X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC match set for Sochi ...

See Susan Polgar's blog post:

http://www.susanpolgar.blogspot.ca/2...d-2014-in.html

Seemingly a deal between IllusionOf and RasPutin but Anand and Carlsen apparently have agreed.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: WC match set for Sochi ...

They did not have a lot of options.
    Also reported on ChessBase today.

Comment

I expect Anand to win.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The very same people who have urinated on the current corrupt FIDE regime for failing to come up with an arrangement for the World Championship will now denounce the arrangement as unworkable, unjust, and not worth supporting.

lol.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

The nice thing about having the match in Sochi is >>>>>
          It's about half way between Norway and India :)

Comment

Sochi is first mentioned in Greek mythology as the kingdom of Colchis on the east shore of the Black Sea. It was where Jason and the Argonauts went to find the Golden Fleece. In those ancient days, the inhabitants of the region would peg a sheepskin fleece to the bottom of a fast-flowing stream in order to catch gold dust washed down in the water.
            Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Wednesday, 11th June, 2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

NCF President Not Sure WC Match Carlsen - Anand Will Take Place in Russia

Wednesday, 11.06.2014

The president of Norwegian Chess Federation Joran Aulin-Jansson commented on the announcement made by Kirsan Ilyumzhinov according to which the world championship match Carlsen - Anand will be held in Sochi, Russia.

"I am not sure about that," said the president. "As I know the negotiations with the players are still on." Aulin-Jansson reminded of the sanctions European Union applied against Russia and noted that Carlsen may not be able to visit Russia due to political reasons. "We are still unaware of how the situation with Ukraine turns, but it's clear that if EU applies sanctions, the players and the federations of EU should follow them."

As to Sochi, Aulin-Jansson said it is a nice modern city with good conditions for holding winter Olympic games, however, he hoped that the match would take place somewhere else, not in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                NCF President Not Sure WC Match Carlsen - Anand Will Take Place in Russia

Wednesday, 11.06.2014

The president of Norwegian Chess Federation Joran Aulin-Jansson commented on the announcement made by Kirsan Ilyumzhinov according to which the world championship match Carlsen - Anand will be held in Sochi, Russia.

"I am not sure about that," said the president. "As I know the negotiations with the players are still on." Aulin-Jansson reminded of the sanctions European Union applied against Russia and noted that Carlsen may not be able to visit Russia due to political reasons. "We are still unaware of how the situation with Ukraine turns, but it's clear that if EU applies sanctions, the players and the federations of EU should follow them."

As to Sochi, Aulin-Jansson said it is a nice modern city with good conditions for holding winter Olympic games, however, he hoped that the match would take place somewhere else, not in Russia.
                I can understand the NCF would like for the match to not be played and Carlsen to retain the title. They had the chance to bid on the match but there were no bids. So it appears FIDE has set up a match with a budget.

He brings up a problem which does not exist at the current time.

I would assume a player who doesn't appear for the match would simply forfeit.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

WC match set for Sochi ...

World Match in Sochi

From chess-news.ru

Carlsen Asked for Postponement of WC Match, Ilyumzhinov Refuses

Thursday, 21.08.2014

FIDE president Kirsan Ilyumzhinov states that he got a letter from Magnus Carlsen's manager Espen Agdestein in which he asks if it's possible to postpone the match.

"I would like to stress that the question was not about the venue of the match but about dates, so I don't consider this question to be political," Itar-Tass quotes Ilyumzhinov. "Nonetheless, FIDE already responded that the postponement of the match is not possible as long as the match is in the official calendar from the last year, so changing of the dates can lead to a mess in the entire competition calendar."

From Dagbladet

August 21, 2014

Dagbladet: The International Chess Federation FIDE has declined Magnus Carlsen application to move the scheduled World Cup match against Vishy Anand.

The World Cup match is scheduled to start on November 7 in Sochi.

- There are still many uncertainties regarding the match. It is not good that it is so close, says Carlsen-manager Espen Agdestein, which he will not elaborate on until he has reviewed the issue properly.

At a press conference FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov said that he had received an application from the Carlsen camp to move the game. This has been rejected, writes the Russian news agency Itar-Tass.

- I got a letter from Carlsen manager where there was talk of moving the match. I want to emphasize that there was no talk of changing the place, just to changing the date. Therefore, I believe this is not a political issue, says Ilyumzhinov according to the news agency.

- I suppose it could be due to the tense situation between Russia, Ukraine and the West. The safety was certainly a theme in Chess Olympics, says NRK chess expert Torstein Bae.

Magnus Carlsen has always made it clear that Sochi was not a desired location.

- Magnus is skeptical and does not feel that this is the optimum place to play for a world championship in chess now.

- Either a deferral or a clean removal of the championship might be desirable. But I want to emphasize that this is a theory, says Bae.

Carlsen manager Espen Agdestein told Dagbladet just over a week ago, they feared that a Russian channel would spoil the TV rights.

The prize pool for this year's World Cup match is also halved compared with last year.

