John Coleman injured in fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Coleman injured in fall

John Coleman has suffered a fall on the ice and broken his hip (a clean break fortunately if you can use that word about this set of circumstances) and will be in a hospital bed for the next several weeks. I am going to have to pick up some of the slack for him and direct the practice tournaments that he set up leading up to the Windsor Chess Challenge at the end of February. John is hoping that he will be able to attend the Chess Challenge in a wheel chair.

Re: John Coleman injured in fall

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    John Coleman has suffered a fall on the ice and broken his hip (a clean break fortunately if you can use that word about this set of circumstances) and will be in a hospital bed for the next several weeks. I am going to have to pick up some of the slack for him and direct the practice tournaments that he set up leading up to the Windsor Chess Challenge at the end of February. John is hoping that he will be able to attend the Chess Challenge in a wheel chair.
    John: I hope you have a speedy recovery (perhaps "speedy" is not in the cards, but I hope so!)
    I have been very wary of the ice lately and will not be sad to see it disappear as soon as possible!
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      John: I hope you have a speedy recovery (perhaps "speedy" is not in the cards, but I hope so!)
      I have been very wary of the ice lately and will not be sad to see it disappear as soon as possible!
      With fluctuating temperatures and a recent cycle of snow, melting, rain, and then freezing, the ice is something we all need to be aware of. I remember Sunday night looking at the ground which was slippery and thinking "be careful".

Comment

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, John.
        I have been relying on monster ice grippers. Look silly but seem to work.
        We are bracing here in Ottawa for another deep freeze after the January melt. The Rideau Canal will not be our only long skating rink tomorrow.

Comment

John, look at the bright side (like Monty Python), more time for chess. Having said that I do hope you recover soon and fully. Wishing you all the best. Hans

Comment

John, best of wishes. Hope the pain is gone and you can concentrate on chess or anything that makes the stay in the hospital easier.

Comment

Best wishes for a quick recovery, John. Until recently I haven't been going outside because of the ice, if I can avoid it.
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I'm posting this from the hospital, nothing like intravenous morphine spiced with the occasional Percoset to make the world look bright.

I suppose, if you gotta break a hip, late Sunday evening is the time to do it. The ambulance got me to ER by 11.00, I was x-rayed at 1.30, CAT scan at 4.30. Saw a doctor at about 10.00 am. I got very lucky. A completely clean break, with no displacement or rotational component at all. The orthopedic surgeon confirmed there would be no treatment, just pain management and therapy. I can go home as soon as I can manage the toilet by myself, walk with a walker, and climb a half-flight of stairs.

I've got the toilet licked, so to speak, and I can manage the walker, though very slowly. The stairs are coming along, very hard work indeed. It's gonna be a while before I can drive, or walk without an assistive device. I think my running career has come to an end.

Comment

John, please get well soon! And get right back to chess while you are recovering!! It will pick up your spirits. :)

Comment

I'm home, but probably should not be. Not yet, anyway, I'm thinking I should have "put on the agony" a bit more in the hospital, instead of rushing home as soon as they would let me.

My head is screwed up from the Percocet, and in the hospital I wouldn't have the nurses calling me an idiot (though they might be thinking it) and complaining that they were trying to take a nap,

I can "walk" with a walker, and climb stairs with a cane, leaning heavily on the handrail. My hip doesn't much hurt much as long as I take Percocet. I'm not sure that is a good thing. Don't know when I'll be able to drive, right now it feels like "never" but I suppose I'll get there.

Percocet side effects include dizziness, drowsiness, constipation, mood changes, vomiting, lightheadedness, blurred vision, etc etc and so forth. I really hadn't expected this. Don't think I'll be playing chess for a while.

Comment

Good luck with your recovery.

Don't get hooked on that pain killer. It's bad news.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Best wishes for a full recovery, John. That Coleman sense of humour will be a big help. :)
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

John, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Comment

Tough to keep a good man down!

All the best John. Keep licking!

Comment

Get well soon, John.

Comment

Working...
                              X