Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keep laughing, guys...

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    No. The green plan is to save as many of them as possible.
    By encouraging energy production from renewable sources (such as solar, wind, etc), and with better energy efficiency and conservation, we increase the ability of the planet to sustain human life. Energy sources that destroy our environment does the opposite. I thought everyone understood this!
    I don't think it is quite as simple as that. One might argue that increasing energy efficiency (etc) only allows MORE people to be created thus greatly accelerating the demise of the species... :)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Why not? This theory is old. If you go back 60 years and look at the reported remaining reserves of oil, and then 50 years ago, and then 40 years ago, and then 30 years ago, and 20 years ago, and then 10 years ago and then today what do you think you will find? Oil reserves went up year after year after year. Peak oil is rarely mentioned anymore in serious company. This has resulted in the green movement trying to deny us use of the oil that has already been found.
      I can go back 45 years. When I started working with Nat Gas people worried the supply would run out and we'd be out of jobs. One of the older guys used to say not to worry. As soon as the price goes up they will find more.

You hear about the rare earth metals. REE. Most aren't really that rare. The problem is they are expensive to mine. Many are in low concentrations and the problem is finding a deposit with a high enough content to make money mining them.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        No. The green plan is to save as many of them as possible.
        By encouraging energy production from renewable sources (such as solar, wind, etc), and with better energy efficiency and conservation, we increase the ability of the planet to sustain human life. Energy sources that destroy our environment does the opposite. I thought everyone understood this!
        If you want better energy efficiency then solar and wind is definitely not the way to go. There is a reason that they need subsidies which price them at twenty or thirty times the cost of some of the alternatives. Green energy sources make the system as a whole less efficient and productive and boost costs astronomically. that is why governments are walking away from their commitments and why our energy prices are blowing through the roof despite only a small portion of our generation of electricity coming from hugely overpriced green energy sources.

Comment

The long term solution to population growth to to raise the overall standard of living. If you look at the Canada and the Western world, the birth rate is less than 2 children per women, with typical numbers around 1.7-1.8, depending on the country. So our populations would naturally decrease. The only reason why they are not are our immigration policies. If this trend spread thoughout the world, population growth would halt. 100 years from now that may be the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
            The long term solution to population growth to to raise the overall standard of living. If you look at the Canada and the Western world, the birth rate is less than 2 children per women, with typical numbers around 1.7-1.8, depending on the country. So our populations would naturally decrease. The only reason why they are not are our immigration policies. If this trend spread thoughout the world, population growth would halt. 100 years from now that may be the reality.
            People in the western world probably don't wish to self-sacrifice for the sake of raising more than two children as much as they used to. I suspect it's more due to the decline of [true belief in] our traditional religion (which advocates self-sacrifice, at least to some extent) than due to an increase in the standard of living (although selfish greed by many, even, may be at the root of our having such a standard). One can look at any number of wealthy eastern countries, and compare average family sizes to test this theory.

Fighting pollution in a sane manner, and fighting all kinds of corruption at all levels, while looking to colonize space asap, is a safe enough way to go without denying people the right to have as many children as they like. There may be epidemics and famines that will, sadly, take care of overpopulation in good time if we don't colonize other worlds first, assuming that there were ever any close enough that were meant to hold our form of life. That's if we don't blow each other up first.
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

oh yeah, about family size,...

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              People in the western world probably don't wish to self-sacrifice for the sake of raising more than two children as much as they used to. I suspect it's more due to the decline of [true belief in] our traditional religion (which advocates self-sacrifice, at least to some extent) than due to an increase in the standard of living (although selfish greed by many, even, may be at the root of our having such a standard). One can look at any number of wealthy eastern countries, and compare average family sizes to test this theory.
              There's plenty of data for those who actually care about the facts. Mind you, in a climate change denial thread, all bets are off.

Anyway, there is very good data on the following: the better educated women are, the smaller their families. It's really that simple. Hence all those religious fundamentalists with big families; they like keeping their "womenfolk" poorly educated, barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. Like Nazis with their Kinder, Küche, Kirche, those who hate women hate education. Virulently.

Carry on. The water's rising, smart guys. What I'd really like to see is a survival movement; all those opposed to doing anything about global warming should be pushed out FIRST of whatever survival arrangements are made. Maybe the story of Noah isn't Biblical fantasy but rather Science Fiction of what was to come.
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: oh yeah, about family size,...

