Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Club Ideas - Small City

Hi everyone,

I live in Dawson Creek, BC. I started up a chess club in November and have had moderate interest, mostly from a few junior players and a couple of adults that come. I'm looking for some ideas and/or feedback on how I should set things up now and in the future with chess in our community.

The challenges with Dawson Creek are that it is fairly isolated (Grande Prairie is 90 minutes away and is the only other place with a close"ish" club. Not even close enough to drive to for an evening of chess for the most part. It is also not large - population of around 12,000 or so.

Currently the club runs out of a local elementary school for free - Tuesday evenings from 6-9pm. Everyone that comes is still fairly new to chess, though there have been a couple adults who dropped in once or twice who are decent, but don't seem too interested in playing anything more than casual chess for now.

I am not the strongest of players myself, so I have kept the teaching to simple stuff - chess notation, basic development of pieces, using a chess clock - that sort of stuff. Really it's only a few juniors who are interested in that particular portion of things.

My concern is that if we just keep things at a drop-in sort of level every week that perhaps people will eventually get bored of it and things will taper off. There is only one kid who really seems like he wants to go deeper with chess, and would probably play an actual event if there was one offered. I might be able to get him to come to a Saturday active event in Grande Prairie down the road.

Our community does not have a lot of schools (4-5 elementary schools, 1 middle school, 1 high school, and a coupleprivate schools with small numbers of kids in them) but should I try and generate more of a scholastic level of chess in the community somehow? I work until 5 every day, so after school won't work, but I could potentially do something on my lunch break if it was a good use of my time.

Should I look to run a Saturday event myself in town and see what kind of interest there might be?

Right now I've got a facebook site up, a website (that is just barebones and I could develop more), and I did the typical poster thing as well which drew in a few folks. I also ran a tv spot on the local community news on how to play chess which gave a little nod to the chess club as well at the end of it. Are there any other ways I should be looking to promote?

I am open to any suggestions. I drive to Edmonton 4-5 times a year (6-7 hours away) to play chess and was hoping to develop at least a small group of folks who might want to play the odd weekend event or something, but perhaps I am expecting too much from a community as small as the one I live in.

Interestingly enough, funding is probably one of the few things I could get my hands on if I had people. The BC Chess federation graciously donated 6 sets and I purchased 4 clocks for the club as well just to get things started, but I could find other areas of support in the city, though probably there would need to be at least a decent number of kids involved to make it easier.

Interested in any thoughts you folks might have as I know some of you have experience in this area. Thanks.

Re: Chess Club Ideas - Small City

Great work you do.
    For now contact Bob Armstong and obtain all his newsletters (Toronto ...). You'll get ideas what other clubs do to keep people busy.

Comment

Joel, you have made an excellent start, website, free club site, well done.
      Obviously, a viable chess club for such a small community is an uphill battle, but not impossible.

You do have a problem with your website. The events page is empty if you access it via the home page, but I see I can access 2 event items via googling them. You probably want to get that fixed.

I would suggest you run a club rated tournament. You can get a free copy of SwissSys software from CFC website. Everybody loves ratings. Especially the kids, really. Do your own club ratings, at least at first. :)

Good luck.

Comment

Hi Joel:

Great to see you promoting chess locally.

I publish the Toronto Chess News (TCN), an e-mail chess newsletter. It covers all chess, international, national and local. One of its features is news reports from local clubs.

You can see some of the older Issues archived at www.TorontoChessNews.com (there is currently a glitch, and lack of time, that has kept the site dormant the last while, but I hope to fix that in the next two days, and then the most recent Issues will also be there). But the old ones will give you some ideas.

Also, send me your e-mail, and I'll send you that last Issue (canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com).

The newsletter is free. If you like it, it may be a way of sustaining chess interest in your chess contacts in the club, by getting them to subscribe, and thus have chess raised for them in a new way 2X per month. They also may then think more highly of "chess clubs" if they like what they read in the clubs "news section". I think my subscribers generally agree that although it is not exactly "professional", it does an adequate job.

Bob Armstrong, Editor, TCN
        Canadian Chess Consulting Service (CCCS), TCN Publisher

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Joel, you have made an excellent start, website, free club site, well done.
          Obviously, a viable chess club for such a small community is an uphill battle, but not impossible.

You do have a problem with your website. The events page is empty if you access it via the home page, but I see I can access 2 event items via googling them. You probably want to get that fixed.

I would suggest you run a club rated tournament. You can get a free copy of SwissSys software from CFC website. Everybody loves ratings. Especially the kids, really. Do your own club ratings, at least at first. :)

Good luck.
          Thanks for the head's up on the website issue. It's not an area of expertise for myself, but hopefully I can get something basic and easily maintainable into action. I'll figure out what's going on with the wacky Events page.

