Environment Award goes to BC government over protection of water resource - NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environment Award goes to BC government over protection of water resource - NOT!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1201051/b-...g-it-for-free/

Nestle's uses 230 million liters a year of groundwater. They currently get it for free. The evil one percent will now have to pay for their plundering of nature! Or maybe not.

According to the article they will have to pay the same as companies that extract surface water. Those charges will be between $0.01 and 1.10 per thousand cubic meters. 230 million liters divided by one thousand cubic meters is 230. Their water bill? A whopping $2.30 to $253.00 for those 230 million liters a year depending at where they set the final royalty rate. Much ado about nothing.

I wonder if the BC government will take payment in pennies.

Can the water users of Windsor get a similar rate? I didn't think so.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 12th March, 2014, 08:26 PM.

Re: Environment Award goes to BC government over protection of water resource - NOT!

I think you misplaced a decimal. Or is it me?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Environment Award goes to BC government over protection of water resource -

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      His math seems to be right. The rate they will pay will normaly be 85¢/million liters, so less than 200$/year if not taxable. Note that it is a fee based on the maximum amount of water they are allowed to pump, regardless of actual consumption and considering that they pump and treat the water themselve. No idea why they don't just ask for a fixed fee, as it would be much simpler.

Actual full processing cost to get a million litters of drinkable water, including distribution, is usually around 350$-750$/million liters. They may get it for much cheaper if they pump and treat their own water, which is what they do AFAIK. Still, managing this fee will cost more than the income, except for the individual citizens that will have to pay a fixed fee of 25$/year/house (what a surprise...)

So now, instead of costing them around 50,000$/year to pump and treat the water, they will spend about 0.4% more. Not sure it will be enough to encourage them to use less of the stuff...

Simon Valiquette

Comment

Vlad, I shot off an email to the green party candidate in Burlington:

Hi Rebecca,
        I am alarmed this morning to read a blog post about the new BC Water Sustainability Act. The post was this:

Nestle's uses 230 million liters a year of groundwater. They currently get it for free. The evil one percent will now have to pay for their plundering of nature! Or maybe not.

According to the article they will have to pay the same as companies that extract surface water. Those charges will be between $0.01 and 1.10 per thousand cubic meters. 230 million liters divided by one thousand cubic meters is 230. Their water bill? A whopping $2.30 to $253.00 for those 230 million liters a year depending at where they set the final royalty rate. Much ado about nothing.
        I wonder if the BC government will take payment in pennies.
        Can the water users of Windsor get a similar rate? I didn't think so.

I did so googling and found the website:
        http://engage.gov.bc.ca/watersustainabilityact/

I see a lot of platitudes about water as “our most precious resources” but no information about prices. In fact it appears that the pricing policy comes later as they are inviting comments up until April 8th.

Is the blog post accurate? Will a large water bottling company such as Nestle, be allowed to sell off natural resources for as low as $2.30 per year? Will the Green party be making submissions on pricing policy?

Thanks,
        Bob Gillanders
        Burlington, Ontario

Comment

Re: Environment Award goes to BC government over protection of water resource - NOT!

I wish I misplaced a decimal. I am not sure if this is due to a typo in the original article or whether whoever wrote the article is functionally illiterate when it comes to metric conversions. I have found that many people's eyes just glaze over when numbers are thrown at them. I like to look at the numbers to understand what I am reading. It really cuts down on the flim flammery that governments, industry and green advocates can get away with. I am sure that the bulk of the people reading the article came away with the impression that the government was protecting the water resource with this new requirement. They really are *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*.

Comment

Bob:

I hope you sent them the link to the original article. It is quite possible that the article got it wrong.
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 13th March, 2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

"230 million liters divided by one thousand cubic meters is 230"

Without a calculator, I got 230,000.

230,000,000 / 1,000

If you're right and I'm wrong then it's a good thing I retired from chess.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

"230 million liters divided by one thousand cubic meters is 230"

Without a calculator, I got 230,000.

