Topalov Wins. Next Stop Anand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topalov Wins. Next Stop Anand.

I see that the favourite, Topalov, has beaten Kamsky by a decisive margin. Now if FIDE can get its act together we should have real fireworks when the Bulgarian goes after World Champion Anand.
    What is the forecast result?

Re: Topalov Wins. Next Stop Anand.

Topalov did not win. Rather, Kamsky beat himself. Zeitnot was a decisive factor in two of the games, and a Kamsky's blunder in game 6 from a slightly worse position was inexcusable. Topalov never played particularly well, and never genuinely outplayed Kamsky once. To have a chance against Anand, Topalov will have to play much better. However, there's little reason to believe that he won't. Love him or hate him, there's no denying that Topalov is one of the most dynamic players in the world. Topalov - Anand 2009 has the makings of a classic, in my opinion. I'll say that Topalov takes it by a one game margin.

Comment

I don't think Kamsky was a particularly dangerous opponent for Topa, but Anand will most definitely be hard to beat. Topalov loves to take chances and mix it up - a strategy that might not work well against Anand. I think Anand will prevail - provided he gets back into form (he is not playing too well at this moment, but perhaps he cannot reveal all his preparation or preferences)
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Game 7 had everyone scurrying around wondering what was going on. For a while it looked like Kamsky would even the score , especially after finding a3, and have White for the 8th game. I sat for a while with the guys from ther US Embassy (both club players) and this prospect really captured their imagination. Long faces on the locals completed the picture. Then Kamsky really tanked after Qd6, where Kf7 or Bc8 (according to Sutovsky and his computer) were considered the main replies. I felt for Gata, because both moves were unappealing to look at. When he played the much safer Ba4 the word draw entered the conversation, and things went downhill from there. In the final press conference Topalov was quite gracious, as he had been throughout, stating that this match was never easy. All the games were quite tough. Gata was quite satisfied with the organization, and a little disappointed with himself.

Closing ceremonies happen today at 2pm local time. Back home on Sunday.

The next stop at the top will likely not happen until early 2010. Finding organizers for this match in this financial climate is not expected to be easy. I think it will be a highly anticipated match though - too close to call.

Comment

Anand will win because he's racially superior. This isn't a racist comment or anything, but I mean, c'mon, Indian vs. Ukranian? No contest. All Ukranians do is eat cold soup. Indian food is the best food ever. Frequently, I starve myself all day and then go to an Indian buffet for dinner and eat like five plates. Good times.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Ukrainian? Topalov was playing in his country's capital city ...

Comment

I didn't know that quiche was Indian food, or that gespacho was Ukranian for that matter.

Comment

Topalov is Bulgarian. Ukrainians also eat perogies and cabbage rolls in addition to cold soup.

Comment

What on earth do players 500 or 1000 points rating below the World Champion based their opinions on? Do they look at the ratings and see player A is 50 points above player B
                  and therefore, of course, player A will win! There cannot be more than a dozen players in Canada qualified to venture an opinion

Comment

Vlad - Fritz, Rybka, Shredder, even Chessmaster can give any patzer a basis for opinion. Sutovsky, despite being 2600+, was staying close to the computer when venturing an assessment.

Good or bad? In some ways chess is made more inclusive with these elite engines. On the other hand we we can lose respect for the top players. NO match is without its errors, and now the proof is almost instant. Like Jeopardy.

Comment

Topalov could win the match if the following conditions are met:

1) EMR jamming equipment fails.
                      This would be particularly effective if it failed when Topalov was doing one of his typical precarious King in the middle-of-the board games, and then lasted until the end of the game. If the organizers are really concerned, maybe they could hire Sutovsky and he could just sit by a computer and broadcast bad moves over a broad spectrum. Trouble is Sutovsky plays some insane variations and doesnt seem to keen on bad moves.

or

2) Danilov employs Crest White Strips.
                      This would allow a better visual contrast against his fingers. Topalov will be able to better see signals sent across the room. Also, Danilov could stop hanging out with just Topalov and Cheparinov and maybe look for a misses Danilov.

Failing these two criterion, I'm going with Anand. He is a deserving champion.

Mavros

Comment

I've received at least one complaint about your mock racism, Ben. Some discussion boards ban such mock racism for obvious reasons; as far as I know this board has no such ban ... yet.
                        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Ban Ben!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                            Ban Ben!!!!
                            Probably those type of comments should be banned.

To be clear, I don't like to see that sort of comment but a private email from the moderator should be sufficient.

I like Ben.

Ben smiles, I smile.

Ben laughs, I laugh.

Ben jokes, I joke.

Ben gets banned, I'm going to miss him. :)
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

OK, if Ben isn't going to get banned for mock racism then it hardly seems fair to ban Ken for his remarks. Perhaps, Gary, you were just yanking my chain? :D

It's enough, I think, to let Ben know that there are some complaints. This discussion board isn't busy enough to ban anyone, unless there's something really egregious, the person is warned, etc., etc.. The old Chess Talk had a few like that. Very few.

Just for the record - I'm not banning anyone, even if I might be able, technically, to do it. That's something for Larry, or Chris, I think. If someone crossed the line I might make a recommendation - that's about it.
                              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                              X