Comment

World Match in Sochi

From NRK
                    August 27, 2014

Carlsen-manager Espen Agdestein said to NRK.no on Monday that the world champion has asked for two weeks before he decides whether to play the World Cup Match in Sochi in November.

- It is impossible to give them more time. There are only two months to the Match. With all due respect for the World Champion, we cannot wait for two weeks now, says FIDE Vice-President Israel Gelfer.

This means that Carlsen must sign the contract by Friday. Otherwise, the Russian Sergey Karjakin will meet Vishwanathan Anand for the World Championship Match in November - and Carlsen loses the world title.

Carlsen and manager Espen Agdestein has been careful not to say too much about why they still have not signed the contract. However, there are several potentially important reasons.

One of the biggest Alexander Tkatsjev.

He is the governor of the region which, according to the Russian Chess Federation, will fund the entire World Cup match, totaling around 30 million.

The problem: Tkatsjev is on the EU sanctions list, which was adopted in connection with Russia's actions in the Crimean conflict and Eastern Ukraine. Norway participates in the sanctions.

Tkatsjev, in effect, a "persona non grata" in the West, will therefore finance Carlsen cash prize in Sochi.

Espen Agdestein has contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

- We have been in dialogue with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which adds to the uncertainties. Although there is currently not a sports boycott of Russia, there are things about which we still feel unsure, say Agdestein.

Senior Research Fellow Jakub Godzimirski of the Norwegian Institute for International Affairs understands why Team Carlsen is skeptical.

- The fact that you get money from someone on the EU sanctions list, is probably not in breach of any law. But it is a political gray zone, says Godzimirski, an expert on Russian security and foreign policy.

- Why should chess player Carlsen pay attention to politics?

- Carlsen has his PR strategy, and he has invested a lot in its image. He may soon find that this image is being abused for propaganda purposes, says the researcher.

Chess Expert Atle Green explains:

- If he should help to legitimize Putin's policy in Ukraine, then you can say that it will be a moral scratch in the paint for Magnus. This is the first international crisis, he has been involved in, and it's not good, at least not the way Team Carlsen wants to build brand Magnus Carlsen, says Green.

In addition, there are other possible causes. Espen Agdestein has also told NRK.no that he believes the players get too short a time to prepare.

The match is scheduled to start in eleven weeks, and Carlsen is playing in the Sinquefield Cup in the United States over the next two weeks.

Comment

Sochi does need all the help it can get...

http://gizmodo.com/just-six-months-a...e-a-1626519139
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I look at this a bit differently. Carlsen holds the FIDE World Championship title. Fide has set up a match which should be acceptable under the current political situation as it applies to sport.

It should be noted Norway had a chance to bid for the match but did not. They had a sovereign wealth fund of slightly under 1 Trillion dollars so money couldn't have been the problem.

While Carlsen would appear to have the obligation to defend the title, what he doesn't have to do is accept the prize money if he chooses not to do so. He can refuse the money or have it put in trust until such time as the political situation is cleared up and acceptance is not a problem, if that ever happens. This kind of depends on the value he and his nation put on the championship title.

Anand has earned the right to a championship match and that should not be lost in the emotion.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

"Senior Research Fellow Jakub Godzimirski of the Norwegian Institute for International Affairs understands why Team Carlsen is skeptical.

- The fact that you get money from someone on the EU sanctions list, is probably not in breach of any law. But it is a political gray zone, says Godzimirski, an expert on Russian security and foreign policy."

"Carlsen and manager Espen Agdestein has been careful not to say too much about why they still have not signed the contract. However, there are several potentially important reasons.

One of the biggest Alexander Tkatsjev.

He is the governor of the region which, according to the Russian Chess Federation, will fund the entire World Cup match, totaling around 30 million.

The problem: Tkatsjev is on the EU sanctions list, which was adopted in connection with Russia's actions in the Crimean conflict and Eastern Ukraine. Norway participates in the sanctions.

Tkatsjev, in effect, a "persona non grata" in the West, will therefore finance Carlsen cash prize in Sochi"

Kirsan is next.
                          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 27th August, 2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

WC match set for Sochi ...

World Match in Sochi

From the ecforum.org.uk
                            Aug. 28, 2014

Justin Horton:

1. I very much doubt that FIDE actually want Carlsen to be defaulted. Given that he's not just the world number one by miles, and an active one at that, I see no political advantage to kicking him out. It would not be clever and it would not be well-received.

2. As the match is not being played in the EU, who is or is not on an EU blacklist may not be considered pertinent. (There's a contrast to be made with the 1992 Fischer-Spassky match, where I believe the sanctions on the then Yugoslavia were imposed by the UN.) Moreover Norway, of which country Magnus Carlsen is a citizen, is not a member of the EU.

Comment

It doesn't much matter to me who FIDE has as an opponent for Anand in the WC match. I doubt Carlsen can defeat him a second time. Like in the old days when they had rematches and a challenger won the match but lost the rematch.

I read stuff like "Kirsan is next" but never a time frame. It's like those who stand on the corner with a sign reading "The World is Ending".
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X