KW Winter Open - tournament report - Kitchener Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KW Winter Open - tournament report - Kitchener Ontario

Instead of the attractive 110 preregisters we actually had 65 players with good pairing numbers (16 in the top section). Interesting games and interesting results. The 3 masters in the top section were upset - some more than once. William Klarner, recently returned from Germany, lost 4 games to experts. Michael Dougherty looked to be cruising to another tournament win in Kitchener but was upset in the last round by Vlad Drkulec. Congratulations Vlad on a great tournament result tying for 1st with Gord Olheiser (ditto Gord!) Mahmud Hassain outclassed the field in the under 2000 with a perfect 5-0. Derek Rabethge finished clear first in the under 1700. Congratulations Derek! For the first time in a long time 1st place in all sections was taken by local players. Thanks to Gary Gladstone, Adam Cunningham, Tom MacClelland, George Dragasanu, Ed Thompson, Patrick, Eva, Justin, Melissa, big Jim and all the other volunteers who made up the great team. Lots of players had fun.
    Special thanks to Bob Gillanders who showed me he can play like a master when he wants to.

Re: KW Winter Open - tournament report - Kitchener Ontario

Hello,

Terrific event. Very well organized as always. I seem to do reasonably in Kitchener too! Looking forward to playing there again in the Summer.

I quite enjoyed all my games. The one I liked most, Round 5, was unfortunately ripped apart by Fritz as I got home and ran it through.
    To my defense, I couldn't understand why I wasn't just up a pawn without comp in the opening and struggled to get out of it when Geordie unleashed a vicious attack on me where I had to sidestep lots of traps not to get mated. Luckily my opponent missed 16...Qe7 winning. When playing on the increment in time pressure I also overlooked the elementary 31.Ra3. Thanks Bob Armstrong for being our fan and putting up with a ton of flawed analyzes in the post-mortem.

Ferreira,A (2060) - Derraugh,G (2063) [A00]
    KW Winter Open 2009 (5), 16.02.2009

1.Nc3 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nxe4 e5 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.Ng5 Be6 6.Bxe6 fxe6 7.Nxe6 Qd7 8.Nxf8 Rxf8 9.Ne2 Nc6 10.0-0 0-0-0 11.d3 e4 12.d4 Ne5 13.Be3 Nf3+ 14.Kh1 Ng4 15.gxf3 exf3 16.Ng3 h5 17.Rg1 Nxe3 18.fxe3 h4 19.Nf1 h3 20.e4 Rf4 21.Rg3 Rdf8 22.Qd3 g5 23.Ne3 g4 24.Nc4 f2 25.Nd2 Qf7 26.Rf1 Qxa2 27.Qa3 Qe6 28.Qxa7 c6 29.Qa8+ Kd7 30.Qxb7+ Kd8 31.d5 cxd5 32.Qxd5+ Qxd5 33.exd5 Re8 34.Ra3 Re1 35.Ra1 Rd4 36.Raxe1 fxe1Q 37.Rxe1 Rxd2 38.Rg1 Rxc2 39.b3 Rb2 40.Rxg4 Rb1+ 41.Rg1 Rxb3 42.Rg3 ½-½

Thanks Patrick and company for organizing another great event.

Alex F.

Comment

The game is now posted on Chess5 ( http://www.chess5.com ) for those who want to play it over. Click on " Public Games " on the home page - the game is on the February list.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Hans,

I have always enjoyed playing in Kitchener. Hats off to Patrick McDonald and the rest of the crew from the Kitchener Chess Club who always seem to run a smooth tournament.

Lets not forget the team competition where 5.f3! (Alvah Mayo, John Jordan, Tim Knechtel and myself) won on a very narrow tie break after a three way tie with Liam Henry's Chess n Math squad and Mikhail Egorov and Mei Chen Lee's Hamilton team who all finished with 12.5 points.

Comment

Hi guys,

After a long 4-day work week, recently uploaded last night to TD Pat McDonald are the score-sheets that the Organizers received, some of which even featured time-usage numbers attached. This time, many score-sheets were not as ambiguous/illegible as other events, but please double-check them for errors.

That colour-pairings print-out by round also sure helped a bunch, & found a way to pre-enter tournament pairings header info via chessbase, even though, as far as I can tell, one cannot specify which pairing method to use using chessbase alone to pair a tournament/swiss/round-robin (or I'm not correctly reading the proper help page). Also of note is how one should specify the byes (ie does one name each bye as a different player, or just divide them by forced & unforced bye players, or something else similar, & what rating to assign them, so as to get them to calculate a CDN version of the R(perf)? - I used a bye to mean a rating of 1, like the CFC does for unrated bye players, if I understood correctly), & what colour the pairing program thinks that they are due for.

Pat can decide where he wants to post the pgn from there, so please look for a link from him. I also got to playing around with the creation of text introductions this time, & if he is able to view both the cbh (using the T command ina games list window provides a table with click-able games links) & pgn sent, then he may be able to convert the former version to a friendly html page that can match the site: http://www.kwchess.com/kwwinter09/kwwo09standings.html .

