GM Kayden Troff and what parents do to support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM Kayden Troff and what parents do to support

I personally want to thank Dan Troff for posting. There are a lot of resources that the Troff family discovered that could be used by others. - And it is amazing to see what is going on in terms of support for youth in the States and how it has evolved. Its not enough to say "oh but thats in the States and we dont have those opportunities". The first thing to do is see the model and if it inspires then to add to what we are doing. Kayden Troff has an amazing future and incredible family support and its a perfect model for growing youth opportunities in chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
      This fellow (and his parents) seems to have a much bigger commitment to chess than most in North America. If his goal is to follow in the footsteps of say Hikaru Nakamura (i.e. a top twenty or so player, at least), good. If he ends up like Josh Waitzkin, for one, abandoning chess for other interests in his early twenties, then I do question whether all the money and time was worth it. I guess I have a problem with the idea of making a professional-type commitment to something that's only going to be a relatively casual hobby.
      I think you have read Josh Waitzkin wrong. He would be the first to admit that chess shaped his mind and competitive focus and he then chose martial arts to further growth in life. He is an amazing individual who leads a very cutting edge life (which most people would shy away from).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
        This fellow (and his parents) seems to have a much bigger commitment to chess than most in North America. If his goal is to follow in the footsteps of say Hikaru Nakamura (i.e. a top twenty or so player, at least), good. If he ends up like Josh Waitzkin, for one, abandoning chess for other interests in his early twenties, then I do question whether all the money and time was worth it. I guess I have a problem with the idea of making a professional-type commitment to something that's only going to be a relatively casual hobby.
        Josh Waitzkin was able to win the push hands world championship in part because of his chess experiences. He and his father wrote best sellers about his experiences. Life is a journey with many adventures along the way. Chess may become a life long profession or obsession for some. For others it may evolve into an enjoyable diversion. You learn things along the way that can be applied to other areas of your life. It isn't always about the money or the time. It is about enjoying the experience, having fun and drawing some lessons. You don't get to take the money with you when you die unless you are an ancient Egyptian pharoah and even then you only get to keep it until the grave robbers locate it.

Comment

I'm not real familiar with this website - so I apologize in advance if I disappear for a month or a year and don't promptly respond to questions. Kayden does spend 6-9 hours per day on his chess. Some of that may be conditioning - running, working out, etc., but for the most part it's fairly intense study. He does like computer games - Nintendo, apps on his Ipod, etc. He is homeschooled and so most of his time is spent on his chess, although he is a great writer, excellent at math, and well versed in American History and science. Kayden usually will take the weekend off -especially going to church on Sunday and serving others- since he feels that his talent is a gift from God. On Saturdays he will unwind -maybe we'll catch a movie, or go fishing, or hiking - and he often goes to the local dances in the evening.

As far as his talent - Kayden could not do what he does without some natural brilliant talent, but it is his hard work and work ethic that has played a more important role for his success. No one reaches Grandmaster level without putting in thousands of hours to get there. And he understands that there are many of thousands of hours to still put in to work towards the future. And he's willing to pay that price. :D
          Last edited by Dan Troff; Friday, 18th April, 2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the sharing, Dan...life is kind of like a game of chess...enjoy chess, enjoy the life...enjoy the chess life...cheers

Comment

Here's Kayden on KUTV:

http://www.kutv.com/news/features/gu...vid_2809.shtml

Comment

Working...
              X