Rapid Chess and Fundraiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid Chess and Fundraiser

When trouble comes, it comes in bunches!

First the email from the management of Puck ‘N Wings that our location will not be available for chess for the duration of the World Cup soccer. Then, at the same time the ChessTalk site becomes unavailable for some four days. Then ChessTalk starts to work but my computer dies! $175 to install a new hard drive L

Now the computer works, but my brain doesn’t – how to deal with all the minor changes with each re-installed program. Aaaaarghhhh.

OK, back to problem #1.

Can we quickly find a replacement venue for the June 14th Olympiad fund raiser?

If not, we should reschedule the event for july 19th or 26th at Puck N Wings and which date is best to avoid conflict with other tournaments?

Meanwhile, we will continue tomorrow with our regular rapid and perhaps someone will come up with something then. Any ideas? Anyone?

Please RSVP if you will play tomorrow.

Thanks,

Vlad D

Re: Rapid Chess and Fundraiser

You may have to take into account the Canadian Open and CYCC on the new dates.

Comment

site for fundraiser

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      When trouble comes, it comes in bunches!

First the email from the management of Puck ‘N Wings that our location will not be available for chess for the duration of the World Cup soccer. Then, at the same time the ChessTalk site becomes unavailable for some four days. Then ChessTalk starts to work but my computer dies! $175 to install a new hard drive L

Now the computer works, but my brain doesn’t – how to deal with all the minor changes with each re-installed program. Aaaaarghhhh.

OK, back to problem #1.

Can we quickly find a replacement venue for the June 14th Olympiad fund raiser?

If not, we should reschedule the event for july 19th or 26th at Puck N Wings and which date is best to avoid conflict with other tournaments?

Meanwhile, we will continue tomorrow with our regular rapid and perhaps someone will come up with something then. Any ideas? Anyone?

Please RSVP if you will play tomorrow.

Thanks,

Vlad D
      Hi Vlad,
      We have a well-lit dining room that seats about 50, with a shaded backyard for those who want to play Al-Fresco. I am fairly sure that it will be free on Sat. June 14th from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
      Our cause is good and patriotic: To raise funds for the men's and women's chess teams who will be competing in the Olympiad in Norway. I know that I am speaking for the tenants of Wm. Dennison Apts. when I say: "We are glad for the opportunity to help". I am sure that our landlord, TCHC will mirror this sentiment.
      Please give more details such as entry fees etc.
      We are centrally located at 310 Dundas St. E. (Dundas and Sherbourne). Despite the short notice, I am very optimistic that I can secure this site which is ideal for chess.
      Hua

Comment

Re: site for fundraiser

Hi Hua,
        Thank you for your help, but I have confirmed a space in the Strategy Games Room, 701 Mt Pleasant where all the equipment is already on site - space for 40 chess sets (already set up), so we won't have any equipment problems. There is also an Aiolo Pizza shop just up the street where will get a supply for our lunch buffet.
        So for your goodwill and offer to help, please accept a free entry to the tournament and lunch, of course.

Thanks,
        Vlad D

Comment

The June 14th Olympiad Fundraiser Rapid tournament is back on track!
          We have secured a spot – the Games Room at the Strategy Games store at 701 Mt Pleasant a short walk south from Eglinton. We are also fortunate to have two sponsors and as a result the prizes are enhanced including a top woman prize and we will also have complimentary pizza and sodas at the start of play – 2:00 pm.
          The Entry fee remains at $20
          The First prize is guaranteed at $400
          Top Woman prize at least $50
          Other prizes according to entries. Whatever prize money is won by a member of Canada’s Olympiad team – an equal amount will be donated to the team by our principal sponsor. The team members thus far confirmed to play are >>>
          Bator Sambuev
          Leonid Gerzhoy
          Nava Starr
          We will post an advance entry list on ChessTalk with frequent updates over the next few days.
          Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Monday, 9th June, 2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

The Olympiad Fundraiser Rapid tournament is back on track!
            We have secured a spot – the Games Room at the Strategy Games store at 701 Mt Pleasant a short walk south from Eglinton. We are also fortunate to have two sponsors and as a result the prizes are enhanced including a top woman prize and we will also have complimentary pizza and sodas at the start of play – 2:00 pm.
            The Entry fee remains at $20
            The First prize is guaranteed at $400
            Top Woman prize at least $50
            Other prizes according to entries. Whatever prize money is won by a member of Canada’s Olympiad team – an equal amount will be donated to the team by our principal sponsor. The team members thus far confirmed to play are >>>
            Bator Sambuev
            Leonid Gerzhoy
            Nava Starr
            We will post an advance entry list on ChessTalk with frequent updates over the next few days.
            Please register me as well! Sasha Starr.

