Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rated Forfeits

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    All joking aside, I will not be renewing my membership when it comes due if the problem is not rectified forthwith. One more wasted Monday night at the ACC and I'll just stay home and play online where there's never a forfeit and my membership is absolutely free (:
    I thought that the ACC implemented some kind of the fine for no-shows. Was it abandoned?
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 26th September, 2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

You obviously meant aborted, Egis. I certainly hope there is still a significant monetary penalty. I'll ask Monday night and give you a definitive answer. My suspicion is that there's a penalty ($20?) but that it's not significant enough to be effective. There have been many studies done that amply illustrate that cheap penalties only encourage bad behaviou ):

Comment

You obviously meant aborted, Egis. I certainly hope there is still a significant monetary penalty. I'll ask Monday night and give you a definitive answer. My suspicion is that there's a penalty ($20?) but that it's not significant enough to be effective. There have been many studies done that amply illustrate that cheap penalties only encourage bad behaviou ):
        Is "abandoned" better? :)
        I thought it was 5 or 10$ only :) I was on that day when it was announced (most likely during one of team competitions)

Comment

or he meant 'abandoned' ... in any case, I would agree that imposing penalties simply force people to leave the club.
          I don't think it is a good long term solution to the problem; I don't know what might be a good solution.
          Asking people to put up an appearance "bond" before the tournament (like other such penalties) simply leads to
          arguments about "exceptions" etc. When I was directing club tournaments I would ask people if they intended to
          make it to the club EVERY single night of the 5 or 6 nights in a row and surprisingly some people said 'no' and I
          told them they couldn't play in the tournament! Some still managed to somehow forget about round 3 or whatever
          and not take it at all seriously... what can you do?
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Is "abandoned" better? :)
            I thought it was 5 or 10$ only :) I was on that day when it was announced (most likely during one of team competitions)
            I certainly can't quibble with abandoned (as opposed to abounded), Egis (:

Whether the penalty might be $5/$10/$20 it's been absolutely nugatory. Perhaps Eric's $50 might do the trick. But I really like Eric's suggestion of never pairing anyone who has previously forfeited a game unless they're at the club in the flesh. I would think more than 80% of the forfeiture problem would disappear if that rule were to be implemented (:

Comment

Re: CFC Should Rate Forfeits

To forfeit without a very compelling excuse is, to my way of thinking, unpardonably poor sportsmanship. Not only should the forfeit be rated but the offender should be suspended from the tournament and, I would argue, on a repeat offence suspended from the club.
              I recall on one occasion moving heaven and earth to readjust my schedule so I could play in a tournament only to find, on showing up for the second round, that my "opponent" was a no-show, for the second time in two rounds.
              We had an incident at Ottawa's RA club this week: the club champion was paired against an opponent who had decided not to play in that round, failed to inform the TD, and had the gall to show up at the fieldhouse bar afterward to add insult to injury.
              Perhaps the problem stems from the view that chessplayers have nothing else to do with their time so wasting it is of no consequence.

Comment

Re: CFC Should Rate Forfeits

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                To forfeit without a very compelling excuse is, to my way of thinking, unpardonably poor sportsmanship. Not only should the forfeit be rated but the offender should be suspended from the tournament and, I would argue, on a repeat offence suspended from the club. ...
                I agree. Distortions to the rating system would be insignificant. At least the player who shows up would get something for his/her trouble (if s/he doesn't truly merit the extra rating points, they'll be passed along to someone more deserving soon enough). Clubs and/or TDs/organizers should be allowed to determine additional penalties for repeat offenders.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Okay, so the argument is that chess players (who, generally speaking are regarded as cheapskates) would think nothing of a 20-dollar penalty but would care about losing say 20 rating points?

I certainly can't quibble with abandoned (as opposed to abounded), Egis (:

Whether the penalty might be $5/$10/$20 it's been absolutely nugatory. Perhaps Eric's $50 might do the trick. But I really like Eric's suggestion of never pairing anyone who has previously forfeited a game unless they're at the club in the flesh. I would think more than 80% of the forfeiture problem would disappear if that rule were to be implemented (:
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X