Candidates Tournament 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidates Tournament 2014

A recent poll on who will win the Candidates at qualitychess.co.uk had the following numbers:

Total votes – 292

Aronian (128 votes, 43%)
    Kramnik (119 votes, 40%)
    Karjakin (3 votes, 1%)
    Svidler (6 votes, 2%)
    Mamedyarov (4 votes, 1%)
    Andreikin (5 votes, 1%)
    Topalov (15 votes, 5%)
    Anand (12 votes, 4%)

Myself, I think Topalov will come out of the opening gate strongly.

I feel many enthusiasts must be tired of the brutal winter and the terrible world political situation and are looking for some diversion.

Colin Crouch wrote yesterday:

It's Sunday night, and for once I want to think about something other than the world crisis, and the presumed terrorist bombings against China, and the far from veiled threat by Russia, against Ukraine.

Time to relax. For the rest of the month, I would like to watch some really heavy high-level chess at the Candidates'. I know that I have predicted several months ago that Aronian would win the Candidates', and will provide a really tense opposition against Carlsen. This however is probability, not certainty.

To which I say, “Amen”.

Comment

I'm rather surprised at how little many of the top players rate Topalov's chances. I know he isn't exactly the most popular guy around but objectively it seems to me that only Kramnik and Aronian have better chances. I'm going to make two predictions: 1) Svidler makes more than 50%; 2) Anand makes less than 50%.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. If I was to bet on a longshot, it would be Topolov.

Comment

I expect Anand to make more than 50%. A chance for a top three finish.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Top 3 Finishers?: Candidates Tournament 2014

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            I expect Anand to make more than 50%. A chance for a top three finish.
            Hi Gary:

My prediction on the top 3:

1. Vladimir - gets another shot at taking back the title!
            2. Aronian
            3. Veselin

What are your top 3 predictions, and in what order??

Bob A

Comment

Re: Top 3 Finishers?: Candidates Tournament 2014

The games start at 15:00 local time, which is 10:00 a.m. Europe and 5:00 a.m. New York City.

The official website

http://candidates2014.fide.com/

has a countdown clock, which says that the broadcast will start at 9:00 a.m. New York City/Toronto/Montreal time!
              _______

ChessBet.com has a free prediction contest with chess book prizes. You bet in blocks of rounds 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12 and 13-14.
              _______

Kramnik and Karjakin seem very focused. From two recent interviews at chess-news.ru:

V.KRAMNIK: (If I used social media, I would tell everyone), but I don't have such a need - to tell and explain everything, like where I am, what do I do or whom I am working with. I arrived several days ago, Zakhar Efimenko is accompanying me- he has been my second for a long time already - here's also the masseur who was with me in London. That's it. I haven’t played after London, i.e. for almost three months, I had a rest from chess, then I spent time on preparation. Well, just as usually.

Е.SUROV: Did you plan to have such a long pause before the tournament or it just happened to be so?

V.KRAMNIK: No, of course I planned it. I had a very tense year, I even thought it was the tensest year in my entire chess career. I played more games than in any other year, like around 100 games per year. Taking into account my pension age it was really a lot for me. So it was a well-thought out idea to have some rest. That's why I denied invitation to Zurich, although I would love to play there. I just needed to take a short pause. I mean in order to have a valuable preparation, first you should have a full-fledged rest from chess. I tried to do so in December and early January, then I started preparation. So, I didn't really have time for playing somewhere. This is how it was.

S. KARJAKIN: The Candidates is the most important tournament for any chessplayer. Not everyone can qualify. I was helped by my company “Alpari” which paid for my coaches. Without it I could not have coped.

In my pre-tourney prep I had four coaches plus a fitness trainer and a masseur – a whole team of assistants. Hopefully our work was not done for nothing.

The training was held in a very warm country. We swam in the sea there, played volleyball, played sports – which may seem a little strange when coming to cold Khanty-Mansiysk. I absorb energy from the sea.

(Karjakin will have the help of Rustam Kasimdzhanov in Khanty-Mansiysk and remote help from Yuri Dokhoyan and Alexander Motylev)

Comment

EDT Start? - Candidates'

Hi Wayne:

Is it 10 hr. difference between KM and Toronto's EDT? If so , then that would make it a 7:00 AM start for us?

