Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Svidler on Tal

Svidler on Tal

Chess24.com has a very readable (daily?) column by Jan Gustafsson. Of course, you have to like movies and tv, pop culture and science fiction and sports as well as chess. There is an interview with his old friend Peter Svidler today:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/svi...y-chess-and-tv

My view is that when Peter’s playing days are over he will become a commentator perhaps teaming with Jan.

Excerpt from the interview:

On Mikhail Tal

Jan Gustafsson: Peter, we just published your video series on the 8th World Champion Mikhail Tal. Why did you choose Tal?

Peter Svidler: As I somewhat stumblingly tried to explain in the intro, I always felt a great sense of affinity with Mikhail Tal. A lot of it was to do with his playing style, which I can't pretend I copied, but I think it’s what most of us aspire towards in our best games: free-flowing, intuitive, exciting.

But no less important to me was the sense I got from the stories told by people who knew him well - that success didn’t change him, perhaps uniquely among the World Champions, with the possible exception of Vishy. He achieved the ultimate goal we all strive towards, but without becoming a different, harder, less open person.

Did you ever get to meet him?

I saw him from across the hall in 1992, shortly before his death, during the Alekhine Memorial qualification rapid, I think, or possibly the open.

That counts in my book. Speaking of books, Tal’s Life and Games is probably my favourite chess book. Did you get to read that at an early age and is there anything else you read on him or by him that influenced you?

I did read the bio, and the books on the World Championship matches - but for me it was always the games and the stories. I don't think I can name one single thing that stands out - it was this general feeling that he, more than anyone else, was someone I wanted to be like.

Is your series a collection of Tal’s best games?

Not necessarily, though some of the better known, definitely. There’s also a common theme, I think – mind over matter or, if I want to get all lofty, imposing your will on stubborn reality. It’s very striking to observe how he bends the course of the game to his will.

Tal had a bit of a transformation later in his career, from being a firebrand to becoming a fine positional player who went on a streak of 95 unbeaten games. Do you feel you’re undergoing a similar transformation now that you’re almost an elder statesman of the chess scene?

Well, I’m definitely an elder, but how much of a statesman is for others to judge. I think this kind of transformation is natural, and perhaps inevitable, over time. Still, his example shows that pigeonholing a talent as vast as his is never a good idea.

Svidler's next events

Moving on to your career, you’ll shortly play in Norway Chess, one of the strongest tournaments ever. Are you excited to play or does the powerful field make you a little nervous?

A bit of both, clearly, but it's exactly the kind of tournament I’ve loved throughout my career, so more excited than worried. I even did some work!

Great, your secret that you prepared the Hartlaub Gambit is safe with us! chess24 headquarters will root for you, even though we’ll miss you in the commentary booth... Last chess question: do you already know if you’ll represent Russia at the Chess Olympiad in (hopefully) Tromsø?

Seems so, provided it takes place - my mother proudly informed me I was named as one of the four people who will play a few days ago.

Re: Svidler on Tal

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    Speaking of books, Tal’s Life and Games
    Is this book a direct translation of 'V ogon ataki' ~197x?

As for more books about (by) Tal: a new book from Batsford - Tal, Koblencs - Study Chess with Tal. Just started to read. Should be good.

Comment

Re: Svidler on Tal

I heard stories about Peter Svidler from Yan Teplitsky, his sparring partner. Thats one guy Id like to meet and have a chat with. Whatever happened to Yan?

Comment

Re: Svidler on Video

Svidler on Video

Talking of Peter Svidler as a raconteur, there is a video, free online, with this description:

Peter Svidler: The Glory Days of 1999

In the following half-hour video seven-time Russian Champion Peter Svidler tells the story of how he lost to three World Champions in quick succession back in 1999. His account of losing the same topical Grünfeld position against Kasparov, Anand and Karpov is quintessential Svidler – self-deprecating, erudite and very funny!

See:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/pet...y-days-of-1999

Comment

Working...
        X