Yuanchen Zhang 2131
    Egis Zeromskis 2122
    Nicholas Vettese 2075
    Richard Steadman 1811
    Rob Gashgarian 1809
    Peter McSherry 1744

Comment

Re: Saturday Rapid - special event

Thanks Vlad for organising and running this interesting event. (and of course thanks Brian for your support). I really enjoyed myself. It was great to see Ian and reconnect and all my wonderful exchanges (verbal of course) with many of the regulars. Erik thanks for the continued good work and exchange of ideas. Really enjoyed the buffet and meeting everyone at the start. I was sitting there with my favorite beverage when a little boy scooted by me on the way to grabbing food. I think I said something like " What are you doing here? - this event is for chess players" (tongue in cheek of course) It was little Nicholas Vettese - nine yr old prodigy. Is he good? Well let me tell you - he paid me back for my comment by playing the Bg5 Najdorf against me and I made a move order slip and he crushed me accurately. After the game he said that was the first time he played Bg5 normally he played Be3. Great player (and great intuition already at age 9) and he is now the youngest player Ive lost to (in a tournament game). I think Vlad said he had record numbers and it was the strongest event so far. (5 IM's and 20 masters) 34 total.

Comment

It was a great tournament. It is always difficult to observe other games when your own games are long, especially in rapid. Some moments I captured. Soon a link will be posted to Picasa. Facebook is uploading too.

Comment

Picasa - https://picasaweb.google.com/1143172...eat=directlink

Best picture :)

Comment

Some details and commentaries.

The tournament was won by IM A.Samsonkin 5/5. IM D. Cummings 2nd with 4 points.

Many players shared 3rd

The complete crosstable will be prepared later by the TD who was busy handling pairings.

The tournament started with pre-chess

and chats

The official part was opened by B.Fiedler (the fast man who is impossible to photograph)

Friends remembered John Chidley-Hill

The sum of 400$ (?) was given to a Legion in memory of John

to be continued.

Comment

The tournament had own dramas

That is quite natural when fingers perform all moves

Even counting the future first prize ($300?)

Or hiding from me or was it a mate? LOL

Comment

So that was the kind of energy my opponent was radiating:o - no wonder I was confused. Thanks for the great pictures (really showed feelings!) Egidijus!

Comment

X-table and ratings updates should be up soon- it's a big job with 34 player field.
                  BTW a strong factor in the great turnout was the excellent photo spread at our last special - the 50th anniversary event in November, thanks to Egis! Lots of players were saying they wouldn't miss the next one.

Comment

Working...
                  X