Certificate of Continuance has been issued for the CFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certificate of Continuance has been issued for the CFC

We are now compliant with the NFP act. The certificate of continuance has been issued today, Monday May 26th, 2014. The governors are now voting members. All provisions of the NFP act apply as of today.

Re: Certificate of Continuance has been issued for the CFC

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    We are now compliant with the NFP act.
    Thanks for all the hard work in shepherding it through!

Comment

Originally posted by Walter De Jong View Post
      Thanks for all the hard work in shepherding it through!
      You are welcome!

A big monkey has now been removed off of our collective backs.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 26th May, 2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Voting members. The way the adult membership is dropping some effort should be made to try to discover if more members would renew if the entire membership were voting members. When I was involved in chess organizing I stood for election by the entire chess club every year.

I doubt open elections would make much difference to the outcome of the elections. In my experience most players are only interested in a well run organization and well run events.

The reason I'm alarmed by the drop in adult membership is the CFC membership is dropping toward the levels I had when I was the membership secretary of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association (CCCA). The number of the adult membership got up to around 650. My estimate is the other 50 were juniors.

Possibly discussing a membership secretary and incentives for signing new members might be an idea.

Now you have a new certificate and a new class of voting members it seems like a good time to try to rebuild organized chess.

This is something for the suggestion box.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Voting members. The way the adult membership is dropping some effort should be made to try to discover if more members would renew if the entire membership were voting members.
          That would be my preference but it would have been a hard sell to the governors. At the moment we are no further away from that than we were before the NFP act process. It still requires a two thirds buy in from the voting members.

When I was involved in chess organizing I stood for election by the entire chess club every year.

I doubt open elections would make much difference to the outcome of the elections. In my experience most players are only interested in a well run organization and well run events.

The reason I'm alarmed by the drop in adult membership is the CFC membership is dropping toward the levels I had when I was the membership secretary of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association (CCCA). The number of the adult membership got up to around 650. My estimate is the other 50 were juniors.

Possibly discussing a membership secretary and incentives for signing new members might be an idea.
          There are already incentives for signing new members. They don't seem to be working very well.

Now you have a new certificate and a new class of voting members it seems like a good time to try to rebuild organized chess.

This is something for the suggestion box.
          This is definitely on my to do list on the assumption that the promised GK proponents sweeping away of the directors for a new group of paid puppets er... directors doesn't materialize.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 26th May, 2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              Good work.
              Thank you. The governors err... voting members deserve some of the praise. They passed the motion that allowed us to get this done.

Comment

Thank you. The governors err... voting members deserve some of the praise. They passed the motion that allowed us to get this done.
                However, YOU were clearly the person who worked very hard to shepherd this through - despite the usual and apparently obligatory backlash from amateur politicians and the like. I thank you for taking the point on this and working so diligently. Without your guidance this would have been a disaster and the CFC would be rudderless.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Yes indeed! Thank you, Vlad.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    However, YOU were clearly the person who worked very hard to shepherd this through - despite the usual and apparently obligatory backlash from amateur politicians and the like. I thank you for taking the point on this and working so diligently. Without your guidance this would have been a disaster and the CFC would be rudderless.
                    Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    Yes indeed! Thank you, Vlad.
                    You are both welcome. This would have indeed been a disaster if I had not approached it with the discipline of someone facing an very avoidable apocalypse. I had the example of what didn't work with the first attempt and report of the first NFP committee. I had to jettison all of the deck chairs and non-essential items to get something through that most could support in a reasonable time frame.

I hope that I will get to finish the process as the CFC is still in somewhat of a vulnerable state. If a few people with a dictatorial disposition were to be installed in positions of power at this point we would have some real challenges ahead of us.

Comment

I hope that I will get to finish the process as the CFC is still in somewhat of a vulnerable state.
                      Why not postpone the AGM until the process is completed and the future of the CFC continuance assured?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Why not postpone the AGM until the process is completed and the future of the CFC continuance assured?
                        Don't get it. The continuance was confirmed (see a top message).

Comment

I have been asked to do that and it is in my current power to do that. If we don't get a list of new voting members (governors) soon we will have to do that because of the statutory requirements on notification on at least the incoming portion of the meeting.

In every action you have to weigh the damage against the benefit. In fighting monsters you don't want to become a monster yourself. My perhaps naive belief is that despite the noises and a few personnel changes among the governors we will have a similar group to the one we had before. Unlike at least one soon to be nemesis among the governors I have read the NFP act and I understand its provisions. I can stop any shenanigans long enough to get the safeguards in place. If they hire a lawyer who can read they might come to understand that. Many of the key safeguards should be in place after the outgoing governors meeting.

Comment

Working...
                          X