X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 PwC Toronto Open

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Bindi:

No online registration - just snail mail or in person at Strategy Games.

Bob
    ... and there is no on-site registration? Sorry for being so negative, but why is it so difficult to register for such a big event?

Comment

Hi Tyler:

You are right - no on-site registrations either.

Brian told me he wants the tournament professionally run, and one item is getting started on time, which almost never happens with late, last-minute entries. Why can't chess players plan ahead like they do in chess?

I do agree with you though, that an on-line credit card immediate payment option would have been more modern - Mei Chen Lee did this for at least one of her Chessca tournaments.

Bob

Comment

I Called CMA in Ottawa and they are not accepting the payment, they only give out the entry forms. Are the entry forms available online?

Comment

Hi Bindi:

No online registration - just snail mail or in person at Strategy Games.

Bob
          Brian has been at the Saturday Blitz in recent weeks, so
          its possible to register there.
          Vlad

Comment

Hi Tyler:

You are right - no on-site registrations either.

Brian told me he wants the tournament professionally run, and one item is getting started on time, which almost never happens with late, last-minute entries. Why can't chess players plan ahead like they do in chess?

I do agree with you though, that an on-line credit card immediate payment option would have been more modern - Mei Chen Lee did this for at least one of her Chessca tournaments.

Bob
            I agree that starting on time is important, and I respect the wish to have a professionally run tournament... but if its this difficult to attend given the scheduled dates and difficulty of registration, Im just going to save my money for Edmonton. =]

Comment

Hi Sanjiv:

Here is the website: WEBSITE: http://www.gtachessevents.memberlodge.com/

I'm not sure, but I think it has the registration form.

I'd do an e-mail to Larry Bevand to let him know about Ottawa. As far as I know, that's not the arrangement with Brian Fiedler, and he's advertising " in person " registrations at Strategy Games, and they are getting publicity in exchange.

Bob

Comment

In my opinion, Aris Marghetis of Ottawa has the most effective Central Canadian method of ensuring ease of player access to chess events, combined with smooth operating conditions and starting rounds on time. I think that this major upcoming Toronto event, the most important held in that city for several years, should learn some practical details from Aris, in order to boost player interest and participation, so that this really becomes something special.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjiv Kalra View Post
                  I Called CMA in Ottawa and they are not accepting the payment, they only give out the entry forms. Are the entry forms available online?
                  Hmmm....

Hi Sanjiv,

I don't know what happened but...as of tomorrow...registrations at ALL our locations are possible...maybe there was a communication problem....I am trying to be generous here :)

Sincerely,

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry, thank for all you are doing. But I did call and speak to Brad at his home today and he said that the message from Montreal was to give out the forms for this game. It would be nice if you can clarify this.
                    Sanjiv

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjiv Kalra View Post
                      Hi Larry, thank for all you are doing. But I did call and speak to Brad at his home today and he said that the message from Montreal was to give out the forms for this game. It would be nice if you can clarify this.
                      Sanjiv
                      Hi Sanjiv,

As of tomorrow you will be able to register at our Ottawa location. I will speak to our Ottawa staff.

Sorry for the mix-up.

Sincerely,

Larry

Comment

Larry: What about cma tournaments?

Hi Larry,

Seeing as CMA is listed as a sponsor, will you be distributing flyers at your excellent CMA youth tournaments and accepting Toronto Open registration at those events?

When The Toronto Open got over 300 players in the 1970s it was partly because of a huge number of new players in the Novice section. I think for the Toronto Open to get over 300 it will need to attact some of the 1,000 of kids playing in CMA rated tournaments in Toronto.

Maybe offer a free Toronto Open entry fee as part of first place prizes in CM events.

Comment

Hi Tyler:

It's going to be a good tournament - you won't want to miss it !

Bob

P.S. How about if I reimburse you for the snail mail stamp when I see you at the tournament? How can you pass that offer up? but I know the exam period timing is a bummer.
                          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 24th March, 2009, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Hi Tyler:

It's going to be a good tournament - you won't want to miss it !

Bob

P.S. How about if I reimburse you for the snail mail stamp when I see you at the tournament? How can you pass that offer up? but I know the exam period timing is a bummer.
                            Hi Bob,

Thanks for the offer. I have no doubt the tournament will be nice and I would enjoy myself.

Its not the cost of sending mail that is the issue, it just seems like such a hassle. I know it probably seems like nothing to alot of people, but its just annoying for me to mail something when I usually can just email a registration and pay on site. Maybe my generation is just spoiled =]

In addition, if I cant pay by cash on site I would prefer to register by a credit card, but I understand that is not always available.

To be honest though, its more of a timing issue that makes it difficult. I have an exam on the 22nd, and paying for the round trip bus plus entry fee just doesn't really make sense when Im broke enough as is. Although I would win the u2000 section anyways (kidding!), I don't want to be worrying about my exam the whole time.

Im sure Ill see you in the summer (SCC perhaps)
                            -Tyler
                            Last edited by Tyler Longo; Tuesday, 24th March, 2009, 01:13 AM. Reason: My grammar stinks.

Comment

Hi Tyler:

You make a good argument for more modern registration methods.

Bob

( The last SCC tournament of the season starts April 30 - another 9 round swiss - we're closed July & August )

Comment

Why not create a PAYPAL account just like the other organizers did for online pre-registration to eliminate the hazzle?

Comment

Working...
                                X