North American Junior U20 Championship 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American Junior U20 Championship 2014

FIDE website shows this tournament in Canada but without any dates.
    http://www.fide.com/calendar.html under American Events
    Who's organizing this tournament? Are more details available at this time?

I'm trying to create a list with FIDE norm tournaments for 2014 and the only dates I can find are for Continental Chess Tournaments in US
    http://www.chesstour.com/refs.html
    So far the only Canadian tournament with norm opportunities is the Canadian Open in Montreal. Any plans for a 2014 Canadian Zonal?

Re: North American Junior U20 Championship 2014

Hi Rene - FIDE America was pressing me in Tallinn regarding this tournament, so I told them Canada will do it.

The Kitchener Chess Festival, July 31 - August 4 will be the time and place for the tournament. It will be a 9 round event so we have added a day to the Festival. Patrick McDonald and I are still pinning down the details and have made a pact to publish the details by month's end.

This will cause a small conflict with the Olympiad because we may have some juniors on the Olympic Team. I have checked in with our regional colleagues and they are not concerned about this conflict.

We have received no bids for either Zonal as of yet. Other norm events - I know that SWOCL has been having discussions about a futurity event but nothing firm yet.

Comment

Hal,

This is great news.
      According to the Table for Direct Titles effective from 1 July 2013 for Continental & Regional U20:
      Gold (first after tiebreak) = GM norm
      1st equal (best 3 players after tiebreakers) = IM title
      Silver & Bronze = IM norms and FM title

Comment

This is fantastic news, I guess I should start studying.
        University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Working...
        X