• The Top Ten List

The Top Ten List

For those who like Top Ten Lists, there are two just out on:

Top 10 Best Chess Players in History

http://www.factofun.com/top-10-best-...ayers-history/

and

Top 10 Players Who Never Won World Chess Championship

http://www.factofun.com/top-players-...-championship/

The first list compiled by Yuvraj and the second by Ashish Acharva.

The lists are reasonable though many will question the final order. Good photos accompany the articles.

Top 10 Best Chess Players in History

10. Mikhail Tal
    9. Mikhail Botvinnik
    8. Vladmir Kramnik
    7. Viswanathan Anand
    6. Emmanuel Lasker
    5. Anatoly Karpov
    4. Alexander Alekhine
    3. Jose Capablanca
    2. Bobby Fischer
    1. Gary Kasparov

Top 10 Players Who Never Won World Chess Championship

10. Akiba Rubinstein
    9. Harry Nelson Pillsbury
    8. Miguel Najdorf
    7. Samuel Reshevsky
    6. Mikhail Chigorin
    5. Siegbert Tarrasch
    4. David Bronstein
    3. Paul Keres
    2. Victor Korchnoi
    1. Paul Morphy

Re: The Top Ten List

The perception of the top ten players changes from decade to decade. There is a Wikipedia article on various attempts to get such a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ughout_history

Bobby Fischer named his list of history’s Top 10 players in 1964, leaving out Lasker and Botvinnik. I seem to remember that Flohr criticized him for the omission of Lasker but seemed reluctant to take anyone off the list to put Lasker on!

10. Samuel Reshevsky
    9. Mikhail Tal
    8. Boris Spassky
    7. Jose Capablanca
    6. Alexander Alekhine
    5. Mikhail Tchigorin
    4. Siegbert Tarrasch
    3. Wilhelm Steinitz
    2. Howard Staunton
    1. Paul Morphy

I was surprised by Staunton, but each to his own.

Fischer said he based inclusion on the games of the players he named rather than on performances and credits earned.

John Nunn’s Chess Course, just published, is a complete chess education based on the games of Lasker, whom Nunn considers the universal player. So let’s put him on the list!

Comment

Arbitrary lists are indeed subjective, but for some reason we all find them of interest. From my perspective, it is absurd to exclude Adolf Anderssen.

It would of course be equally controversial, and domestic, to attempt the same with Canadian players - Frank Anderson, Abe Yanofsky, Kevin Spraggett, Mark Bluvshtein, Bryon Nickoloff, Igor Ivanov, Eric Hansen, Alexander Lesiege, Duncan Suttles, and Nava Starr would be on my list (please keep in mind I don't know many of the new players, so my list is very subjective to my experience).

Brian

Comment

Brian, you are making things more difficult.

If you put Adolf Anderssen on the list, how can I put on Bent Larsen?

And whom do we take off?

Comment

Any list without the current world Champion shows no respect to progress LOL

Comment

Agreed.

I also should add Lawrence Day. Obviously in 1980 he was one of the most interesting GMs, regardless of title. I apologize that I overlooked Lawrence out of familiarity.

Brian

Comment

So why then a top 10, better a top 20.

Comment

This post sees unexpected low traffic, given the inherent nature of such debate of who is the GOAT. Tennis fans still did not decide the matter, even if Federer was named GOAT by Eurosport I believe. Agassi just rekindled the discussion picking Nadal. Well, that's tennis.

Coming back to our heroes, I guess we won't have agreement either. What's the criteria to rank them? I guess we will see multiple rankings...
                Is Magnus the greatest because he plays the most accurate chess (I believe someone demonstrated this by running computer analysis on player's games, but I might be wrong). Is Kasparov the greatest because of 15 years of domination? Is Alekhin the greatest as Aronian believes, because of his deep and original ideas? And so on.
                I believe Botvinnik is somehow underranked. He was the Patriarch, and without his "ground setting" it would have been no Karpov or Kasparov. But again, he was allowed to play chess when millions of Russians were either in Gulag or squeezed between Stalin and Hitler, which is kind of ridiculous.

My favorite criteria remains that of the outlier - someone who had to do it pretty much by himself against "the establishment". And here we have Bobby Fischer and Anand, with Bobby being not only alone but, unfortunately, lonely.

One name for the greatest players never to become WC - Ivanchuck. Even Kasparov endorsed him as belonging to that special group.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                  This post sees unexpected low traffic, given the inherent nature of such debate of who is the GOAT. Tennis fans still did not decide the matter, even if Federer was named GOAT by Eurosport I believe. Agassi just rekindled the discussion picking Nadal. Well, that's tennis.

Coming back to our heroes, I guess we won't have agreement either. What's the criteria to rank them? I guess we will see multiple rankings...
                  Is Magnus the greatest because he plays the most accurate chess (I believe someone demonstrated this by running computer analysis on player's games, but I might be wrong). Is Kasparov the greatest because of 15 years of domination? Is Alekhin the greatest as Aronian believes, because of his deep and original ideas? And so on.
                  I believe Botvinnik is somehow underranked. He was the Patriarch, and without his "ground setting" it would have been no Karpov or Kasparov. But again, he was allowed to play chess when millions of Russians were either in Gulag or squeezed between Stalin and Hitler, which is kind of ridiculous.

My favorite criteria remains that of the outlier - someone who had to do it pretty much by himself against "the establishment". And here we have Bobby Fischer and Anand, with Bobby being not only alone but, unfortunately, lonely.

One name for the greatest players never to become WC - Ivanchuck. Even Kasparov endorsed him as belonging to that special group.

If you like the outlier who went against the establishment, then you have to put Nimzowitsch (who hasn't even been mentioned yet) way ahead of Ivanchuk.
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Players of the Millennium

In This Week in Chess for January 3, 2000 Mark Crowther gave the results of a poll for the favourite players of the Millennium.

502 readers took part and 116 players were nominated.

The top ten results were:

1. Bobby Fischer 362 votes

2. Garry Kasparov 345 votes

3. Alexander Alekhine 230 votes

4. Mikhail Tal 218 votes

5. Jose Capablanca 196 votes

6. Emanuel Lasker 140 votes

7. Anatoly Karpov 114 votes

8. Paul Morphy 91 votes

9. Mikhail Botvinnik 73 votes

10. Viktor Korchnoi 66 votes

The whole 116 nominations are given. It is worth looking at to see if Duncan Suttles got more votes than Woody Allen!

Vishy Anand was the first of the post-Karpov generation to make the list. Of course, Magnus Carlsen was only ten years old at the time and got no votes then.

The list is item #11 in that issue.

http://www.theweekinchess.com/html/twic269.html#11

Comment

Working...
                    X