Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OYCC April 18/19/20

Come visit the website for the tournament: www.oycc.ca

A preliminary Pre-Registered list is up ...

See you there!
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Re: OYCC April 18/19/20

We are already into our last week of registrations!
    All players must be pre-registered - no onsite registrations.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

Comment

Patrick, what is the deadline to pre register?

Comment

Players should be registered by April 16th (That is Wednesday)
        Register at:**http://www.oycc.ca/registration/registration2014.aspx

Full details of the event are at: www.oycc.ca
        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
        Patrick McDonald

Comment

The OYCC is well under way! what a great first day! everything going quite smoothly.
          Round 3 pairings and Standings after 2 are all up on the OYCC site: www.oycc.ca*

wish you were here ...
          ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
          Patrick McDonald

Comment

The webpage http://www.oycc.ca/pairings/pairings.htm has no data... maybe I'm jumping the gun.

Comment

Open Section and Junior Girls

The page did get data.

I have a question: In the U 18 Open, it was won by a Junior Girl, Rebecca Giblon. Congratulations Rebecca (from an older past opponent). In the CYCC, the rule is that if an Open section is won by a junior girl, then she must also play in the Open section at the WYCC to be an "official representative". There is a bursary for the Ont. Champion to help defray expenses to the 2014 CYCC. Does the same rule apply at the OYCC level? Must Rebecca play in the WYCC U 18 Open, to receive the OYCC bursary?

Bob A

Comment

Re: Open Section and Junior Girls

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                The page did get data.

I have a question: In the U 18 Open, it was won by a Junior Girl, Rebecca Giblon. Congratulations Rebecca (from an older past opponent). In the CYCC, the rule is that if an Open section is won by a junior girl, then she must also play in the Open section at the WYCC to be an "official representative". There is a bursary for the Ont. Champion to help defray expenses to the 2014 CYCC. Does the same rule apply at the OYCC level? Must Rebecca play in the WYCC U 18 Open, to receive the OYCC bursary?

Bob A
                I heard from announcement, bursary only given to the same section in CYCC as played in OYCC, Rebecca belonged to U18G section in OYCC actually.
                U16G was won by a U14 girl, according this rule, she must play in U16G in CYCC to get bursary, however as many know that CYCC rule doesn't allow younger age play up, so she couldn't get the bursary? and the bursary will give to 2nd and 3rd place? or the CYCC will allow younger kids play up if they can win provincial YCC?
                just wondering if there is clear rule regarding CYCC how a younger age can play up, such as win provincial YCC, or highest rating in the older age section?

Comment

The page did get data.

Bob A
                  Rebecca registered for the under 18 girls section. She was the only player to register. They combined sections. She won the combined section. I don't believe that Patrick's intention is to force Rebecca to play in under 18 open at CYCC which is what I believe is your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    Rebecca registered for the under 18 girls section. She was the only player to register. They combined sections. She won the combined section. I don't believe that Patrick's intention is to force Rebecca to play in under 18 open at CYCC which is what I believe is your question.
                    Hi Vlad:

Thanks. I agree - if she was really registered in the U 18 Girls, but had to play in a combined section, then she clearly should get the bursary to play in the CYCC U 18 Girls.

Likewise then, Tony Bao would be the winner of the U 18 Open, and he'd get the bursary for that section at the CYCC.

Bob A

Comment

The tournament seemed to be well enjoyed by many. Patrick McDonald had help from many - Ed Thompson, Brian Clarke, Tom McClelland, Mahmud Hassain, Eva Michno, Kai Gauer come to mind and there were many others. Liza Orlova was a hit on Saturday. Brian Clarke on all the top boards (I think all 24) on Easter Sunday morning took off all the knights and substituted chocolate Easter bunnies. The girl participants loved them, the boys not so much. Nice spontaneous idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                        The tournament seemed to be well enjoyed by many. Patrick McDonald had help from many - Ed Thompson, Brian Clarke, Tom McClelland, Mahmud Hassain, Eva Michno, Kai Gauer come to mind and there were many others. Liza Orlova was a hit on Saturday. Brian Clarke on all the top boards (I think all 24) on Easter Sunday morning took off all the knights and substituted chocolate Easter bunnies. The girl participants loved them, the boys not so much. Nice spontaneous idea!
                        Great job, as they do every year, by so many folks who make the OYCC one of the best run and most enjoyable tournaments:
                        - Patrick as overall organizer, and Eva assisting.
                        - Brian as arbiter for the older sections and girls sections was always reasonable while remaining fully in control.
                        - Hans, Liza (and now Mahmud this year too) for donating their valuable time in 3 separate simul games.
                        - Andrew Peredun (not mentioned above) who generously analyzed games and gave a mini lecture.

Comment

Hi Vlad:

Thanks. I agree - if she was really registered in the U 18 Girls, but had to play in a combined section, then she clearly should get the bursary to play in the CYCC U 18 Girls.

Likewise then, Tony Bao would be the winner of the U 18 Open, and he'd get the bursary for that section at the CYCC.

Bob A
                          Bob, thanks for your good wishes to Rebecca. I can confirm that Vlad is 100% correct. I registered Rebecca in Girls U18. As the only entry in that section, it was decided that it made the most sense to combine her in the Open U18 section. In past years, Patrick has announced that the section in which each player entered is where they can apply their bursary for the CYCC. Therefore, Rebecca's bursary is towards CYCC Girls U18. Likewise, Tony Bao was announced as the winner of Open U18 and his bursary is towards CYCC Open U18. That principle has also applied in the past to players who chose to play up a section or two, although I don't know if the CYCC allows players to play up (both the NAYCC and WYCC allow this).

I also want to point out that there were 3 other girls and 1 other boy who scored a perfect 5 / 5 this year:
                          • Kylie Tan, Girls U10
                          • Lily Zhou, Girls U12
                          • Janet Peng, Girls U16 (playing up a section)
                          • Zehn Nasir, Open U16

Comment

Yes Andrew Peredun did a stellar job and knows how to draw a crowd. We're lucky to have him around!

Comment

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post
                              U16G was won by a U14 girl, according this rule, she must play in U16G in CYCC to get bursary, however as many know that CYCC rule doesn't allow younger age play up, so she couldn't get the bursary? and the bursary will give to 2nd and 3rd place? or the CYCC will allow younger kids play up if they can win provincial YCC?
                              just wondering if there is clear rule regarding CYCC how a younger age can play up, such as win provincial YCC, or highest rating in the older age section?
                              George, hi - can you point us to the "CYCC rule doesn't allow younger age play up", e.g. is it in the entry form, the CFC handbook, or elsewhere? My recollection is that players in the past have been allowed to play up at the CYCC.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X