Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ontario Open ?

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    The 2013 OCA treasurer's report is here: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...surer-s-Report

No, your eyes do not deceive you.
    John Coleman, in the post I've copied above, seems to be saying that to the best of his knowledge the OCA's Treasurer never prepared any financial statements for the OCA's fiscal year ending in 2013 (at least, not any financials that were made available to the members).

My question for you, Bob, is why does an organization like the OCA have to prepare financial statements in the conventional format? The OCA has no fixed assets; they may, every once in a long while, have a small receivable or payable at fiscal year-end; they may have an outstanding cheque or two at year-end; they may have some form of savings deposit/account in addition to a chequing accout. And that's about it, isn't it? In addition, the OCA has - what? - maybe 4 to 6 deposits per year and writes maybe 10 or 15 cheques at most? Why the hell can't these people simply post their bank account statements online, with a quick description of the cheque payees and where the deposits came from, together with the OCA's opening and closing O/S cheques and receivables/payables, if any? Surely that tells everyone just about everything they need to know about the OCA's financial position. That's pretty easy, isn't it? The only exceptions would be those rare years where something especially significant happens (e.g. the Trillium grant from a few years ago), and in those cases additional information could be provided to the members as appropriate to meet transparency expectations.

Why is it that some people seem to think that it's better to have a do-nothing butt sitting in a chair than it is to just leave the chair vacant? When there's a butt in the chair it raises people's expectations that something will actually be accomplished.

GRRRRRR!!!!

See you in the Falls!
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Aris, how can you forget your motion? LOL

Motion moved by Aris Marghetis. Seconded by Christopher Mallon.
      "Commencing in 2013 the Ontario Open will rotate in the following order: EOCA, GTCL, SWOCL and NOCL. By October 1st of the previous year, the League that is due to hold the Ontario Open must present to the OCA Executive a concrete plan or bid for the event. If the deadline is not met, or if the League elects to pass on their turn, an open bid process will be initiated. All Leagues will be invited to submit their bids for the event, with a deadline of December 1st. The OCA Executive will evaluate any submitted bids and award the event no later than January 1st. The awarding of an Ontario Open via the open bid system does not in any way affect the regular rotation of the event."

Discussion thread: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...xt-fiscal-year

Voting thread: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...f-Ontario-Open
      This is the problem with passing too many rules. No one can keep track of the rules not even the people who are the nominal proposers of the rule and then everyone assumes that someone else is taking care of things because after all there is a rule that addresses this situation....

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        When there's a butt in the chair it raises people's expectations that something will actually be accomplished.

GRRRRRR!!!!

See you in the Falls!
        Peter, haven't we (not done enough) to lower your expectations yet....what will it take?
        You need some quiet time near the Falls to mellow out.
        Enjoy the roast beef sandwiches, have a few brews, and by sunday evening.....
        you could be the new OCA treasurer! :)

All kidding aside Peter, you make some good points.
        Good luck and see you in Niagara Falls. :) I'll buy you a beer.
        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 11th April, 2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Peter, haven't we (not done enough) to lower your expectations yet....what will it take?
          You need some quiet time near the Falls to mellow out.
          Enjoy the roast beef sandwiches, have a few brews, and by sunday evening.....
          you could be the new OCA treasurer! :)

All kidding aside Peter, you make some good points.
          Good luck and see you in Niagara Falls. :) I'll buy you a beer.
          Bob, I'm heading to Morrisburg. How about we chat on Monday by phone, my dime (I have an LD plan LOL) ?

Until then, enjoy your (chess?!) weekends! :)

Comment

... see you in Niagara Falls. ...
            Not sure I understand. Other than advocating no financial reporting at all, isn't a quick and dirty cash-basis income statement just about as low as a person can go?

Unfortunately, I've had a problem come up and will not be in the Falls this weekend. Maybe I can take a rain cheque on that beer.
            :)
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Can't say I'm president anymore, that honour fell to Chris Mallon. The OCA exists for a couple reasons. Firstly, having an incorporated entity assists in things such as Trillium grants, awards, and other types of funding. It also allows things like Ontario Championships and other Ontario-wide events. The biggest reason that it exists though is that the CFC is an aggregate of provincial affiliates. The CFC associates with the OCA which then governs chess in Ontario. I once had it explained by the CFC president at the time, that if an organization split off of the OCA, the CFC would not recognize these members as being part of a provincial affiliate which would leave them in limbo in terms of becoming members. It would get complicated and the governorship would vote not to recognize the new body as allowing new affiliates at this point would open Pandora's box in terms of who can become a provincial affiliate.

Truthfully, the organization serves a purpose but governor and member interest weans and the most involved anyone ever gets occurs when there is an error. It is difficult to run an organization when volunteers are either unreliable or are so strongly allied with one regional organization that they are useless at the provincial level (there are a few exceptions to this of course, for whom I was grateful to have).

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                Bob, I'm heading to Morrisburg. How about we chat on Monday by phone, my dime (I have an LD plan LOL) ?

Until then, enjoy your (chess?!) weekends! :)
                Aris and I spoke today on the phone. This has led to me starting an email thread with the OCA and GTCL executives. We'll see where that takes us. ??

Comment

Drumroll........

Ontario Open
                  May 17-19, 2014
                  Macedonian Hall
                  Organizer: Bryan Lamb

Tournament details to follow. Thank you Bryan.

CMA: If somebody from the GTCL executive could confirm this please.:)

<CMA (that's cover my ass, not Chess N'Math)> :)

Comment

If somebody from the GTCL executive could confirm this please.:)
                    Yep. (10 characters)

Comment

Please make the two upper section fide rated. Toronto open are fide rated for the two upper section so no reason why Ontario open would not be the same......

Comment

Keep in mind these rules for FIDE-rated tournaments:

The tournaments to be rated shall be pre-registered by the federation that will be responsible for the submission of results and rating fees. The tournament and its playing schedule must be registered one week before the tournament starts. The QC Chairman may refuse to register a tournament. He may also allow a tournament to be rated even though it has been registered less than one week before the tournament starts. Tournaments where norms will be available must be registered 30 days in advance.

All arbiters of a FIDE rated tournament shall be licensed otherwise the tournament shall not be rated.

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...article&id=161

Comment

I have not seen any advertising for the Ontario Open yet, with only 19 days to go.
                          It was on the agenda for the GTCL meeting last saturday. Could somebody from the GTCL please give us an update?
                          Thanks.

Comment

I have not seen any advertising for the Ontario Open yet, with only 19 days to go.
                            It was on the agenda for the GTCL meeting last saturday. Could somebody from the GTCL please give us an update?
                            Thanks.
                            At the AGM on Saturday, we discussed the 2014 Ontario Open. At the meeting, it was announced that Bryan Lamb has secured the Macedonian Hall, 76 Overlea, for the traditional Victoria Day weekend.

Once the flyer is ready, we will circulate copies quickly to Ontario clubs and get a registration list posted.

Alex Ferreira, who is the new GTCL tournament coordinator, will be in contact with Bryan and should have the tournament details shortly.
                            Marcus Wilker
                            Annex Chess Club
                            Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                            X