Bob A

Comment

Re: EDT Start? - Candidates'

Bob,

These time differences always get me going. If you go to

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...313T15&p1=2340

it says that an event time of 3:00 p.m. in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia is 5:00 a.m. in Toronto.

The official site has not announced commentators or what type of program they will be having live.

Comment

Re: Top 3 Finishers?: Candidates Tournament 2014

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Hi Gary:

My prediction on the top 3:

1. Vladimir - gets another shot at taking back the title!
                    2. Aronian
                    3. Veselin

What are your top 3 predictions, and in what order??

Bob A
                    I don't have a top 3. Only an opinion on how I think Anand will perform.

Like most IA's, I don't care how they place.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                      A recent poll on who will win the Candidates at qualitychess.co.uk had the following numbers:

Total votes – 292

Aronian (128 votes, 43%)
                      Kramnik (119 votes, 40%)
                      Karjakin (3 votes, 1%)
                      Svidler (6 votes, 2%)
                      Mamedyarov (4 votes, 1%)
                      Andreikin (5 votes, 1%)
                      Topalov (15 votes, 5%)
                      Anand (12 votes, 4%)

Myself, I think Topalov will come out of the opening gate strongly.

I feel many enthusiasts must be tired of the brutal winter and the terrible world political situation and are looking for some diversion.

Colin Crouch wrote yesterday:

It's Sunday night, and for once I want to think about something other than the world crisis, and the presumed terrorist bombings against China, and the far from veiled threat by Russia, against Ukraine.

Time to relax. For the rest of the month, I would like to watch some really heavy high-level chess at the Candidates'. I know that I have predicted several months ago that Aronian would win the Candidates', and will provide a really tense opposition against Carlsen. This however is probability, not certainty.

To which I say, “Amen”.
                      Out of those 8 players, I would predict that only Levon Aronian has the biggest chance to beat Carlsen. "Amen". I wish Caruana is on the mix.
                      Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Thursday, 13th March, 2014, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Candidates 2014
                        Khanty-Mansiysk
                        Round One
                        Thursday, March 13, 2014

First Round Results

Andreikin, Dmitry – Kramnik, Vladimir 0.5-0.5
                        Karjakin, Sergey – Svidler, Peter 0.5-0.5
                        Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar – Topalov, Veselin 0.5-0.5
                        Anand, Viswanathan – Aronian, Levon 1-0

The commentators are Viktorija Cmilyte GM from Lithuania and Peter Heine Nielsen GM from Denmark.

The first game to finish is Andrekin-Kramnik, a draw. Kramnik commented that as he played his first game with the black pieces, he just wanted to get warmed up for the tournament. He didn’t say how deep his preparation was but noted that he already had the position, in the NimzoIndian after 21..Qe4 against Mamedyarov, who took a draw with perpetual check.

The press conference was friendly. There was a question about Kramnik being in Ukraine in February doing some preparation. He was to meet a friend to discuss things in Kiev but he was “busy”. Kramnik noted that his father is Russian and his mother, Ukrainian.

Candidates 2014
                        Round One
                        March 13, 2014
                        Andreikin, Dmitry-Kramnik, Vladimir
                        E32 Nimzo-Indian, Classical Variation

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qc2 O-O 5. a3 Bxc3 6. Qxc3 d5 7. Nf3 dxc4 8. Qxc4 b6 9. Bg5 Ba6 10. Qa4 Qd7 11. Qc2 c5 12. dxc5 Rc8 13. Bxf6 gxf6 14. Qe4 Qb5 15. b4 bxc5 16. e3 Qb7 17. Qg4 Kf8 18. b5 Bxb5 19. Rb1 a6 20. a4 f5 21. Qf4 Qe4 22. Qxe4 fxe4 23. axb5 exf3 24. b6 Rd8 25. gxf3 Nc6 26. f4 Nb4 27. Bg2 Rab8 28. b7 Nd5 29. O-O Rd7 30. Rfc1 Rdxb7 31. Rxb7 Rxb7 32. Bxd5 exd5 0.5-0.5

