• New Fischer book for collectors

Maybe Larry will sell copies?

Bobby Fischer - Triumph and Despair
    Publushed by New in Chess
    785 pages, about $550
    Limited Edition (155 numbered copies)
    by David DeLucia

Some of the highlights include:
    1. Complete 1999 diary written in Fischer's hand (300 pages)
    2. Eight Fischer annotated games from Herceg Novi 1970
    3. Seven unrecorded training games (1992) between Fischer and Gligoric (6) and Torre (1)
    4. Over 100 pages of correspondence between Fischer and Gligoric from 1973-1995
    5. The Ed Edmondson notes from the early to mid-1970's regarding Fischer telephone conversations
    6. 62-page typescript by Fischer elaborating the differences between the Batsford and Simon & Schuster editions of 'My 60 Memorable Games'
    7. Two letters written by Fischer to the U.S. consulate while incarcerated in the detention center in Japan
    8. Other letters and memorabilia of Fischer

Re: New Fischer book for collectors

New Fischer Book for Collectors

Bobby Fischer – Triumph and Despair was published mid-April, 2014. The cost was 525 USD. With the high rate of exchange, it cost over 600 CND. The book in its slip-case weighs nine pounds, so you can tack on another $70 for shipping.

Fortunately, a friend of David DeLucia was coming to Toronto and dropped off my copy at no charge.

The book has 786 large pages, 8.5 x 11-inch format, with fine heavy binding. The printing run is 160 copies. The author is David’s daughter, Alessandra DeLucia.

The author says in her Foreword, “The Fischer collection now exceeds 2,000 items. There are over one hundred Fischer game scores, eighty letters, eight manuscript notebooks, over eight hundred books, all sorts of ephemera and memorabilia that span his lifetime. Since (the appearance of) Bobby Fischer Uncensored, my dad was invited by Svetozar Gligorich to visit his home in Serbia to buy all the correspondence between Bobby and Svetozar, as well as other Fischer items. This correspondence spanned over 20 years – mainly the time after Bobby won the world chess championship in 1972 till 1995.”

There are notes made by Ed Edmondson on the Fischer negotiations for the 1972 Fischer-Spassky match and the planned 1975 world chess championship match that never happened.

Some highlights:

1. copies of handwritten games scores (D. Byrne – Fischer, October 17, 1956, for example)

2. eighteen-page working draft entitled “Bobby Fischer Talks Chess” with his games against Smyslov at Havana 1965 fully annotated as well as his game against Rossolimo in the 1966 U.S. Championship. There are snippets of his games with R. Byrne, Saidy, Bisguier, Evans and Zuckerman U.S.C.C. 1965.

3. 36 pages with eight annotated games from Herceg Novi, 1970. This was labeled the greatest blitz tournament of the 20th century. Bobby won with a score of 19 points, 4.5 points ahead of Tal, who came second. These games are not given in Karsten Muller’s compilation.

4. Ed Edmondson notes (see above)

5. Letters to Gligorich (see above)

6. A copy of the cover of “Match Karpov-Korchnoi, Campeonato Mundial de Ajedrez 1978” by Roman Toran. It shows tremendous wear, Bobby reading and re-reading it. That, “Moscow Marathon, The World Chess Championship 1984/85” by J. Speelman and J. Tisdall, and Batsford’s algebraic edition of “My 60 Memorable Games” are the most worn books in Bobby’s 800 plus book library.

7. Ten pages of seven training games between Fischer and Gligorich and Fischer and Eugene Torre prior to his 1992 match with Spassky.

8. Page upon page about the Batsford algebraic edition of his games. The injustice of it all consumed him until the end of his life. Every two weeks he would draft a new complaint – for two years. The drafts exceeded a meter of shelf space.

9. Bobby’s diary written during 1999. The notes start with the theft of his stuff from his storage locker – largely anti-Semitic. They end the same way midway through January 2000.

10. Emails sent by Bobby to Pal Benko for the period 2003-2004. Emails to same 2005 – August 2007.

11. Letters sent from the detention centre in Tokyo, 2004.

The virulence against the Jews is hard to take, be forewarned! It is evidence of his mental illness in the last years of his life.

This book is important for chess historians and interesting to collectors. There are parts that many enthusiasts would like to read but that $700 price tag is steep. The best thing would be to have two or three copies in national libraries that people could access.

When I wanted a copy of “Chess the Hard Way”, 2nd edition by D.A. Yanofsky, I found there were two copies – one in Ottawa and one in British Columbia. I applied to Inter Library Loan and got the one from B.C. and catalogued the differences from the first edition and was quite happy with that.

Actually, I was reluctant to send it back..but there you are!

I can hardly see a 9-pound book coming to your door on loan but making it available in one of the two libraries would not be a difficult thing.

To follow the purchase option – these two sites:

http://www.newinchess.com/Bobby_Fisc...ir-p-7425.html

http://www.chessbookstore.com/home/just-out-1

Comment

Working...
    X