My Australian thread is gone too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Australian thread is gone too!

Now that I'm back from almost 3 weeks in Australia - I'm disappointed that my thread has disappeared. I visited the Melbourne CC and checked out the giant chess set in Sydney's downtown Hyde Park.

Anyways - someone wanted to know about chess clubs in Melbourne. The Melbourne CC is theoretically open 24 hours a day. It is located at 66 Leicester St. - just off yuppie Brunswick St., which is served by the #112 tram from downtown (or a 20-30 minute walk). The Box Hill CC is open Tuesday and Friday nights: 3 Rochester Rd. - across the street from Canterbury train station - a 30 minute ride from downtown.

You can find more club info at: http://www.auschess.org.au/ or http://www.chesschat.org/

For lack of nothing better to watch on my hotel TV early in the morning or late at night - there was always cricket - either England vs the West Indies or Australia vs South Africa. The same game could continue for 4 or 5 days (of course - with the mandatory tea breaks).

On the subject of tea, a British friend of mine used to play in inter-club (chess) matches in the county of Kent - just south of London. In the early 1970's, after about 2 hours of play - all clocks would be stopped, and the host club would serve tea. After 10 or 15 minutes, play would resume. Does anyone know if this practice continues?

Re: My Australian thread is gone too!

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Now that I'm back from almost 3 weeks in Australia - I'm disappointed that my thread has disappeared. I visited the Melbourne CC and checked out the giant chess set in Sydney's downtown Hyde Park.

Anyways - someone wanted to know about chess clubs in Melbourne. The Melbourne CC is theoretically open 24 hours a day. It is located at 66 Leicester St. - just off yuppie Brunswick St., which is served by the #112 tram from downtown (or a 20-30 minute walk). The Box Hill CC is open Tuesday and Friday nights: 3 Rochester Rd. - across the street from Canterbury train station - a 30 minute ride from downtown.

You can find more club info at: http://www.auschess.org.au/ or http://www.chesschat.org/

For lack of nothing better to watch on my hotel TV early in the morning or late at night - there was always cricket - either England vs the West Indies or Australia vs South Africa. The same game could continue for 4 or 5 days (of course - with the mandatory tea breaks).

On the subject of tea, a British friend of mine used to play in inter-club (chess) matches in the county of Kent - just south of London. In the early 1970's, after about 2 hours of play - all clocks would be stopped, and the host club would serve tea. After 10 or 15 minutes, play would resume. Does anyone know if this practice continues?
    Actually Hugh, most of the staff at www.chesschat.org are on terse terms with the chess administrators who run the Box Hill Chess Club (BHCC) and the Melbourne Chess Club (MCC). Therefore most of the activities for these clubs and the news on results and games, etc. is now posted primarily on www.ozchess.com.au instead of chess chat.

www.chesschat.org is probably better for Sydney and NSW related chess events as it has more members from that state.

Firegoat7 (the former MCC President) and MOZ (the Chess Victoria Treasurer and BHCC Director of Play) regularly post on OzChess and would be able to answer any queries relating to BHCC and the MCC, including upcoming tournaments and other chess events. Even apart from chess queries they are great chaps to kick back and have a beer with - as I am sure you are too :)

Best Regards,

Alex

ps- I hope you enjoyed your trip :)
    Last edited by Alex Toolsie; Wednesday, 11th March, 2009, 02:50 AM.
    OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
    http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Toolsie View Post
      Firegoat7 (the former MCC President) and MOZ (the Chess Victoria Treasurer and BHCC Director of Play) regularly post on OzChess and would be able to answer any queries relating to BHCC and the MCC, including upcoming tournaments and other chess events. Even apart from chess queries they are great chaps to kick back and have a beer with - as I am sure you are too :)

Best Regards,

Alex

ps- I hope you enjoyed your trip :)
      Is there any original material on Ozchess? I notice original posts I made have appeared there in your Chess Tigers thread under someone elses name.

