CFC spam alert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC spam alert.

Two days ago I received an email "Urgent" from the The Chess Federation of Canada.

> Good day,
    >
    > Please click the link to view the document I uploaded for you using Google
    > cloud drive.
    >
    > http://onbrowsergames.ru/wp-admin/css/index.html
    >
    > Just Sign in with your email to view the document, it is very important.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > The Chess Federation of Canada
    > 17A-218 Silvercreek Pkwy N, Suite 356
    > Guelph, ON N1H 8E8
    > T: 519-265-1787
    > Email: info@chess.ca

It was sent by info2@chess.ca
    Contacted the CFC (reply). Got a reply the next day.

"Hi Scott, we didn't send it, don't follow the link."

Heads up I guess.

Re: CFC spam alert.

It is quite possible through some mail servers to send an email that appears to the untrained eye to be from someone it is not actually from. I got a notification from gmail that someone from Russia had tried to log in with the correct password to an account that I hadn't logged into in several years. Apparently they blocked it based on the fact that they knew I wasn't in Russia based on my other email account activity. Leaving aside the fact that that in and of itself is a little scary, it seems that these people are trying to hack into everything no matter how inconsequential. The CFC will never ask you to click on a link which appears to be on a server in Russia. The google cloud drive if we were to use one would be at an address that can clearly be traced back to google.

Be careful. There are bad people trying to access your computer at all times. Don't let them do it. Don't click on links from sources you don't know even if they claim to be someone you do know.

Comment

I get people calling from Windows, They want me to type in their url so they can fix my windows. I'm not even polite to them.

All kinds of scams out there.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The one that almost got me was the first one that appeared to be from Paypal warning me that someone had hacked my account, and then gave a link to a phony Paypal site to "log in" and confirm that my recent transactions were valid. I almost bought it until I saw the actual website name tied to the link. A clever psychological trick to use my fear of being hacked to hack me. These guys get smarter all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          ...... The CFC will never ask you to click on a link......
          apart from the email in which they distribute access to the online magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            apart from the email in which they distribute access to the online magazine.
            My whole quote was "The CFC will never ask you to click on a link which appears to be on a server in Russia." Being more grammatically correct I suppose I should have said "which leads to a server in Russia." I'm pretty sure that all of our servers are located in Canada and the U.S.
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 15th March, 2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I get people calling from Windows, They want me to type in their url so they can fix my windows. I'm not even polite to them.

All kinds of scams out there.
              I received one of those calls a few years ago before they were very popular and I had some fun with the guy. When he said my computer was infected with a virus and it was sending out emails. I said, "Thanks!" and hung up on him. He called back. I listened to more of his spiel and said, "Okay. I'll fix it." and hung up on him. On his third call I answered the phone in Croatian and asked him what he wanted in Croatian and told him in Croatian that I didn't speak English.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                My whole quote was "The CFC will never ask you to click on a link which appears to be on a server in Russia." Being more grammatically correct I suppose I should have said "which leads to a server in Russia." I'm pretty sure that all of our servers are located in Canada and the U.S.
                Well, I just don't find the advice "don't click on a link which appears to be on a server in Russia" to be particularly helpful. I also think it is naive to think that this is a sufficient check to avoid falling for one of these scams.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  Well, I just don't find the advice "don't click on a link which appears to be on a server in Russia" to be particularly helpful. I also think it is naive to think that this is a sufficient check to avoid falling for one of these scams.
                  It may be getting to the point where you have to check mail paths on all the messages that you look at though that doesn't protect you from accounts that have been hacked.

Comment

Some of those who call have general information which would apply to almost everyone. Then they quickly get on to the particulars of what they want.

I normally tell them they have called me so they should have the information. I think when a person get older the phishing calls increase.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                    X