Candidates 2014
                        Round One
                        March 13, 2014
                        Karjakin, Sergey - Svidler, Peter
                        B48 Sicilian, Taimanov Variation

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nc6 5. Nc3 Qc7 6. Be3 a6 7. Qd2 Nf6 8. f4 b5 9. e5 Ng4 10. Bg1 Bb7 11. O-O-O Nxd4 12. Bxd4 Be7 13. Bd3 f5 14. h3 Nh6 15. Rhg1 O-O 16. Qe3 Rac8 17. Kb1 Bc6 18. Ne2 Bd5 19. g4 g6 20. b3 Qb7 21. Rdf1 a5 22. Ng3 Bc4 23. Be4 Bd5 24. Bd3 Bc4 25. Be4 Bd5 26. Bd3 0.5-0.5

Candidates 2014
                        Round One
                        March 13, 2014
                        Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar – Topalov, Veselin
                        D11 QGD Slav, Breyer Variation

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nbd2 g6 5. e3 Bg7 6. Bd3 c5 7. dxc5 Na6 8. Nb3 dxc4 9. Bxc4 Qxd1 10. Kxd1 Ne4 11. Ke2 Naxc5 12. Nxc5 Nxc5 13. Bb5 Bd7 14. Bxd7 Kxd7 15. Rd1 Ke8 16. Rb1 Rc8 17. Bd2 Ne4 18. Bb4 f5 19. Ne1 a5 20. Bxa5 Ra8 21. Rd5 b6 22. Bb4 Rxa2 23. Nd3 Kf7 24. Rc1 Rha8 25. Rc2 Nf6 26. Ne5 Ke8 27. Rb5 R2a7 28. Ba3 Ra5 29. Rc7 Rxb5 30. Rxe7 Kd8 31. Nf7 Kc8 32. Nd6 Kd8 33. Rxg7 Rd5 34. Nb7 Kc8 35. Nd6 Kd8 36. Nb7 Kc8 0.5-0.5

Candidates 2014
                        Round One
                        March 13, 2014
                        Anand, Viswanathan – Aronian, Levon
                        C88 Ruy Lopez, Closed (8.h3)

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 O-O 8. h3 Bb7 9. d3 d5 10. exd5 Nxd5 11. Nbd2 Qd7 12. Nxe5 Nxe5 13. Rxe5 Nf6 14. Re1 Rae8 15. Nf3 Bd6 16. Be3 Re7 17. d4 Rfe8 18. c3 h6 19. Ne5 Bxe5 20. dxe5 Rxe5 21. Qxd7 Nxd7 22. Red1 Nf6 23. c4 c6 24. Rac1 R5e7 25. a4 bxc4 26. Bxc4 Nd5 27. Bc5 Re4 28. f3 R4e5 29. Kf2 Bc8 30. Bf1 R5e6 31. Rd3 Nf4 32. Rb3 Rd8 33. Be3 Nd5 34. Bd2 Nf6 35. Ba5 Rde8 36. Rb6 Re5 37. Bc3 Nd5 38. Bxe5 Nxb6 39. Bd4 Nxa4 40. Rxc6 Rd8 41. Rc4 Bd7 42. b3 Bb5 43. Rb4 Nb2 44. Bxb5 axb5 45. Ke3 Re8 46. Kd2 Rd8 47. Kc3 1-0

The pairings for this tournament were known well in advance. In Karjakin-Svidler, Peter was asked, “So you had one month to prepare for Karjakin..?” Svidler said that he checked many lines and he thought there was a big probability that this setup will occur. This morning he spent three hours repeating all the variations, but somehow he forgot to look at 8.f4.

Karjakin said that he also expected this line but he forgot the preparation.

Svidler was pleased that he survived the initial assault but he just couldn’t see how to develop the play. He felt stuck. There was an option to open the game with 23…fxe4 24.bxc4 bxc4 25.Ka1 where black would get some counterplay on the queenside, but his knight would still remain out of play. Karjakin suggested 24…Rxc4 as possible improvement and Svidler admitted that he didn’t really look at this as “opening the b-file felt natural”.
                        _________

Mameyarov had the better of the game against Topalov. He should have checked with his knight on c6 rather than 31.f7. The sacrifice 33…Rxb2 is better for white.

