Mr. Excitement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mr. Excitement

Today's crushing win, a beautiful Queen sac, 26-move mate, with the Philidor Defence against Benjamim Bok is just another prime example of how Richard Rapport tends to keep the 17th man very much on his side with his unorthodox opening repertoire. By move 16, Bok was down to 125 seconds on his clock, versus Richard's 40+ minutes. That's got to be worth at least a whole pawn, imho.

Richard passes 2 more elite GMs with this win, Wang Yue (top board for the gold medal winning China team in Tromso) and Alexei Shirov. Richard had the goal of reaching 2750 by the end of 2015 but he now has a shot at realising that goal a whole year ahead of schedule (:

Comment

Re: Mr. Excitement

Albeit Richard Rapport could only draw with his Alekhine Defence today in final R9 action at the RTU 2014, my respect for his maverick play has only increased. Immensely so!

After watching co-leader Hrant Melkumyan accept a ridiculous 10-move draw in less than 10 minutes (negative time on the clocks), Richard proceeded to sac a piece and launch an all-out attack with the Black pieces that only ended with his opponent's perpetual check after 46 moves (with the White King on d5! and about to be mated). Great fighting chess even when there was substantial prize money at stake. I can only hope that tournament directors have taken note and that Richard starts getting invited to the majority of elite tournaments. Right now, he'd be at the very top of my invite list (:
      Last edited by Jack Maguire; Sunday, 24th August, 2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X