Starting to study.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to study.

Hello everyone. I got back into chess in 2010 and have now decided to take my game to the next level. Does anyone have any ideas on how the best way to study openings are? I am going to start off with d4 with white and not to sure of the black openings I am going to choose.

Re: Starting to study.

Stephen
    I returned to chess in 2006 after 40 years away and am an expert in what not to study.
    First, do not spend much time on openings. It does depend on your level but below master level I would guess that most club and tournament games are out of "book" within 10 moves, many in 5.
    Second, drill your tactics, tactics, tactics. This is where perhaps 90 per cent of club games are decided.
    Third, if you have a basic knowledge of endings that you can summon in time pressure you will be far ahead of most of your opponents.
    Good luck.

Comment

Re: Starting to study.

Hello Stephen

Here is some advice I remberer hearing from FM Frank Pushkedra,
      Is to find a top GM who plays the same Openings as you do so and copy them
      Also to study the types of middle and endgames that result from thier play.

The other way is to take an opening and follow the games of the best players up thru history of said opening
      Last edited by Lee Hendon; Friday, 28th February, 2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X