It makes me wonder if Australian Intelligence is an oxymoron.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Hugh,

That was me who asked you about that chess club's address in Melbourne(in that missing thread). Next year I'm planning to visit Melbourne and that information would be very useful for me. Thank you very much for providing the address.
        :)

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
          Hi Hugh,

That was me who asked you about that chess club's address in Melbourne(in that missing thread). Next year I'm planning to visit Melbourne and that information would be very useful for me. Thank you very much for providing the address.
          He Caesar,

Do you have any chessfriends there from Correspondence Chess? I have invited several of my opponents to call me if they come to Toronto so they can visit.

Maybe 15 or more years ago I met a correspondence player from Russia at a friends house. He was visiting and some of us had an afternoon of chess. Maybe 7 years ago he was paired in an event I was playing. I asked him if he remembered me. He told me he had a photograph of himself and me.

Us long time correspondence players have friends all over the world.

Regards,
          Gary
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Is there any original material on Ozchess?
            Yes!

I notice original posts I made have appeared there in your Chess Tigers thread under someone elses name.
            Well, Axiom - one of the oldest remaining Siberian Chess Tigers has authored many of these accounts - which are first hand I might add, he really lived through those experiences!

It makes me wonder if Australian Intelligence is an oxymoron.
            Show me one intelligence agency which isn't an oxymoron :)
            OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Toolsie View Post

Well, Axiom - one of the oldest remaining Siberian Chess Tigers has authored many of these accounts - which are first hand I might add, he really lived through those experiences!
              No problem there. The thing is a couple of my posts here have been lifted from this board and reposted on Ozchess under a different name.

I don't mind the repost because I wrote the material in question to entertain. The only thing I ask is the writing be attributed to me. Like put my name in the posts as the author.

My secretary, Miss HatchetHead, is appalled at the liberties being taken on Ozchess. She's hoping that being on the bottom of the planet, Australia doesn't simply drop off.

I asked HatchetHead to be nice as I feel certain you folks will do the right thing and attribute my writngs to me.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary,
                I've got two schoolmates living in Melbourne(Australia).They know each other very well and I have a contact with one of them thru Skype on the internet.They invited me to visit them long time ago and they are not correspondence chess players, although they play chess.

Regards,

Caesar

P.S.I added some of my pictures of that simultaneous play versus Borys Spasski in here - on this website. Just go to my profile's pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                  P.S.I added some of my pictures of that simultaneous play versus Borys Spasski in here - on this website. Just go to my profile's pictures.
                  That's a very nice set of pictures. I didn't see myself in the crowd of people watching the Spassky Simul. I didn't stay more than an hour after the simul started.

There are many people who watch the simuls. Are there sheets of information available about the chess organizations for those who want to take one?

It's nice you have people to visit in Australia. I've had 2 Australian opponents that I can remember. Before that I thought someone sending 2 different moves to his opponent by mail was a joke. One of my opponents mailed me two diifferent moves on the same day. One was postmarked in the morning and the other one was postmarked in the afternoon.

It didn't make any difference because it was an even ending and I think both moves were equal. Anyhow, I claimed a win. I didn't get it. He said he didn't remember sending the two moves and there isn't any reason I should not beleive that. I could have used whichever move I wanted and said nothing as he could not very well have claimed to have sent a second move. :) Maybe he had a senior's moment. :)

It was a U.S. tournament director and he did a terrible job of directing the event. He's on my list of tournament directors whose events to avoid. For his efforts on making the event last more years they rewarded him with the IA title. There are a few tournament directors in whose events I won't play. They are either incompetent or favour their countrymen or both. These days with the server I suppose it is easier for a TD to be competent. There are, and always were, many very competent and dedicated TD's.

Some of the guys on the correspondence message board told me I'm a problem player. Of course, I deny that! :)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    No problem there. The thing is a couple of my posts here have been lifted from this board and reposted on Ozchess under a different name.
                    Okay, now I finally understand what you are going on about and the nature of your complaint. Sorry about the confusion. Could you please PM me the links and I will try my best to investigate further? Thanks for bringing that to my attention Gary.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Thank you very much for your information in regards to the Melbourne chess club that I was interested in.

Comment

Working...
                      X