Spraggett on Chess
    Canada's Top Chess Website

Kovalyov shames CFC community
    January 27, 2014
    By kevinspraggettonchess
    in Opinion
    Leave a comment
    75891_745311925481181_345888726_n

To regular readers of this blog 21-year old Grandmaster Anton Kovalyov is no stranger! Born in the Ukraine in 1992, the family emigrated to Argentina while Anton was still a young child. In Buenos Aires he learned the moves and quickly made progress, attracting the attention of the country’s top trainers and coaches. Unhappy with the economic prospects that Argentina offered, the family then moved to Canada in the summer of 2007. Anton was by then a 15-year old IM and one of the world’s top juniors.

I was approached by the mother (while Anton played in Spain and Portugal in 2007) to see if I could help get some financial support for the budding prodigy to develop his worldclass talent. I quickly found a Montreal sponsor for $15,000, but what then followed is a typical story of a chess community crippled by corrupt leadership, mediocrity and petty jealousies.

The Montreal sponsor wanted to have the 15k used for Anton’s chess development and principally to for travel to European tournaments where the opportunities are numerous and of high quality. Problems arose when the CFC was asked to use its tax-charity status to for tax receipts for the 15k: the sponsor quickly realized that the CFC wanted to rip off the money!

First the CFC leadership refused to help Anton because he was not yet a Canadian citizen(!) and next the CFC said it would only help Anton if it could have full control of the 15k and could use it to organize tournaments in Canada for other juniors….where, ofcourse, Anton could participate if he wanted to!

To make a long story short, the sponsor soon walked away and swore to never get involved with the CFC again. Anton –while still one of the top two or three top juniors in the world–was left to stagnate and play in Montreal weekend tournaments.

Anton played in Portugal tournaments on several occasions. He was one of the most gifted juniors I had ever come across.

Over the coming years, even though Anton soon entered the select 2600-plus club for juniors, he was ignored by both the Canadian chess community and the Canadian press. On one occasion Anton phoned a Toronto organizer to ask for an invitation to play in one of its International Opens, but was refused– even though he was clearly the best player living in Canada.

Discouraged by these and other develpments, Anton rapidly began to lose interest in chess and began to increasingly think of a future without chess. By his own admission, this past year Anton did not even try to study chess! FORTUNATELY, only recently he was offered a chess-scholarship to a university in Texas and he accepted. Since then, Anton has renewed his interest in chess and has ignited his passion for the game once more. Anton has won the last two tournaments that he has won…Today Anton is the biggest Open winner in North America!

Congrats, Anton! And shame on Canadian chess…

Re: Anton Kovalyov in an article on "Spraggett on Chess" website

It would be interesting to hear the CFC's version. Admittedly, Spraggett is fast and loose with facts but it is a very serious charge to suggest that the CFC actively discouraged one of the outstanding talents to pass through Canada.

Comment

Notice how he never mentions anyone by name? If he had any proof, he would not have been writing an article on it 6 years later.

Comment

Well, I am not privy to all the particulars of this case, but it is similar to other cases where requests for tax-deductible charitable receipts were denied. There are rules governing the issue of tax receipts: one rule is that charitable receipts are not to be issued where the proceeds are directed to a specific individual.

So it seems the CFC is guilty of: correctly applying the charitable tax receipt regulations, and then encouraging a potential sponsor to amend its gift to follow the regulations.

Of course none of this actually prevents the sponsor from helping Anton’s chess development (maybe 10k without the tax receipt).

Comment

I have been involved with other charitable organizations where we have had to reject donations that were individual specific.

Comment

Last night I was thinking about what has just been written. What he wants would clearly break the law. Wasn't KS one of those people who were whining about the CFC losing their charitable status? Then he wants us to break the laws regarding that status to funnel money to a chess player so that people can avoid paying tax. Classic. As GM David Norwood wrote - "Chess players think that the world owes them a living. They are wrong."

Comment

Nothing new under the sun

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...lyov-in-ch-ARG
              more precise: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ull=1#post2105

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Nothing new under the sun
                Spraggett has been 'writing' that huge blockbuster expose of Canadian Chess for YEARS now. What a joke.
                I wonder why he even associates himself with Canada or Canadian Chess anymore?
                "Canada's Top Chess Website" ... P.S. written in Portugal by bitter former Canadian player.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  I have been involved with other charitable organizations where we have had to reject donations that were individual specific.
                  A little creative accounting might have solved this problem.

"This donation of $15,000 is to be used for the further development of all junior chess players currently residing in Canada who have reached a level of at least 2600 FIDE rating."

In this way the donation is not 'individual specific' even though Anton would clearly be the only one to benefit at the time.

Comment

"Creative accounting"? It is called cheating the system. If you think even the worst auditor in the world would not see the $15K in and $15K out to only one person, you are mistaken. That is the type of behaviour that ruins organizations and the descent people who run, volunteer and pay money to them. I feel for Kovalyov, but his living is his problem. Not the problem of the CFC, organizers in Toronto, or anyone else. Send him a cheque of you want, don't send him my money.

That being said, Kevin's article today about corruption in FIDE is a great job. Facts make all the difference, as opposed to innuendo.

Comment

This is starting to sound like there is no disagreement over the amount or the decision not to issue a tax receipt. The only thing I'm reading is a defense of why a receipt was not issued.

A case of what happened from one side and the reasons from the other.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The whole story doesn't make much sense to me. If they give $15,000 and receive a donation credit worth $x, their effective donation is $15,000 - $x.

If the CFC declined to issue them a tax receipt what would be stopping them from just donating the after tax amount?

Comment

I don't know. I wonder if the level of donations has dropped with the loss of the charitable status.

I send the CCCA donations from time to time even though I don't get a tax receipt. It never occurred to me to deduct for not getting a tax break.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                            That being said, Kevin's article today about corruption in FIDE is a great job. Facts make all the difference, as opposed to innuendo.
                            I am just about to look for that article. However, I have serious doubts whether the corruption will change much. Kasparov and Leong have had their secret agreement recently published.

Supplemental: Is this the article? (FIDE -- AGON Memorandum) ?

I don't know what's worse? Someone who claims to have been abducted by space aliens (Kirsan I.) or someone whose political career has been supported by the WSJ for whom he's been writing lucrative fluff pieces for years. Kaparov had more support outside of Russia than he had among the voters. Ditto for Navalny, who is now the "approved" candidate, after Kasparov abandoned his campaign. He never even managed to get more votes than the Communists.

I take door number 3. The IOC has that perfume of corruption, what with all the truckloads of money they make, ditto probably for FIFA (though their anti-racist campaigns are to be commended) ... so corruption in FIDE? No surprise. Just a big disappointment.

PS. The big Federations that might get together to improve FIDE, AFAIK have been spending a lot of energy crapping over each other. There was that dispute with France, Germany, and Turkey, etc., etc., .
                            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 28th January, 2014, 05:58 PM. Reason: stuff
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              This is starting to sound like there is no disagreement over the amount or the decision not to issue a tax receipt. The only thing I'm reading is a defense of why a receipt was not issued.

A case of what happened from one side and the reasons from the other.
                              Well nobody actually involved in the decision on the CFC side has commented, so it's really just a hypothetical discussion at this point.
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                              X