OCA Governors - To Decide if CFC Members Can Elect CFC Governors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCA Governors - To Decide if CFC Members Can Elect CFC Governors

Today I filed with the OCA Secretary, Michael von Keitz, a formal motion to amend the OCA Bylaws. Here is my letter to him:

Feb. 20, 2009

Hi Michael:

I am now formally filing my motion on amending the OCA Bylaws to allow Ontario CFC members to “ elect “ the regional Ontario CFC Governors ( currently they are elected by the OCA Governors ). The motion is attached, and it is formally moved/seconded on my behalf by OCA Governor Kerry Liles, OCA Treasurer, and OCA Governor Michael von Keitz, OCA Secretary, respectively.

This matter was put over to the OCA AGM this Spring by Chris Mallon, on the filing of my original brief on this matter.

I would ask that you forward this e-mail and its attachment to all OCA Governors.

I am considering attending the AGM, if I will be able to speak to the motion, and answer questions on it, along with my mover and seconder. Please let me know if I will be recognized, though not an OCA Governor.

Thank you.

Bob

I would ask all Ontario CFC Members to support this motion, and to contact your OCA Governors to let them know you want this motion passed ( or a motion passed with similar wording that effects the purpose ).

I would also renew my request, now that the motion is formally filed, that the CFC communicate with the OCA and confirm that it supports the thrust of this motion. I would ask that this support for the motion then be made public. It is a matter of some importance to the CFC, to have the OCA affiliate conform to the CFC Handbook on the election of CFC Governors.

Bob

Re: OCA Governors - To Decide if CFC Members Can Elect CFC Governors

When I was a CFC governor I was selling at least 100 memberships through the club. The club was CFC affiliated in that to be a member of the club a player also had to purchase a valid CFC membership if he didn't already have one. Of course, if the club had not been given a governor that arrangement would have ended. No taxation without representation, so to speak.

The governors places belong to the people who sell memberships and organize the clubs and CFC rated events. It should never be a popularity contest.

More emphasis has to be put on the poor players and beginners to market the game to them and help them improve their game. The CFC needs a patzers representative not a masters representative.

To market to seniors there has to be a seniors discount (for over 60 or 65). The world works on this kind of stuff. When I shop at a store I ask what day is Seniors day and then I write it down so I won't forget. Fat chance I would forget. Even the banks have seniors rates for things like chequing accounts. Like no service charges.

When an organization depends on members and memberships it has to be run and governed by people who can sell the memberships. IMHO.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: OCA Governors - To Decide if CFC Members Can Elect CFC Governors

You are bang on Gary:

The CFC has to realize that to keep a strong base they have to offer the lower end a reasonable reason to want to join the CFC and play rated CFC games.
      Once their base is solid with many members, then I'm in full support of using the membership funds to help the Masters etc.

Let us all remember that unless you were born with some extra ordinary talent for chess, you will always just be a wood pusher. It is us wood pushers that keep the ball rolling.

Governors should be people who are interested in bringing in memberships and keeping the organization in check. I think too many of our present day Governors were elected by friends.

The present Executive should look at their current list of Governors and review what has been done by each to promote chess and bring in memberships. If they have been sitting on their laurels then kick them off the band wagon and replace them with proven dedicated promoters of chess.

If we have a strong Governor base that is for promoting and maintaining a desirable level of chess than they will be able to help the CFC grow better.

Comment

Working...
      X