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                there is very good data on the following: the better educated women are, the smaller their families. It's really that simple.
                Here's an interesting paper that popped up first when I did a Google search, regarding your claim in boldface:

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/seminarpapers/08-06-12-MH.pdf

the paper claims to have new evidence that between 2001 and 2009 the cross-sectional relationship between fertility and women’s education in the U.S. is U-shaped.

[edit: As for much of the rest of your post, I'm not quite sure if, upon reflection, you wouldn't agree it could be self-moderated better, using your own chesstalk guideline #9:

Debate

9. Give an opinion and back it up with a reason. Throwaway comments such as "Game X pwnz because my friend and I think so!" could be considered pointless at best, and inflammatory at worst.
                ]
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 24th March, 2014, 08:11 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Anyway, there is very good data on the following: the better educated women are, the smaller their families. It's really that simple. Hence all those religious fundamentalists with big families; they like keeping their "womenfolk" poorly educated, barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. Like Nazis with their Kinder, Küche, Kirche, those who hate women hate education. Virulently.
                  We never thought of it that way when we were having our kids.
                  Last edited by Gary Ruben; Tuesday, 25th March, 2014, 10:45 AM.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

lecturing moderators but not abusers ...

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                    Here's an interesting paper that popped up first when I did a Google search, regarding your claim in boldface:

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/seminarpapers/08-06-12-MH.pdf

the paper claims to have new evidence that between 2001 and 2009 the cross-sectional relationship between fertility and women’s education in the U.S. is U-shaped.

[edit: As for much of the rest of your post, I'm not quite sure if, upon reflection, you wouldn't agree it could be self-moderated better, using your own chesstalk guideline #9:

Debate

9. Give an opinion and back it up with a reason. Throwaway comments such as "Game X pwnz because my friend and I think so!" could be considered pointless at best, and inflammatory at worst.
                    ]
                    lol. Instead of lecturing me about evidence, maybe you could lecture Gary about calling the moderator a "moron". Or doesn't that suit your agenda?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      We never thought of it that way when we were having our kids, moron.
                      Duly noted. I will get back to you on this.

Comment

Re: lecturing moderators but not abusers ...

lol. Instead of lecturing me about evidence, maybe you could lecture Gary about calling the moderator a "moron". Or doesn't that suit your agenda?
                        lol. Isn't it every man for himself on this ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I can go back 45 years. When I started working with Nat Gas people worried the supply would run out and we'd be out of jobs. One of the older guys used to say not to worry. As soon as the price goes up they will find more.

You hear about the rare earth metals. REE. Most aren't really that rare. The problem is they are expensive to mine. Many are in low concentrations and the problem is finding a deposit with a high enough content to make money mining them.
                          In 1980 there was 48 years of natural gas left based on consumption rates at the time and recoverable reserves. Today there is a 92 year supply based on present technology and recovery methods. In 2050 there will probably be a 200 year supply.

Comment

Carry on. The water's rising, smart guys.
                            You seem upset. Your buddy Al Gore has more to worry about than me. He has ocean front property. Windsor is over 600 feet above sea level.

What I'd really like to see is a survival movement; all those opposed to doing anything about global warming should be pushed out FIRST of whatever survival arrangements are made.
                            You're just being silly now. If I live to be 105, four years older than my grandfather's brother was when he died there is zero likelihood that global warming will have any discernible effect on my survival. If the temperature trends stay the same as they have over the last 17 years and four months I could live to 1000 years and there would be no discernible effect on my survival.

Maybe the story of Noah isn't Biblical fantasy but rather Science Fiction of what was to come.
                            You missed the lesson of that story but it is interesting to see how offended you get when people question your religious beliefs. Perhaps, in the interests of your blood pressure these types of climate change discussions should be banned as they are on some other chess discussion boards.

Comment

I think at least some, if not most, of the well from Fracking has a fast decline rate. And it's not the same for each well. Probably it's hard to say the size of the reserves. I don't know if there are environmental problems with the fracking. On this one the environmentalists might have a point but I don't know for sure. One company I had shares in fracked a well and some fluids came out a well of some other company. I don't think that was planned.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A retraction of your characterization of people who choose to have larger than average families would be nice. How do you feel about people who decide to adopt several children?

Maternity leave has become nice for people who decide to have children. Back in the day, my wife was told not to come back when she left to have our first child.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X