Mamedyarov admitted that he didn’t get anything from the opening, but after maneuvering the knight to d3 he thought he got some chances. Near the end of the game he thought that he was on the brink of winning, but he just couldn’t finish black off, as there always was some only move that saves the day for Topalov.

In the end the Azeri was forced to drop the ambitions and take a draw with perpetual check.

In Anand-Aronian, Vishy said it was a typical Marshall and at the end he had a strong game and Levon was running short of time. Aronian said that he thought he had a comfortable position but he had underestimated 19. Ne5! and never recovered.

Aronian said that he starts playing better after a loss, so he might as well get it over! Anastasia Karlovich, the interviewer, said that Tal used to lose in the first round too, but usually recovered to win the tournament!

Viewers’ Comments

- Fantastic start for Vishy. Well done! I now I have no idea who will win. If Anand's biggest issues over the last few years have been a lack of confidence and killer instinct, this is one way to overcome them quickly.

- A very game nice win by Anand - former World Champion. Anand beats his biggest rival here in this field thereby once again beating an opponent against whom he has a negative score.
                        Quite a masterpiece this game was

- Anand is not back yet! 
Just a single wining the first round of a big event does not clear the memory of last 2 years of history.
                        However, Anand's win is good for Kramnik! Still, there are lots of rounds to go guys, just wait for 4 games, and then you can have better judgements on player's forms.
                        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Thursday, 13th March, 2014, 12:33 PM. Reason: added scores and comments

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                          Candidates 2014
                          Khanty-Mansiysk
                          Round One
                          Thursday, March 13, 2014

First Round Results

Andreikin, Dmitry – Kramnik, Vladimir 0.5-0.5
                          Karjakin, Sergey – Svidler, Peter 0.5-0.5
                          Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar – Topalov, Veselin 0.5-0.5
                          Anand, Viswanathan – Aronian, Levon 1-0

...some stuff removed...

Viewers’ Comments

- Fantastic start for Vishy. Well done! I now I have no idea who will win. If Anand's biggest issues over the last few years have been a lack of confidence and killer instinct, this is one way to overcome them quickly.

- A very game nice win by Anand - former World Champion. Anand beats his biggest rival here in this field thereby once again beating an opponent against whom he has a negative score.
                          Quite a masterpiece this game was

- Anand is not back yet! 
Just a single wining the first round of a big event does not clear the memory of last 2 years of history.
                          However, Anand's win is good for Kramnik! Still, there are lots of rounds to go guys, just wait for 4 games, and then you can have better judgements on player's forms.
                          On the other hand, if Anand had lost in the first round, he would have been written off immediately. How cruel can be the peanut gallery. It was nice to see him get a win against Aronian (I have nothing but respect for both players) since I think this injects some artificial balance into the Candidates by showing it won't be a cake walk for Aronian and anyone can win on any given day. I think it may turn out to be rather close race between 3 or 4 players.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            On the other hand, if Anand had lost in the first round, he would have been written off immediately. How cruel can be the peanut gallery. It was nice to see him get a win against Aronian (I have nothing but respect for both players) since I think this injects some artificial balance into the Candidates by showing it won't be a cake walk for Aronian and anyone can win on any given day. I think it may turn out to be rather close race between 3 or 4 players.
                            That's what happens when you have 4 years of lackluster results. He lost all the rope he gained in the 1990s when he barely beat Gelfand and he performed like an average 2700 against Carlsen.
                            Shameless self-promotion on display here
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I think a lot of us in Canada underestimate the contribution Anand has made to global chess. He single handedly brought world's largest democracy into the chess tent, bringing literally millions of new players as well as countless fans. It was strictly because of him that the last WCC was watched live on television by more people than all the previous championships in history. He has been a truly great champion and remains a great player. It was wonderful to see him gallop out of the starting gate with a decisive win over the tournament favourite.
                              I am still betting on another former champion, Kramnik, as the most probable winner of the event but it is great that Anand has started off so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                                I think a lot of us in Canada underestimate the contribution Anand has made to global chess.
                                That is an interesting sentence. Why do you think though?

Comment

Working...
                                X