Candidates and next WC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidates and next WC

I am enjoying watching the games of the current Candidates tournament and I must admit
    I admire Anand's performance and steady play thus far.

It seems many people are almost expecting a rematch between Anand and Carlsen? I have
    quite mixed feelings about that - on the one hand I would like to see a rematch to let Anand
    (perhaps) prove that he is not the pushover that many believe.

In many respects, a rematch might totally kill the buzz that has been generated by Carlsen.
    A match between Carlsen and Aronian (or Kramnik perhaps) might result in more varied chess
    and more 'fighting' games? The format of the WC might make that dream impossible since a
    single loss is very devastating in the current short format.

Mixed feelings but still nice to see Anand say 'hang on a minute, the old dog isn't dead yet'.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Candidates and next WC

It is obviously premature to talk about Anand winning the Candidates' but stranger things have happened. If a rematch does occur, it could be quite a dramatic affair. It all depends on Anand's form. For whatever reason, he was in lousy form in the WCC---not to take anything away from Carlsen who played near flawless chess. On the other hand, Anand's form in this Candidates' has been magnificent, more like the Anand of old. The Anand who demolished Aronian, Topalov and Mamedyarov would give Carlsen a real run for his money.

Comment

The prevailing view here is that a rematch, however well deserved, would be a disappointment and maybe not so easy to organize (ie finance).

The match itself could be quite dramatic indeed - Carlsen would be the hunted and Vishy would have nothing to lose. The pundits here still don't think this role reversal would be enough to change the outcome. On the other hand, none of them expected the old tiger to roar like this!

Comment

WC should be every two years in my opinion.

Comment

Anand is a two time champion. He won the FIDE championship for 2000 to 2002 and then he won the undisputed championship in 2008. I'm really curious to see if he can be a 3 time champion.

I can understand the organizers might not like such a match. But in reality all they do is make the match and find the prize money. I think anyone who can qualify to play for the championship is deserving.

The age old battle of youth and exuberance vs age and experience. Also, Vishy is only in his 40's so still in his prime (in my opinion).
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The WCC is a 2 year cycle. Apparently there was some catching up to do so we have another match in 2014. The next one will be 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Anand is a two time champion. He won the FIDE championship for 2000 to 2002 and then he won the undisputed championship in 2008. I'm really curious to see if he can be a 3 time champion.
              And he is a 5 times champion LOL
              He won these World Championship matches:
              2000 - FIDE (final against A.Shirov)
              2007 - FIDE tournament with Kramnik etc
              2008 - Kramnik
              2010 - Topalov
              2012 - Gelfand

Comment

The last 3 were title defenses. He remained the champion while the matches were being played as far as I know.

In this case he has to earn a match to try to regain the championship.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I can understand the organizers might not like such a match. But in reality all they do is make the match and find the prize money. I think anyone who can qualify to play for the championship is deserving.

Gary - If you haven't attended a WCC match you may think it is a trivial matter. It is actually quite a production. The prize money must be net of taxes. There is an opening and closing ceremony, a press centre, an office for the FIDE Secretariat, a VIP lounge, accommodation (on a full board basis) for both players and their entourages for the duration of the match plus a few days at either end. Likewise for the "Principals" (Arbiters, Appeals Committee and assorted FIDE personnel. Plus whatever you might want to do to make it special.

Deserving yes. I love the human interest story that could surround the rematch. That doesn't automatically make it interesting for the financiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                    Deserving yes. I love the human interest story that could surround the rematch. That doesn't automatically make it interesting for the financiers.
                    If contenders will be more or less equal (Carlsen vs current strong Anand) - India may jump in to get back the title :) Otherwise Russia oil/gas might again pay the bill.

Comment

What would be nice to see, would be a three way split of expenses. Thus the home country of each of the two players would put up 1/3 of the cost and the hosting country/federation the other 1/3. AND FIDE to keep their sticky fingers out of the pot!
                      So if Anand were to be the challenger, then India puts in say 2 million Euros, Norway, 2 million and the hosts, say Spain 2 million. This would ensure that the event was first rate!
                      Would six million even be enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                        Would six million even be enough?
                        I think 6 million would not even cover IllusionOf's hotel bill.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                          Gary - If you haven't attended a WCC match you may think it is a trivial matter. It is actually quite a production.
                          I don't think it's a trivial matter. Whoever wins the right to challenge will have done so under the rules set for the current cycle. I understand a lot of work goes into organizing the match and making it interesting.

Possibly the short number of games in the championship needs to be revisited. The challengers has 14 games and I wonder if the championship should be at least as many with a set number of wins required. I found the championship matches in past decades to be more interesting than the current ones.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Surely you jest Kerry. Kirsan would cover his own costs under the right circumstances. Six million would be more than enough to cover the match. Probably take the prize fund and multiply by 1.6-2.0 and you're there. Dividing the cost 3 ways sound rather idealistic and of course it is a non starter. It would bankrupt the 2 lucky Federations whose players fought for the title.

Comment

Not idealistic at all, Hal, a corporate sponsor would probably jump at the chance to be affiliated with a future World Champion.
                              What is idealistic, however, is dreaming that FIDE would keep their finger out of the funds!

Comment

Working...
                              X