230,000,000 / 1,000

If you're right and I'm wrong then it's a good thing I retired from chess.
                a liter (litre) is not equal one cubic meter.

1000 litres = 1 m^3

Comment

There are 1000 liters in a cubic meter. I think the implication of the article and the way the figures were presented was to give the impression that these new regulations would be more expensive for the company than they are. Its a way to hide the truth in plain sight and then laugh at the unwashed masses who are not in on the joke. Maybe I am just being cynical - or more likely not.
                  Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 13th March, 2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    Bob:

I hope you sent them the link to the original article. It is quite possible that the article got it wrong.
                    They got it right. I didn't based my calculations on the article, but on the sources of the article which is a document produced by the BC government itself. That is why I know that the planed price would be 85¢ for Nestlé and not something between 1.10$ and 0.01$. The minimal fee is 25$ for both businesses and individuals.

There are 1000 liters in a cubic meter. I think the implication of the article and the way the figures were presented was to give the impression that these new regulations would be more expensive for the company than they are. Its a way to hide the truth in plain sight and then laugh at the unwashed masses who are not in on the joke. Maybe I am just being cynical - or more likely not.
                    It is difficult to say without knowing what they really have in their mind.

One smart approach would be to pass the bill and get the companies to be used to pay a fee without much complains, and then later increase the fee significatively (possibly between 20x and 50x except for the agriculture). On the other hand, this part made me smile:

Simplicity: The approach and rationale for water pricing should be easy to understand and predictable. Individuals and businesses should also know how and when pricing could change so they can plan and budget their costs accordingly.

I don't think that Nestlé will spend lots of planing before paying their 200$ bill...

Costs to users should also reflect a fair return to the Crown for use of a public resource.

Unfortunately. It is probably only in 2-3 years that it will be known if you where right to be cynical, or if this is more than only words.

Simon Valiquette

Comment

Bob:
                      Nope, I sent exactly what I posted. Why not test them to see if they have done their own research? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Valiquette View Post
                        They got it right. I didn't based my calculations on the article, but on the sources of the article which is a document produced by the BC government itself. That is why I know that the planed price would be 85¢ for Nestlé and not something between 1.10$ and 0.01$. The minimal fee is 25$ for both businesses and individuals.
                        Well even at approximately $200 for their yearly bill Nestle is getting off pretty easy. Its not unusual for household water bills to be much higher over the course of a month while using much less water.

It is difficult to say without knowing what they really have in their mind.

One smart approach would be to pass the bill and get the companies to be used to pay a fee without much complains, and then later increase the fee significatively (possibly between 20x and 50x except for the agriculture). On the other hand, this part made me smile:

Simplicity: The approach and rationale for water pricing should be easy to understand and predictable. Individuals and businesses should also know how and when pricing could change so they can plan and budget their costs accordingly.

I don't think that Nestlé will spend lots of planing before paying their 200$ bill...

Costs to users should also reflect a fair return to the Crown for use of a public resource.

Unfortunately. It is probably only in 2-3 years that it will be known if you where right to be cynical, or if this is more than only words.

Simon Valiquette
                        Certainly you need to be cynical and critical about anything that is reported. If there are numbers which justify the assertions in the article you should examine those numbers. I believe that the original article probably reflected some confusion on the metric conversion between cubic meters and liters, otherwise it wouldn't have been considered at all newsworthy.

Comment

Its not unusual for household water bills to be much higher over the course of a month while using much less water.
                          You compare apples to apple sources.

Comment

What's the property tax rate for major industrial (which I assume they pay) compared to residential?

A few years ago I had shares in a company which was paying 26 times the residential rate for one of their plants. They took it to court and lost. I bought the shares at a dime or less and sold them around 50 cents. Not that long after I sold the shares they reorganized. Guess what the shareholders got.

When you're talking about BC companies you have to get all the facts.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                            X