No room for new members at the SCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No room for new members at the SCC

Over the past several months, membership numbers have skyrocketed at the Scarborough Chess Club. Mostly that is a good thing but there is a downside to our success as a club, namely, we've run out of space for new members. Regulations at the Birkdale Community Centre set maximums for the number of occupants in rooms. We're at that limit now. Consequently, the Scarborough Chess Club will not be accepting new members until further notice. The club executive is exploring ways that we can deal with this problem. Our apologies for anyone who would like to join the SCC but can't right now.

Re: No room for new members at the SCC

I take it you're referring to fire regulation so it's important you follow the capacity limit they have set?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

If you find the thread here on CT where the club in Dawson Creek, BC is desperate for new members, you will see that a solution presents itself. Simply check with Interprovincial Affairs to see if you need an export license to send them the chess players. :)

Comment

Wow, what a problem to have. I'm jealous.

Have you considered splitting the SCC into sections, with different meeting nights? For instance you can have a Juniors only division for a certain age group, or an active/speed chess group versus regular TC chess?

Comment

Nice Problem

Ah! Gary forget the fire regulation "The board the board the board is on fire !"

Comment

Yes, I believe it is a fire regulation. In a previous job, I had to take a fire safety course (my former workplace is a public venue). It can be quite awful what can happen if a fire happens and rules have been disregarded. Chance of a fire -- virtually zero. Possible consequences -- huge. So it is best to be responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
              Yes, I believe it is a fire regulation. In a previous job, I had to take a fire safety course (my former workplace is a public venue). It can be quite awful what can happen if a fire happens and rules have been disregarded. Chance of a fire -- virtually zero. Possible consequences -- huge. So it is best to be responsible.
              As I remember, parents would sit in the same playing hall. Can they find other venue to spend time?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                In a previous job, I had to take a fire safety course (my former workplace is a public venue).
                I took those as well for my line of work. Our fire safety course was putting out a natural gas fire coming out of a pipe. I think it was around 60 PSIG.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There is a nice venue in Aurora ..... not too far ....

Comment

How about the other locations or chess clubs? Do they have the same problem with refusing acceptance to new members??

Comment

Working...
                    X