Qualify for the strongest Edmonton International ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualify for the strongest Edmonton International ever!

The 9th annual Edmonton International will take place in the Edmonton Chess Club between June 21st-June 29th.

This year's competition promises to be the strongest ever. The list of Grandmasters includes: Vassily Ivanchuk, Wesley So, Lazaro Bruzon, Anton Kovalyov and Irina Krush!

Currently 9 out of 10 spots are filled; however, one spot is open for the winner of the qualifying tournament which will take place in the Edmonton Chess Club on May 31st-June 1st. Everyone is eligible to participate in the qualifier, the only caveat is that the winner must have an established FIDE rating in order to be eligible for the main event.

The 9th Edmonton International Chess Festival will also include: a lecture by GM Irina Krush on Friday, June 20th, a simul by GM Wesley So which will follow immediately after, a Blitz tournament with GM participation on June 21st and a lecture by GM Vassily Ivanchuk on Monday, June 30th.

An Open Reserves section will take place on June 27-29, but only 20 spots are available and they are expected to be filled fast.

See full details of the event at: www.edmonton-international.com

Re: Qualify for the strongest Edmonton International ever!

Hot news! Congratulations Edmonton on a stellar line up and an interesting qualifier idea. Chess fans note Ivanchuk!! and So!!

Comment

Two weeks isn't the greatest amount of notice to book a flight, arrange hotel, etc. If you do this next year would you please consider advertising a bit earlier. You would probably get a bigger turnout for the qualifier.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        Two weeks isn't the greatest amount of notice to book a flight, arrange hotel, etc. If you do this next year would you please consider advertising a bit earlier. You would probably get a bigger turnout for the qualifier.
        Tom, I think the qualifier is more for local players. It's too expensive to travel from Ontario to Edmonton just to qualify (which is not 100% guaranteed if IM Edward Porper or other strong players play in the qualifier). At this moment, the average rating of the 9 players is 2510, so a GM norm can be achieved by the 10th player with 6 points (very tough considering the strong GMs). For an IM norm 4 points are enough but still difficult to get. Depending of the 10th player's rating (under 2100) 6 points might not be enough for a GM norm and the 2 IMs will need 6 1/2 points :(
        If you want to play against 2 super GMs, have the money and skill to qualify and don't care too much about the norms this is a nice opportunity.
        If you're looking for a norm it's cheaper to go to Chicago or New York.
        Last edited by Rene Preotu; Friday, 16th May, 2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
          Tom, I think the qualifier is more for local players. It's too expensive to travel from Ontario to Edmonton just to qualify (which is not 100% guaranteed if IM Edward Porper or other strong players play in the qualifier). At this moment, the average rating of the 9 players is 2510, so a GM norm can be achieve by the 10th player with 6 points (very tough considering the strong GMs). For an IM norm 4 points are enough but still difficult to get. Depending of the 10th player's rating (under 2100) 6 points might not be enough for a GM norm and the 2 IMs will need 6 1/2 points :(
          If you want to play against 2 super GMs, have the money and skill to qualify and don't care too much about the norms this is a nice opportunity.
          IM Porper won't play in the qualifier as he was already offered a spot in the International which he declined. I guess anyone can just show up but so far there is no one over 2300 CFC on the pre-registered list.
          I think that the chances for norms are pretty remote in such a tournament, but if someone does get it they will surely deserve it!

Comment

Very interesting and strong line-up. Chess players from Alberta are really lucky to have good organizers and wealthy provincial association. Personally I like the idea of giving 1 spot to the winner of the qualifier.

Few weeks ago I was trying to convince one strong Canadian player to play more in strong Round-Robbin tournaments as the best (easiest) way to get norms. 2 reasons:

1. In RR you usually don't meet very low-rated (say, below 2000) opponents, which could significantly reduce or even eliminate your norm chances in Swiss event.

2. In Swiss you usually play with very motivated opponent in last 2-3 rounds (in American tournaments, if they are not motivated they just withdraw). In RR players don't withdraw for different reasons (commitments, chances to be invited next time, etc). So you have a chance to play with absolutely unmotivated opponent.
            Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Friday, 16th May, 2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Tom, I think the qualifier is more for local players. It's too expensive to travel from Ontario to Edmonton just to qualify (which is not 100% guaranteed if IM Edward Porper or other strong players play in the qualifier). At this moment, the average rating of the 9 players is 2510, so a GM norm can be achieved by the 10th player with 6 points (very tough considering the strong GMs). For an IM norm 4 points are enough but still difficult to get. Depending of the 10th player's rating (under 2100) 6 points might not be enough for a GM norm and the 2 IMs will need 6 1/2 points :(
              You are right, of course. It's a bad investment. But I look at my adult chess playing in four stages:

Stage one (18-29): had time, had health, had little money
              Stage two (30-48): had health, had money, had little time
              Stage three (49-59, this stage): have all three
              Stage four (60 plus ): will have money, will have time, will have little health

It's the sweet spot!
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

... if IM Edward Porper or other strong players play in the qualifier).
                I don't think there's much chance of IM Porper joining the Qualifier. He was invited to play in the International, and declined. IM Panjwani eagerly took his place.

To IM O'Donnell: Yes, this tournament should have been advertised earlier. My fault, not Vlad Rekhson's. It's not only for local players. Anyone who is willing to come will be welcomed to the International if they win (and have an established FIDE rating).

If IM O'Donnell decides to invest in the plane tickets, last minute, it looks like he will out-rate his nearest competitor, NM Rob Gardner by almost 200 points.
                Say, didn't O'Donnell and Gardner used to be roommates in Montreal? I sense a rivalry.

Comment

Working...
                X