X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Bent Larsen book ?

Another Bent Larsen book?

June 8, 2018

In another chess discussion group recently the massive three-volume work on Bent Larsen was discussed. See all posts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/206305099539809//

This, in part, is what the correspondent Nagesh Havanur said:

This book in Danish is a curiosity. It’s the first of the three- volume collection that the publishers planned. The work deals with the first 30 years of his life. Here the reader will be able to play through all Bent Larsen's available tournament games from 1947 to 1965.

To all purposes this is a “ complete collection of his games” for the period.

Only about 30 are missing out of the total of 1,088 tournament games played by Larsen during these years.

Larsen gained international recognition on account of his performance during the Chess Olympiad in Moscow 1956. Years later he was to share the first place in Amsterdam Interzonal 1964 and become a candidate for the world championship. In the Candidates’ cycle he beat Ivkov and only lost to Tal.

Larsen was a fierce individualist both on the board and off the board. He was a player with a highly original style and his determination to win was rivaled only by Fischer and Korchnoi. According to this book Larsen did not get along well with officialdom in Denmark and he did not get the co-operation that he deserved in his career.

I believe, the original project of a three-volume collection deserves to be completed. However, I have yet to hear of any progress on the remaining volumes. Meanwhile this book should become available to readers in English translation.

P.S. Currently it is available in both hardback and paperback. I could locate one book shop online for this work https://bit.ly/2GXBPvA There could be others. As language is still an issue and the project itself is still incomplete, I am not recommending it for buying. At least for now.

________

I began to wonder if the first volume might become so rare that it would be out of my price range. To be safe rather than sorry, I ordered it online from the publishers. There was only the airpost option for shipping. The book itself was 67 CAD and the shipping was far more than that. I cannot bring myself to write down the total.

Anyway, today it arrived. It is a big beautiful paperback of 1110 pages on art paper. It covers Larsen’s games from 1935 to 1965. It is filled with photos, games, crosstables and indices. It is a pleasure to have on my shelf.

The second and third volumes will give his games from 1966 to 2008 and a large selection of his articles.

Is this the year of Larsen? I have written about a Russian book which should be appearing at any time now, entitled “Chess Genius named Bobby Fischer”

https://forum.chesstalk.com/showthre...ghlight=larsen

Only 56 pages but worth getting, I suspect.

There is a book in Swedish entitled “Nar Bent motte Boris och sista dansen med Lizzie” by Lars Grahn

https://twitter.com/larsgrahn

The author says of the English edition on his twitter page:

My book ”When Bent Met Boris and the Last Dance With Lizzie” (Larsen-Spassky Candidates Semifinal, 1968) will be on sale in a couple of months. The games are annotated in depth by Magnus Carlsen's second Peter Heine Nielsen.

Yasser Seirawan has given me invaluable help with my book ”When Boris Met Boris and the Last Dance With Lizzie” (Larsen vs. Spassky, Malmö 1968), proofreading and editing. He talked about it today when commentating on @NorwayChess for the @chessbrahTV

_________

So, for the Larsen collector, two books in the pipe and one expensive one waiting to be bought!
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 8th June, 2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Another Bent Larsen book ?

I loved reading all the Bent Larsen columns. He was always entertaining.... his games... his annotations and his observations of life. Chess Canada was a great Canadian chess magazine. In addition to Vlad, I remember Lawrence Day, Angela Julian (Day), Paul Janicki, Larry Buchan, ? Rubinstein, Ken Field working there. Lawrence Day's column in Chess Canada was also priceless. Also some of George Kuprejanov's caricatures or top gm's of the day were very amusing and well done. I could not wait to get my next issue. My first issue, I ironically bought it at my local Shopper's Drug Mart. It was I believe March 1973 with Tal on the cover. Eventually I owned every issue, but for some reason, they all got thrown out during one of my moves. Such a shame.

Comment

Working...
      X