Error message posting to ChessTalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error message posting to ChessTalk

I am not sure why, but I keep getting an error: "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Re: Error message posting to ChessTalk

OK, that message went through, but every time I try to post about the OYCC, it comes up with that error mentioned above???
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

Comment

I will try again ... Let's see if it will work this time ...
      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      Patrick McDonald

Comment

I guess that certain phrases are being blocked ...*

I will try here: visit the site of the OYCC: www.oycc.ca for details about the upcoming tournament.
        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
        Patrick McDonald

Comment

Oycc 2014

The OYCC is being held on April 18/19/20 this year.
          Visit the site: www.oycc.ca for all the details
          We now have a preliminary pre-registered list up.
          ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
          Patrick McDonald

Comment

Speaking of error messages, in trying to change a chesstalk blog entry last night I kept getting a message saying my entry was too long, and to shorten it to 1 character(!). I suppose the blog entry/change capability may have been (temporarily?) suspended because of all the spam blogs being entered.

A little more disturbingly, as I noted in another thread, whenever I use a 'plus sign' in posts I wish to make, such symbols get replaced in my post previews or actual posts with a blank space. I've noticed that at least one other poster recently used a plus sign and thus apparently doesn't have this problem. Perhaps chesstalk has been hacked by someone with an impish sense of humour!?
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

It seems that every time I post with Ontario and Youth and Chess and Championships together, my post gets deleted and I get the message that my message is too short ... odd ...
              ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
              Patrick McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
                It seems that every time I post with Ontario and Youth and Chess and Championships together, my post gets deleted and I get the message that my message is too short ... odd ...
                Hi Patrick,

Our site has been bombarded by spam for the last couple of months...to the point that the site has gone down a few times. We are paying an additional monthly fee for them to block stuff...obviously this is not perfect...not sure about the why...but glad you were able to work around it :)

Larry

Comment

Re : Error message posting to ChessTalk

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
                  I am not sure why, but I keep getting an error: "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."
                  I had a similar issue few weeks ago, and I tracked it down to an Unicode/ASCII encoding issue.

That is clearly a bug, and the message is misleading because it has nothing to do with the real issue. I think it happens when you mix unicode characters with ascii characters, which is more likely to happens with cut&paste (notably for spaces).

I think I reported it and got no answer back, but I can't say for sure so perhaps I just moved on.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    Hi Patrick,

Our site has been bombarded by spam for the last couple of months...to the point that the site has gone down a few times. We are paying an additional monthly fee for them to block stuff...obviously this is not perfect...not sure about the why...but glad you were able to work around it :)

Larry
                    This is what my e-mail inbox looks like for the last few hours:

Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 3:03 pm) 6:03 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:10 pm) 4:11 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:10 pm) 4:11 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:09 pm) 4:10 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:09 pm) 4:10 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:09 pm) 4:09 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:09 pm) 4:09 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:08 pm) 4:09 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:08 pm) 4:09 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:05 pm) 4:05 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:05 pm) 4:05 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:04 pm) 4:05 PM
                    Unread Unread Patrick McDonald - ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs Contact Us Form - Cannot post 4:01 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:00 pm) 4:00 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 1:00 pm) 4:00 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 12:55 pm) 3:55 PM
                    Unread Unread SecureLive Security Advisory Incident report from SecureLive - chesstalk.info (March 29, 2014, 12:55 pm) 3:55 PM

Comment

Larry, that story is boring. The plot is mind numbing and character development is pathetic. Haha
                      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 29th March, 2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        Larry, that story is boring. The plot is mind numbing and character development is pathetic. Haha
                        No arguement from me :) What I find incredible is that instead of solving the problem once and for all...they prefer to block attacks and charge us...I have other fires to put out right now, but I will fix this once and for all...hopefully in the near future...meanwhile...the metre keeps ticking ...anyone who knows me understands that I am not happy right now...

Comment

I have mentioned that in the game scores I post that the plus sign goes missing too.
                          I really don’t want to use “ch” for “check”. Can someone look at this, please?

Comment

Most likely (plus sign) was removed from eligible symbols (characters) to prevent scripts or something on that scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                              I have mentioned that in the game scores I post that the plus sign goes missing too.
                              I really don't want to use "ch" for "check". Can someone look at this, please?
                              It seems to have started to get filtered few months ago, with a number of other characters (at some point I think I had issues with characters like '<' or '>', but not anymore). There is also things like '\#' (with the cote but without the backslash) that will silently truncate your message till the end.

A workaround is to type instead: & #43; (without the space between the '&' and the #) so you can get 3.Fxf7+. Notice that the '+' you will see after clicking 'preview' will again be filtered, so you have to do the substitution only once you are happy with your final preview.

3.Fxf7+.

If it stop working, I'll find another way around because I am stuborn with computers. It is not perfect, but it is better than nothing.

Simon
                              Last edited by Simon Valiquette; Sunday, 30th March, 2014, 04:38 PM. Reason: Workaround other characters that silently cut my message

Comment

Working...
                              X