I didn't realize I could get a free copy of SwissSys - thanks for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Joel:

Great to see you promoting chess locally.

I publish the Toronto Chess News (TCN), an e-mail chess newsletter. It covers all chess, international, national and local. One of its features is news reports from local clubs.

You can see some of the older Issues archived at www.TorontoChessNews.com (there is currently a glitch, and lack of time, that has kept the site dormant the last while, but I hope to fix that in the next two days, and then the most recent Issues will also be there). But the old ones will give you some ideas.

Also, send me your e-mail, and I'll send you that last Issue (canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com).

The newsletter is free. If you like it, it may be a way of sustaining chess interest in your chess contacts in the club, by getting them to subscribe, and thus have chess raised for them in a new way 2X per month. They also may then think more highly of "chess clubs" if they like what they read in the clubs "news section". I think my subscribers generally agree that although it is not exactly "professional", it does an adequate job.

Bob Armstrong, Editor, TCN
            Canadian Chess Consulting Service (CCCS), TCN Publisher
            Thanks for this. I'll check out the newsletter and see if it's a fit. The club email address is (dawsoncreekchess @ gmail.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Stainer View Post
              I didn't realize I could get a free copy of SwissSys - thanks for that!
              Well it expires a month or so down the road but you can get a new activation code each time it expires if you continue to run CFC rated tournaments.

Comment

Our son Kai started a chess club with two other chess players here in Williams Lake. The same three have faithfully shown up every Tuesday at the library going on four years.
                We've done a fair bit of publicity in the local papers and radio. They have been good getting out the word about the club.
                In general physical rather than mental pursuits seem to be more highly regarded. It's a bit of an uphill battle. It is changing though. Right now the attendance is good and I think it's growing. 2 more kids have been showing up every week, 3 other kids occasionally. Last week there was an older retired player. That was exciting.
                The value of chess as a learning tool for kids is growing here. That's what Aki and I have concentrated on when we promote.

Susan Polgar has some great information on her site about the value of chess for young minds.

Comment

I've started two clubs in Duncan on Vancouver Island. My interest is both in chess and in teaching. For a background, i played plenty of tournament chess in Winnipeg, a few tourneys here on the Island, acted as a TD for a couple of weekend events, and so on. Winnipeg had, and likely still has, a good chess organization, web site, and chess community. You won't get that in Dawson Creek, nor me in Duncan, but Victoria is perhaps a good idea of what to aim for even if it is somewhat beyond our reach.

For me, the local library was the place to go. It is central, has security, and the only down side is that we have to be out of there at the same time as the librarians. The library does a great deal of publicity that helps enormously. (I could do a lot more, in other words!) So I have children's chess 1145-1300 Satuardays and all-ages 6-8 pm Mondays. Unfortunately, Monday is the very same night that the Victoria club meets.

Running a club is, I believe, an activity which aims at

1. chess for fun, pick-up chess, with large turnover and not much demand for effort;

2. teaching beginners, usually for a small fee, can address both adults and juniors;

3. developing chess talent with a view to having competitive chess events, or participating in such events.

So far, because the clubs are so small, I am able to (somewhat) do all 3. Some players drop in, happy to discover a chess club, and play for fun. They have little desire to study or improve. This is the chess club as a social gathering place, or #1 above.

Secondly, I advertise that "based on demand" I am willing to teach chess, from scratch if necessary. I get a few players, and many children, who fall into this category. This also fits with my desire for practice teaching. A few years ago I arranged to advertise a chess course at the same community centre but, due to lack of interest, the class never took place.

Finally, I took the strongest player to an event in Victoria last November. He got his first tournament win and I expect he will continue to play competitive chess.

Anyway, I think this categorization is useful. Decide what you are trying to achieve, and go for it.
                  Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

A few days ago, Jack Maguire posted a short piece about a homeless man in England who sets up a chess board at a strategic location offering a free game to anyone. He does well with it because many will make a willing donation afterward.
                    Now the same concept could be used to promote a new chess club. Get someone to offer free games and whenever someone sits for a game, they get a free one day pass to your chess club. Each time the pass is used you owe the man $1. If the visitor buys a membership in the club - you go nuts and give him $5.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      A few days ago, Jack Maguire posted a short piece about a homeless man in England who sets up a chess board at a strategic location offering a free game to anyone. He does well with it because many will make a willing donation afterward.
                      Now the same concept could be used to promote a new chess club. Get someone to offer free games and whenever someone sits for a game, they get a free one day pass to your chess club. Each time the pass is used you owe the man $1. If the visitor buys a membership in the club - you go nuts and give him $5.
                      Great idea, Vlad, but the library doesn't want us to charge a fee. In exchange for that, the space is free for the club.
                      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                      X