August 1st. The selection of team captains became the responsibility of the executive or a delegated subcommittee thereof as of the special governors meeting from the end of January 2013.
                    Seems you are right on 181 day. Thus Feb 1 FIDE ratings should be valid.
                    The captains submission is still too early :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Seems you are right on 181 day. Thus Feb 1 FIDE ratings should be valid.
                      Once the committee is appointed I am sure that they will give due consideration to the available ratings. I recall something about ratings 165 days ahead of the start of the tournament being significant.

The captains submission is still too early :)
                      Perhaps, and if someone wants to be considered they should probably heed Hal Bond's first post in this thread.

Comment

Are captains and players paid?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                          Are captains and players paid?
                          In normal years I believe their travel expenses are paid and the handbook provides for a small amount of pocket money. I believe captains have their travel expenses paid. Everything is subject to being able to raise the required funds.

Comment

How is the captain decided after an application is submitted?

Comment

Some players might consider it an honor to represent their country regardless of which board they are asked to play. Not saying I begrudge anyone who might want to know either of these in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X