Kitchener Invitational Team Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchener Invitational Team Championship

I am posting this in lieu of Ed Thompson who is too busy to do chesstalk (direct quote). Rumour has it that a Windsor team led by Ray Stone (who came out of retirement after more than 10 yrs!) and Brian Profit (who I thought was in Belleville??) beatup on all the other teams to win the team championship on Saturday. The Windsor team's entry was due to the outstanding organizational efforts of Vlad Drkulec and I am even more impressed that they were willing to drive more than 3 hours to play!
    Vlad (or anybody else who was there) - if you are reading this maybe you could provide more details - how many teams there were and where they finished etc.

Re: Kitchener Invitational Team Championship

Ive been told there were 8 teams from Windsor, Hamilton, Mississauga, Toronto, London, Brantford, Kitchener, and Waterloo. Windsor's team goes on the trophy and they plan to defend their title next year. I personally was surprised at how many masters played (5).

Comment

I find it disappointing that the organiser is "too busy" to communicate the results to the chess community. The KW website is updated sporadically, so the only reports will be via the CFC active ratings, and... this thread.

Vlad Drkulec sent me an email, I hope he doesn't mind if I reproduce it here. The Windsor team consisted of Ray Stone, Brian Profit, Alan Baljeu, and Vlad Drkulec.

"We won all four matches that we played. They shortened the tournament because there were only 8 teams and the games took longer than they initially budgeted timewise.

"I finished with 3/4 in my individual games. I think Brian had 3.5/4 while Alan was steady with two wins and two draws, if I am not mistaken. He took draws to secure match victories so he was steadier than his score would suggest. Ray battled the rust but lost on time against Doughery and lost against Demmery in a game where he had a couple of different ways to win but got into trouble. I thought Ray played well but he was on first board and played some tough customers.

"Fortunately for us we only needed a tie in the last round to win the tournament but managed to win again against Dougherty and Zubac's team.... I defeateded Zubac and then looked to my right and noticed that Brian was up a rook so I knew that we had won the event."

Comment

He's sent out an email a few hours ago.

SwissSys Standings. team
        # Name ID Rtng Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Tot
        1 1 Windsor 1809 W3 W6 W2 W4 4.0
        2 3 Hamissuaga 1691 W8 W4 L1 W3 3.0
        3 8 London 1708 L1 W5 W7 L2 2.0
        4 5 A to Z 1785 W7 L2 W6 L1 2.0
        5 7B Waterloo 1802 L6 L3 W8 W7 2.0
        6 4 Brantford 1361 W5 L1 L4 L8 1.0
        7 6A Waterloo 1484 L4 W8 L3 L5 1.0
        8 2 Drayton 1476 L2 L7 L5 W6 1.0

We had a good tournament with 33 players and 8 teams. The winning team,
        Windsor 1's, consisted of Ray Stone, Vlad Drkulec, Brian Profit and Alan
        Baljeu. The prizes included trophies for each player and $160 prize money.
        The Windsor team name will be engraved on the permanent trophy kept at the
        KW Chess Club. We expect to see Windsor back to defend their title next
        year.

Ed Thompson
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          I find it disappointing that the organiser is "too busy" to communicate the results to the chess community. The KW website is updated sporadically, so the only reports will be via the CFC active ratings, and... this thread.

Vlad Drkulec sent me an email, I hope he doesn't mind if I reproduce it here. The Windsor team consisted of Ray Stone, Brian Profit, Alan Baljeu, and Vlad Drkulec.

