X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wesley So

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Wesley now calls Minnetonka home.
    Interesting. Insofar as chess is a game of "information", I guess it really doesn't matter where a super GM lives anymore; so much data (and personal interaction) can be had via the internet. As long as you live close to an international airport - and Minneapolis fits the bill - why not live where the surroundings make you happy?

In a similar vein, I was surprised when GM Alex Yermolinsky told me a few years ago that he lives in South Dakota. I mean, its not easy to end up in South Dakota! But - the cost of living is low in Sioux Falls, and you can work as a chess coach from anywhere nowadays, so he really likes it.

Comment

and GM Yermolinsky is still willing to drive multi hours to get to tournaments. In St Louis last year he showed up late because he drove from San Francisco to see his fmaily quickly before driving on to St Louis!

Comment

Originally posted by Gus U View Post
        FYI the Americans no longer have naval and air force bases in the Philippines once considered the largest outside the US.
        Defense News: "MANILA — The Philippines is set to offer the US military use of eight bases, a military spokesman said Wednesday ....The facilities include the former US Clark airbase and air and naval facilities ..."

Official: Philippines to Offer the Use of Eight Bases to US Forces

The Americans don't have a single base there! But that's because they have eight bases. lol.
        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 14th January, 2016, 01:15 PM. Reason: lol
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Ding Liren – Wesley So Match

January 27, 2016

There will be a four game match between Ding Liren and Wesley So in May 2016, with the winner getting $20,000 and the loser $10,000.

It will be held in the beautiful bays national forest park in Shanghai.

http://www.qipai.org.cn/photo-47731.html

Comment

Working...
          X