Aurora Opens - girls love them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No brainer

What I would do, I would ask parents during the registration if they’re OK with taking pictures.
    Nata Navodylo

Comment

Re: No brainer

Chess dad here... I don't know Egis personally but he's taken some quality photos of my son playing chess, and I appreciate his efforts. I could never get the same shots myself, as my son doesn't let me watch him play. Egis' gear is also much better than what I can bring to a tournament as I'm usually lugging a backpack full of snacks. ;)

Privacy-wise, I think all parents have legitimate concerns about the use of their child's image, and these concerns should be respected when they are raised. However, it would be a very dry world if no one could take pictures of people participating in a respectable community activity without obtaining consent ahead of time. My son loves going through pictures from the tournaments he can't get to (and the ones he can get to). It's a way for him to stay engaged — we'll definitely be hitting the photo galleries of the NAYCC in New York this weekend, looking for some of his friends.

As someone who's done some local history research, I think it will be fantastic if these tournament galleries survive in some form (e.g. through donation to municipal/provincial or CFC archives), when we can look back and watch how young [insert your favourite prodigy's name here] clawed his/her way up through local tournaments to join the world's elite. The mass media sure isn't going to document it for us.

Some basic guidelines I might suggest:
      -avoid tagging posted images — people who are part of the community will know who the players are, or can learn via word of mouth
      -take down images when requested by the subject or subject's parent (even if not legally required to do so)
      -don't target certain people way more than others unless, say, there's a chess-related reason — skill, prizewinners, etc.
      -maybe avoid posting gender-specific or age-specific galleries from mixed tournaments ;)

As far as I can tell, Egis is doing reasonably well here, and it would disappoint me if the postings here created such a chill that he stopped shooting.

Comment

word.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        No problems with parents yet.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Aurora Opens - girls love them

They are gone to prepare for their matches.

Comment

Re: word.

Egidijus,

I have a couple of chess students and also my daughter WIM Yuan, Yuanling in those pictures, I was told by parents it definitely had problems. At least, you should not do that next time.

William

Comment

Re: word.

Thanks Egis to remove the pictures.

Comment

Working...
              X