"Fortunately for us we only needed a tie in the last round to win the tournament but managed to win again against Dougherty and Zubac's team.... I defeateded Zubac and then looked to my right and noticed that Brian was up a rook so I knew that we had won the event."
          Actually I wrote that just after getting home from the three hour ride and was pretty tired. Brian was actually sitting on my left. Also there was a fifth teammate looking on and that was Milan Vukadinov who passed away a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            I am posting this in lieu of Ed Thompson who is too busy to do chesstalk (direct quote). Rumour has it that a Windsor team led by Ray Stone (who came out of retirement after more than 10 yrs!) and Brian Profit (who I thought was in Belleville??) beatup on all the other teams to win the team championship on Saturday. The Windsor team's entry was due to the outstanding organizational efforts of Vlad Drkulec and I am even more impressed that they were willing to drive more than 3 hours to play!
            Vlad (or anybody else who was there) - if you are reading this maybe you could provide more details - how many teams there were and where they finished etc.
            Actually Brian Profit was just as responsible for the organization of the Windsor team as I was. I had planned to play when I first heard of this event but Brian contacted me and suggested that we might try to assemble the Windsor I team which at times consisted of Ray Stone, Milan Vukadinov, Brian Profit, myself and sometimes Meng Lou or Bob Djordjevic. We dominated the team events that we played in for many years. We were always first or second in the Detroit Metro League (and those were some very strong teams that we were competing against including IM Ben Finegold, senior master Fred Lindsay, IM Leonid Basin, Vadim Tsemekman and many other solid masters) I was a member of that team in the early to late 1990s and it is a period of very fond memories. We had a lot of fun together.

We would often travel together over to the Detroit Metro League Friday night and then we would come back to Windsor and take over a room or a long row of tables at the Trevi Restaurant across from the tunnel and then we would go over the games and eat some delicious pizza and hoist a few beers. There was also a Windsor II, III and sometimes IV and we would go over their games as well.

Milan passed away a few years ago and we all miss him sorely. Meng Lou is working in New York for an investment banking company at last report so he was unlikely to be available. Brian suggested that I contact Ray and try to coax him out of retirement for at least this one event. I agreed to try but waited a few weeks before contacting him because I wanted to be at my most persuasive. When I called Ray I found him receptive but non-commital. He said he was intrigued but was a bit hesitant. I made it clear that we were not going to put any pressure on him. We didn't really expect to win but the experience of playing together again was what we were after. Ray invited me over to his home and we had dinner and went over some of my recent games and of course played some speed chess. Ray seemed fairly sharp for someone who hadn't played in so long.

Anyway, we left it at a very strong maybe and I suggested that even if Ray decided not to play that he accompany us as a non-playing captain so we could have the experience of being a team again. He liked that idea and said he would take some time to think about it. I sent Brian an email and told him that I thought that Ray would play but that he had not yet committed but the tone of my email was optimistic and Brian wrote back that he was smiling ear to ear when he read my email.

Anyway, Ray called long before the deadline that I suggested for a decision and accepted and the rest is history. We got together a couple of times for speed chess and analysis and also got together online several times for some practice games and I must say that just this bit of time again with Ray has energized my chess in much the same way that playing with Ray, Milan and Brian energized my chess play in the early 1990s.

I feel that there is a lifetime bond of friendship between teammates especially those who have played together a great deal like Ray, Brian and myself have. Alan is now also a worthy part of a long and proud tradition.

I think that more team events like this one could be one key to reenergizing chess in Canada.

P.S. I should also note that the Detroit Metro League team after game pizza and beer tradition goes back at least to the 1970s when we used to go back to the Volcano Pizza Restaurant (at Victoria and Wyandotte) and later Franco's and then the Trevi.
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 22nd June, 2008, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I would also like to add that Ed Thompson ran an excellent event like he always does. It was a pleasure to play in Kitchener in one of Ed's events again. I will definitely be back for more in the future.

Comment

Thanks Vlad for posting the background of Windsors teams and especially about Milan! I have very fond memories of Windsor over the years. I'm sorry I wasnt there on Saturday to be part of the action but say hello to Ray for me!
                Its wonderful to have chess events that bring chessplayers together for good times and cameraderie.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  Thanks Vlad for posting the background of Windsors teams and especially about Milan! I have very fond memories of Windsor over the years. I'm sorry I wasnt there on Saturday to be part of the action but say hello to Ray for me!
                  Its wonderful to have chess events that bring chessplayers together for good times and cameraderie.
                  The impact that Milan had on chess in Windsor cannot be overstated. He was always very generous of his time and was always willing to help out anyone young or old with some good chess advice and coaching. I can't think of one player who knew him who did not owe a great deal to his guidance. He raised the level of local play to a level which it never would have reached if he were not there.

I will tell Ray that you said hello.

Comment

Working...
                  X