Millionaire Chess Tournament to be cancelled ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millionaire Chess Tournament to be cancelled ?

Received from Maurice Ashley:

It's Decision Time

“The organizers reserve the right to cancel the tournament if 1,500 participants are not registered by March 31, 2014.” - Millionaire Chess web page.

Isn’t it amazing how all dates, no matter how far off into the future they seem, will suddenly sneak up on you and seem like they happened in an instant?

When my partner Amy Lee and I first talked about launching Millionaire Chess nine months ago, the date of March 31, 2014 was a major milestone that seemed far off on the distant horizon. It was a date brimming with a hopeful but unknown future, the date when chess players might share and affirm our company’s vision of a chess tournament that could change the landscape of the game forever.

Admittedly, it was also a safety net, a get-out-of-jail free card, a ‘j’adoube’ (to use a chess term) in case the world of chess was not quite ready to commit to such a bold, aggressive, and almost cocky venture. While we were intending to sacrifice a ton of time and resources to give the event a boost, we wanted to mitigate the risk as much as possible before committing the farm to exciting yet uncharted territory.

Now, the date has finally arrived and despite a tremendous showering of support, the hopeful number quoted at the top of this piece did not materialize. Actually, given that only 76 players signed up by the deadline, we may want to call up Amy and Maurice sitting by the lake last summer and tell them to go canoeing instead! (Hopefully, the canoe doesn’t sink!)

I can joke about it now, especially since we've had a month to digest all the information. At any rate, I am not one to cry over spilt milk for too long. Had I not taken this journey, I would never have connected with all the good folks who share our vision. I also would not have learned some valuable lessons that stemmed from this venture, an important one being that despite how wonderful your idea is and how many support it, it may not fit into everyone's timeline.

Our company is now at a crossroads. Like any good chess player, we have had several backup plans in reserve in case of this precise eventuality. They all involve taking the full risk upon ourselves, taking a chance that this ambitious, almost over-the-top idea is worth doing, in fact, needs to be done if the world of chess is to take a big step forward.

Still, although we are dreamers and risk-takers by nature, we are also entrepreneurs who could be using our time and resources to seek out less challenging investment opportunities. Granted, this venture has also been about achieving a dream to help change chess, and there is nothing like being involved in a cause or mission bigger than oneself. However, time is money, and, more importantly, money is money! This might be a case of knowing when to walk away.

Pilots like to say “Wheels up” referring to the moment when the plane is about to take off. For us, that moment will be Monday morning, April 7, when we will announce our final decision to the public. Will Millionaire Chess take flight or be left in the hangar to sit idly by? Should we leave this battle to others as chess continues to struggle for relevance in a bleak American landscape? Is this all worth the risk?

Stay tuned…

Appreciatively,

Maurice Ashley
    Millionaire Chess Partner

Re: Millionaire Chess Tournament to be cancelled ?

Am I understanding this? You wanted 1,500 participants and you got a whole 76. You could almost hold the event in an old school bus.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure I get all this either. There's nothing new here. What he seems to want to do, in effect, is run another World Open but with more players, higher entry fees, and more prize money. What's new about this and why does he think it will "...change the landscape of the game forever"? Clearly there is a serious barrier to participation somewhere between World Open entry fees and Ashley's $1,500. Each to his own obsession I guess.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

An alternative would be to keep the entry fees down, but find sponsors to kick in lots of money. This event was designed so that the organizers would be investing nothing (or a minimal amount of money) - only their time (note the lack of paid advertising). Six months advance warning gives the hotel enough time to find something else to fill that October time slot - there was quite possibly no non-refundable deposit required for the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
          Yeah, I'm not sure I get all this either. There's nothing new here. What he seems to want to do, in effect, is run another World Open but with more players, higher entry fees, and more prize money. What's new about this and why does he think it will "...change the landscape of the game forever"? Clearly there is a serious barrier to participation somewhere between World Open entry fees and Ashley's $1,500. Each to his own obsession I guess.
          In fairness to Maurice Ashley, the entry fee is $1,000 U.S. (not $1,500), and according to this page:

http://millionairechess.com/news/prize-fund-ratios/

the prize money distribution is better than any open tournament out there (whether that's actually true or not I can't say).

Assuming it is true, I suppose the real question becomes, does this better prize distribution and the sheer prestige of the event overcome the high entry fee? That was the gamble they took. It looks like a bad bet, which is not too surprising as you say Peter, given the nature of chess. I think Maurice, and Amy Lee as well, were counting on some sort of groundswell of pride to motivate the base of the chess pyramid into action with the goal of elevating the game they love into a new era. Seemingly very ambitious and daring... but like you point out, Peter, not much has actually been committed and everyone involved is likely to make a clean break, no haircut for anyone. It was a ''toe in the water' and the water turned out very cold indeed. I think the only one really 'hurt' in any way is Maurice himself, as this leaves him nothing to really shoot for in terms of creating prestige and a new era for chess.

I wonder if Borislav Ivanov was one of the 76 registered? After all, if he's sure he can beat GMs and (if he has a cheating method) not get caught, what better tournament to go for broke than this one?
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

According to Chessbase, this tournament will actually take place - even with less than 100 advance entries.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/1-000-0...ment-announced

Comment

Hi Paul. Thanks for the correction on the entry fee. :o

I agree with you with the exception of the last sentence in your second last paragraph. I think Maurice Ashley has a well established reputation as a man of integrity who has worked hard over the years to promote chess - particularly to children. I imagine this setback won't slow him down for long.

Regards,
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

81 entries as of April 8. (link might not work)

http://millionairechess.com/news/reg...ce=Millionaire Chess Newsletter&utm_campaign=463f76e228-Newsletter_3_6_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ee446a1396-463f76e228-96078977

Or try this:

http://millionairechess.com/news/registration-list/

Comment

There are evidently more than 500 registrants now.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/...ed-connections

Comment

Working...
                  X