X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check Mate (NOT CHESS RELATED)

Originally posted by Nata View Post
    How do you make dog take medicine?
    I hide the medicine when it's a pill. Usually in a piece of cheese but sometimes in a piece of a hot dog wiener.

With a bigger pill, I open the dogs mouth and put the pill as far back on the tongue as I can get it. Then I close the dogs mouth and massage the throat until the dog swallows the pill.

With liquids the idea is to use a syringe and put it in between the rear teeth and squirt it in.

With the pills for the epilepsy the dog used to like the cheese. After the first few times it was easy. The pills worked well to stop the Grand Mal seizures.

A dog is expensive to have. The bags of dog food alone cost around $1,000. a year or more.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You must love your dogs if you doing that for them :) ;)
      Nata Navodylo

Comment

We only have the one dog and have never had more than 2 at the time. This is a case of the dogs over the last more than 50 years.

They tend to become part of the family.

In this area, most people keep a dog. I once had a man kick in my fence and pass out over the hood of my car. He was still there when the police came and took him away. :D
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Now, you scared me
          Nata Navodylo

Comment

If you don't love your dog, you shouldn't have it!

Teeth. We have enjoyed three big dogs over the last forty years. They all lived to a ripe old age in dog years. We never ever cleaned their teeth. We always fed them dry dog food, and water.....very limited off-the-table people food or cans. This scaled their teeth and kept them healthy... perhaps we were lucky with the breed, but collie was in there. You give them medication like you give people their meds!

Why on earth I am reporting this on a chess site God only knows, but a couple of posters seem to need this site......
            Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
              Teeth. We have enjoyed three big dogs over the last forty years. They all lived to a ripe old age in dog years. We never ever cleaned their teeth. We always fed them dry dog food, and water.....very limited off-the-table people food or cans. This scaled their teeth and kept them healthy... perhaps we were lucky with the breed, but collie was in there. You give them medication like you give people their meds!

Why on earth I am reporting this on a chess site God only knows, but a couple of posters seem to need this site......
              The Rough Collies we've had have been the worst for teeth. I'm talking pure breed Lassie dogs. Those two needed dental work and the Bichon Frise we had at the same time also needed extractions.

On the other hand, none of the mixed breed dogs nor the American Cocker Spaniel had dental work and the Spaniel lived almost 14 years. The Collies 13.

One thing about these topics, they have to be better than CFC and FIDE politics. ;)
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                The Rough Collies we've had have been the worst for teeth. I'm talking pure breed Lassie dogs. Those two needed dental work and the Bichon Frise we had at the same time also needed extractions.

On the other hand, none of the mixed breed dogs nor the American Cocker Spaniel had dental work and the Spaniel lived almost 14 years. The Collies 13.

One thing about these topics, they have to be better than CFC and FIDE politics. ;)
                Our dogs were all mixed breed from the shelter....worked very well for us. I guess someone thinks that if you can afford the pure-breds, you can afford the dental bills? Yes at least this is more entertaining than the politics.
                Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                  Our dogs were all mixed breed from the shelter....worked very well for us. I guess someone thinks that if you can afford the pure-breds, you can afford the dental bills? Yes at least this is more entertaining than the politics.
                  After you get the dog, the bills are the same for both a mixed breed or a pure bred. Food, vet, toys, etc. The only difference I can recall is the initial price. I always thought for a few hundred dollars extra I could get whatever kind of dog I want.

One dog we bought from an animal shelter, they said was 2 years old. The Vet guessed about 5 years based on the wear on the teeth. We had the dog about 9 years. For a small dog like that the 5 year guess was probably reasonable. When the kids were young I only got small dogs.

I'd have preferred another Bichon Frise but lost that discussion. The one we had only got to about 15 pounds, didn't shed hair, and had a real nice disposition. The only real draw back was the dog had to go to the groomers to get its coat cut down every three months. The hair really seemed to grow fast.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

What I heard that pure-breeds are more likely to get similar diseases like humans.
                    Nata Navodylo

Comment

I don't know. It could be correct.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Sept. 29, 2014.

Checkmate has now passed 9 months. She's gained most of her size but will likely get a bit taller in the next 3 months but that's a guess.

Click To Enlarge.

Checkmate is still with us. She's a terror but I suppose like a lot of chess players it could be a case of having too much time on her paws. She reminds me of the movie Marley and Me. A great comedy movie.

Checkmate gets car sick. As a result we changed Vets and now go to one who is quite close. She's OK with that.

We decided to take her for dog training. Maybe get her so she'll listen better. We got the name of a good trainer in Oshawa and decided to take a chance she had got over car sickness. So we loaded her in the back of the vehicle and went for the appointment. We got to the address and I was parking the car. Everything she still had in her from the day before - up it came. We took her in for the appointment and she looked plain sick not interested in much. The trainer thought we should wait until the dog gets to the point where she can do longer drives.

To add insult to injury, just before we got into the driveway on the way home the rest came up.

When she gets hold of a ball of wool or some knitting in progress she grabs it and runs. What a mess.

On the bright side, she's not leaving as many bruises with her teeth.
                        Last edited by Gary Ruben; Monday, 29th September, 2014, 11:27 PM.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Checkmate (NOT CHESS RELATED)

Checkmate has now passed 10 months. I guess it's time to make a final post on the subject. But first, some baby pictures.

Click To Enlarge

Checkmate has settled down quite a bit as she gets older. The frustrating part of raising a pup seems to have ended except for the times when her teeth catches one of us by accident.

She has good weight and we gave some thought to getting the dog in shape for a dog show. She's a bit over 22 inches at the shoulders which is within the height guidelines for the breed. Problem is Checkmate gets car sick so that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Saves lots of work like with the ears and that sort of thing. Showing the dog in the ring isn't a problem because we'd pay someone to do that part. Kind of like hiring a jockey to run your horse in a race. The dog still has her puppy coat and not the full adult coat.

This dog is different than others we have had. Most of the others would get angry and bark if they got upset. This one simply watches then gets even at the earliest opportunity. I hate when that happens. :(
                          Last edited by Gary Ruben; Wednesday, 5th November, 2014, 06:10 PM.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                          X