X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judit Polgar's website

http://juditpolgar.com/ always inspirational

Re: Judit Polgar's website

I don't see any corroboration at Judit's own website, but she has apparently announced her retirement from competitive chess to 'The Times' ):

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...cle4174532.ece
    Last edited by Jack Maguire; Tuesday, 12th August, 2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Judit Polgar’s Website

“I don't see any collaboration at Judit's own website, but she has apparently announced her retirement from competitive chess to 'The Times' “

Jack,

I like the stuff you write, but I think you mean “corroboration” not “collaboration” here.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
        Judit Polgar’s Website

“I don't see any collaboration at Judit's own website, but she has apparently announced her retirement from competitive chess to 'The Times' “

Jack,

I like the stuff you write, but I think you mean “corroboration” not “collaboration” here.
        Thanks, Wayne. Blame it on a brain cramp (:

Comment

The ChessBase feature on Judit has some great old pix (:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/judit-p...petitive-chess

Comment

End of an era. All the Polgar sisters are now retired from international chess play. I never thought I'd live to see the day.

Comment

retired from 'international chess play'- does that mean she'll still show up for the, say, Budapest Chess Club Holiday Weekend Swiss?

Comment

If true, her timing is perfect. She's quitting while still on top of the ratings for women, but who knows how long before Chinese GM Hao Yifan or another GM passes her on the ratings list. (Maybe!)

I imagine that even with the efforts of her sister Susan who preceded her, Judit probably has plenty of stories to tell about the difficulties of a woman GM playing against male GMs over the years. Maybe in a memoir, down the road? For now, she deserves to bask in the glow of a brilliant and ground-breaking career.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

The right thing to do. She might play here and there some "exhibition" matches, as tennis greats do, but to keep her 2700 level at the expense of her children would not make sense. I remember her at the Junior World Championship in 1988 in Timisoara, Romania, playing Kamsky and Istratescu for the U14 gold medal. All three made it to 2700 level.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                    Judit probably has plenty of stories to tell about the difficulties of a woman GM playing against male GMs over the years. Maybe in a memoir, down the road? For now, she deserves to bask in the glow of a brilliant and ground-breaking career.
                    The first two volumes of her autobiography and annotated games have already been published by Quality Chess. The third and final volume is due out this Fall:
                    http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/produc...aches_chess_3/

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                      I imagine that even with the efforts of her sister Susan who preceded her, Judit probably has plenty of stories to tell about the difficulties of a woman GM playing against male GMs over the years. Maybe in a memoir, down the road? For now, she deserves to bask in the glow of a brilliant and ground-breaking career.
                      It's already coming out. See "Judit Polgar Exposes the Sexism of Kings" from WCM Claudia Munoz's site.

Originally posted by theaustralian.com
                      The Hungarian will not go gentle into that good night. In her last interview as a player at the world’s top table, she lamented the struggle it had taken her to break into a club still dominated and defined by men. In a game in which many male grandmasters still insist that women do not have the logical wiring or the belligerence to succeed, Polgar has stood out like a third sex.
                      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

http://juditpolgar.com/en/node/230

Judit Polgar's Official Statement on her Retirement

The greatest woman chess player in history won a silver medal with the Hungarian men’s team at the Olympiad in Tromso, and also announced that after leading the world rankings for more than 25 years and setting a Guinness record with that, she retires from competitive chess. Below you can read Judit Polgar’s official statement on her retirement.

“This summer has proved to be one of the most memorable times of my life.

I feel especially fortunate that my farewell to competitive chess coincides with yet another astonishing success of Hungarian chess in which I played a part. Repeating our triumph of 2002, the men's team claimed the silver medal at the Olympiad in Norway.

In the past quarter of a century, all my life centered on chess. I feel eternally grateful for all the wonderful experiences it has granted me. I am also beholden to those amazing people who have made this possible. I am thankful to my family for their patient love and generosity, to my fans for their unwavering support, to my trainers and team-members for their resolve as well as to my opponents for their vigorous challenge.

It is, however, now time for me to turn my attention to the generation of my own young children and help create opportunities that were so hard for me and my sisters to come by. With a special focus on chess as an educational tool, the Judit Polgar Chess Foundation promotes pioneering cognitive skills development for school children. It also organizes the annual Polgar Chess Festival, a large-scale public event that promotes chess and learning. My sister, Sophia, and I have been working on a unique chess-based curriculum. The Chess Palace program is gradually being introduced at schools in Hungary and internationally.

I also feel that I owe it to my children, Oliver and Hanna, to spend much more quality-time together. I look forward to this more than anything.

With these plans and more, my retirement from chess promises to be rather busy. Still, I promise to keep a close eye on the world of chess. And as the saying goes, never say never...”

Judit Polgar

Comment

Judit (along with her sister, Sofia) is still very much in the news (:

http://www.chess.com/news/polgar-che...tic-match-5324

Comment

Working...
                          X