An interesting sighting was a TD summons in Olheiser vs Mayo by the latter, when a player, Hassain, allegedly attempted to close a set of blinds (the sun was bad that afternoon on level 10, but at least they didn't have a wedding parade on 2 for 1/2+ hour shortly prior), but may have interfered with somehow touching black, who stopped the clocks (as per TD instructions), much to the confusion of white. This all occurred shortly after (maybe 2 or 3 moves) I personally took an observation of the board, when black may have been permanently dropping a piece, indicated in the pgn with a short note, though I didn't see the excess hovering over the board at that time-point.

Pat may wish to note that Ferreira vs Derraugh is not present in that game-score yet, since I was under the understanding that it was played elsewhere.

Kai

Comment

Hi Alex, Interesting game. Nc3! Good choice. However why would you not play Nxe6, fxe6 and then Bxe6 owning the white squares with a positional won game? Keep playing those interesting openings. Hans

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              Hi Alex, Interesting game. Nc3! Good choice. However why would you not play Nxe6, fxe6 and then Bxe6 owning the white squares with a positional won game? Keep playing those interesting openings. Hans
              Hi Hans,

This was the computer's suggestion as well. For some reason I was worried about black's dark squared bishop (coming to c5 maybe) and was happy to get another set of minors off the board, which didn't turn out too well.
              Live and learn ;-)

Alex F.

Comment

Just want to say a quick thank you to Patrick, Ed and team for a great weekend tournament. The Kitchener tournament is always very well run and filled with many friendly and familiar faces.

My favourite part of the tournament this time is the team event. It is always nice to cheer someone on, more so if they are from your own team! :)

Thank you again for all the hard work. I look forward to the next Kitchener event.
                ________
                Justin Bieber Fans
                Last edited by Mei Chen Lee; Thursday, 24th March, 2011, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Another interesting story that came up at the event was that Mate, Vlad & I were among the first of a few arriving during the 3rd morning, around 9:00-9:30AM. Mate got to asking about which side of the Italian games with (I) 3 ... Nf6: (A) d3; (B) d4; (C) Ng5, etc; (II) 3 ... Bc5 (A) d3; (B) c3; (C) Nc3, etc that Vlad would rather be on, in general. Vlad said something about general preference for black, & also had other stories to say about not really having played it (not sure if he meant the defensive side or also the attacking side as well) much at all seriously since his high school days. Later on, after the next round, Vlad said to me that he saw Dougherty come in relatively early, too - & that maybe Dougherty overheard part of the debacle at the skittles table. That round, they met up, & the game went 1 e4 e5 2 Bc4 Bc5 (more to be seen about this when the games come in for upload) 3 Nf3 Nc6 4 b4 Bxb4 5 c3 Ba5, accepting an Evans Gambit, & an eventual transposition to one of the sidelines that may have been previously discussed, with Vlad taking a bit of an upset with black in terms of rating points differential. This game may have contributed to splitting the tournament pot later, as nobody finished with 3 points. Vlad said to us: I think you may be right! - or was it a mere coincidence that this old line got played, albeit by transposition?!

Knechtel & Farine also played the U2000 on 10 in round 5 & Knechtel did not realize that Farine was keeping an eye on the standings chart as they were being reported. The reason? Farine was seeking a win, to get a presumably larger % of the pot (I presume only individual pot), but I believe that Knechtel held him to a drawn R+P(s) v R+P(s) ending before he could get a Lucena type of bridge-building position (which was what the ending was by the time he most lately checked the standings).

As it turned out, Farine probably could no longer capture (in part or in whole) the money or book prize as a result, but Knechtel asked afterwards: "you mean to tell me that that was for money?!" - & a Knechtel laughter broke out following, as they quickly debated about knowing how to stop the ending many times before (a classic for the many times active weekend circuit tournament player, a classical Chessic Commandment being: "though shalt know thy Rook & Pawns endings, & how to swindle away a 1/2 point out of a critical Swiss tourney tie-breaking..."). They finished either last or 2nd last in terms of time duration used, but "5 f3!" wound up beating both "CMA-I" & "Hamilton" (Farine representing the latter), but only by tie-breaks (One should note that there may have been more games to finish on the 2nd floor room that were as yet unreported to the upstairs crew, but no matter, as the the teams consisted of random selections of players across all 3 sections)!

Guess that Knechtel really did get to share part of the last laugh, after all!

With any luck, perhaps these one of these two may be able to upload this game-score, which wasn't submitted.

Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    The game is now posted on Chess5 ( http://www.chess5.com ) for those who want to play it over. Click on " Public Games " on the home page - the game is on the February list.

Bob
                    Do you need to create and register an account at Chess 5 simply to view other people's games?
                    OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
                    http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Hi Alex:

I don't think so. You only need to register if you want to make comments on the games.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                      X