Magnus Retires!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnus Retires!

Flash! Article from today's Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) official newsletter, "Inside CCC", Issue # 14-3

Magnus Retires!

FIDE President, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, commented sadly: “This is not a good day for chess.”

He was commenting on a tweet today, by World Chess Champion # 16, Magnus Carlsen (Norway), the highest-rated human ever. Magnus tweeted:

“I am sorry to all my fans. But I cannot any longer pursue chess. I wish to advance my fashion career with my sponsor company, RAW, and it will take all my time. I have gotten much from chess, and thank everyone.”

The chess world is shocked!

Magnus only became champion in November, 2013. And he had been a most active, publicly, world champion – he took his role as champion as including an obligation of chess promotion (and of course, in addition, all this did wonders for attracting future personal sponsors).

It is now assumed by all that FIDE will simply pass the title of World Chess Champion on to the recent 2014 Candidates’ Tournament winner, 15th World Chess Champion, Viswanathan Anand. He was to play Magnus this November for the world title, in Magnus’ first title defence.

Chess is definitely Old Wild West Territory! Thanks Magnus for your exceptional contribution to chess!

By Bob Armstrong, CCC Member (Canada)

Re: Magnus Retires!

Ilyumzhinov has been talking to the aliens again!
    Et tu, Bob.... ah yes it's April 1

Comment

Yes, but only after he completes his WC match with Anand on an oil rig in the North Sea!

http://en.chessbase.com/post/breakin...2014-in-norway

Comment

Bob, Im sure you can do much better - we all know how much Magnus loves chess retiring for fashion?? trading the passion of chess for fluff??????? Cmon that is so sad and pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Flash! Article from today's Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) official newsletter, "Inside CCC", Issue # 14-3

Magnus Retires!

FIDE President, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, commented sadly: “This is not a good day for chess.”

He was commenting on a tweet today, by World Chess Champion # 16, Magnus Carlsen (Norway), the highest-rated human ever. Magnus tweeted:

“I am sorry to all my fans. But I cannot any longer pursue chess. I wish to advance my fashion career with my sponsor company, RAW, and it will take all my time. I have gotten much from chess, and thank everyone.”

The chess world is shocked!

Magnus only became champion in November, 2013. And he had been a most active, publicly, world champion – he took his role as champion as including an obligation of chess promotion (and of course, in addition, all this did wonders for attracting future personal sponsors).

It is now assumed by all that FIDE will simply pass the title of World Chess Champion on to the recent 2014 Candidates’ Tournament winner, 15th World Chess Champion, Viswanathan Anand. He was to play Magnus this November for the world title, in Magnus’ first title defence.

Chess is definitely Old Wild West Territory! Thanks Magnus for your exceptional contribution to chess!

By Bob Armstrong, CCC Member (Canada)

I love seeing the "Magnus Retires!" and "Korchnoi is back!" threads right next to each other.
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

i was like "darn.....for fashion?"

then i laughed so hard realizing it's the "Kasparov returning day"

Comment

Certainly, there was FULL's DAY yesterday, wasn't it!!!!!??????

Comment

Working...
              X