Comment

This will be a great opportunity for out-of-town players to come to Toronto for a chess weekend and play in both the Rapid as well as the Toronto Blitz Championship organized by a team from the Annex Chess Club where there will be a guaranteed First Prize of $1,000.
              The most economical Hotel seems likely to be the Best Western Roehampton, 808 Mt Pleasant - a short walk from the Strategy Games shop - where Larry Bevand has stayed in the past few days - and you know Larry is a cheap guy and so must have found the best deal! But for the best rates, you must book on line at >>>> bestwestern.com/808 Mt Pleasant

In past Rapid events we have had a carload of players from Montreal - organized by Andre Gulko and surely there must be a carload of keen players who would come from Ottawa.
              Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Monday, 9th June, 2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

13 Advance Entries

Bator Sambuev 2682
                Leonid Gerzhoy 2572
                Peter Vavrak 2508
                Michael Kleinman 2443
                Victor Plotkin 2371
                Yuri Aronov 2298
                Mark Plotkin 2256
                Hans Jung 2203
                Sasha Starr 2197
                Brian Fiedler 2196
                Nava Starr 2142
                Peter McSherry 1844
                Hugh McNeil 1819
                Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Monday, 9th June, 2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I should point out that no part of players' entry fees are going to the Olympiad fund. Our generous sponsor is making the contribution separately - whatever money a team member wins, an equal amount will be donated to the Olympic team.
                  If you wish to make a separate contribution to the team's expenses, you may do so and it will be gratefully accepted.
                  So, the better the turnout, the better the prizes!

Comment

14 Advance Entries

Bator Sambuev 2682
                    Leonid Gerzhoy 2572
                    Peter Vavrak 2508
                    Michael Kleinman 2443
                    Victor Plotkin 2371
                    Yuri Aronov 2298
                    Michael Barron 2259
                    Mark Plotkin 2256
                    Hans Jung 2203
                    Sasha Starr 2197
                    Brian Fiedler 2196
                    Nava Starr 2142
                    Peter McSherry 1844
                    Hugh McNeil 1819

Comment

I am cheap :). This is how I keep costs down when going to Toronto. On the way in from Montreal I stay at Motel 6 in Whitby. Show a CAA card and you save 10 per0ent. The next day I drive into Toronto where I stay at the Roehampton...on airmiles :). The Roehampton for those paying real dollars also gives a 10 percent discount wiith a CAA card. During these warm months you should reserve ahead for lodging on Friday and Saturday as hotels fill up quickly. There is also the dorms at Glendon College on Bayview. I haven't been for a while but Universities in general are getting expensive for what you get these days.

Comment

Hi Hua,
                        Thank you for your help, but I have confirmed a space in the Strategy Games Room, 701 Mt Pleasant where all the equipment is already on site - space for 40 chess sets (already set up), so we won't have any equipment problems. There is also an Aiolo Pizza shop just up the street where will get a supply for our lunch buffet.
                        So for your goodwill and offer to help, please accept a free entry to the tournament and lunch, of course.

Thanks,
                        Vlad D
                        Good ol' Larry Bevan to the rescue, with bugles blowing, white destrier charging and armor so bright, it would blind your eyes. That leaves me to do nothing, for which I am well-gifted, practising it most assiduously throughout my life. Thanks for the offer of a freebie, but I will insist on making my little financial contribution to the good cause. I'll be there. Somebody had to be in the vanguard.
                        Hua

Comment

15 Advance Entries

Bator Sambuev 2682
                          Leonid Gerzhoy 2572
                          Peter Vavrak 2508
                          Michael Kleinman 2443
                          Victor Plotkin 2371
                          Yuri Aronov 2298
                          Michael Barron 2259
                          Mark Plotkin 2256
                          Hans Jung 2203
                          Sasha Starr 2197
                          Brian Fiedler 2196
                          Nava Starr 2142
                          Chinhua Chen 1955
                          Peter McSherry 1844
                          Hugh McNeil 1819

Comment

Now, there will be more reason to join the Rapid this Saturday >>>>
                            Our principal sponsor (who wishes to remain anonymous) has just bumped up the top prize to $500 and the top woman prize to $100 - an equal contribution to go to the Olympiad team, should a team member win the prize.

Comment

Here's a money-saving trick I used when travelling to New York (in my youth). >>>>>

Travel overnight and check in at a hotel at 7 am.
                              Get some five hours sleep.
                              Go to the club or tournament.
                              Back to the hotel for the night.
                              Check out by 1 pm having paid for one night!

Should our Montreal or Ottawa friends want to try this, I would suggest you book in advance and make sure to ask how early you can check in.

Comment

Working...
                              X