Chess Talk (Canada) vs OzChess (Australia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Talk (Canada) vs OzChess (Australia)

[Event "International Chess Forums Tournament"]
    [Site "Internet"]
    [Date "2009.03.18"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "ChessTalk (Canada)"]
    [Black "OzChess (Australia)"]
    [Result "*"]

Chess Talk (Canada) to move first, move is due Wednesday evening USA time.
    OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
    http://www.ozchess.com

Re: Chess Talk (Canada) vs OzChess (Australia)

I assume computer assistance is allowed.

In any case, I vote for 1. c4

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Peristy View Post
      I assume computer assistance is allowed.

In any case, I vote for 1. c4
      I think that computer use would ruin the event. That said there's nothing stopping a player from consulting a computer to reach their preferred move and then voting for that move. However, I don't think it would be good for a player to publicly say something like "Shredder recommends 3.Nxf6+ followed by , etc.' , as that would influence everyone to play those lines.

This event is supposed to be between international chess forums, not Fritz vs Shredder, etc.

ps- Is 1. c4 your preferred move for both games, or just this one?
      OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News

Comment

I'll vote for 1 e4.

Comment

Do we have an " official " mover, who tabulates the vote, decides when to cut off the submissions, and then makes our move?

Bob

Comment

I would move to e4, as the first move.
            :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Do we have an " official " mover, who tabulates the vote, decides when to cut off the submissions, and then makes our move?

Bob
              No, so far I have just looked at the thread and tally the votes from there. On tiebreak, the vote of the person who has the most votes among the people who did vote, his move gets played. Looks like 1. e4 is the move this time.

However, this is really turning out to be a huge task for one person - myself - to manage. I would welcome help from anyone on this forum who could register an account on the other forums, and make the moves on behalf of Chess Talk in the corresponding threads.
              Last edited by Alex Toolsie; Wednesday, 18th March, 2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

[Event "International Chess Forums Tournament"]
                [Site "Internet"]
                [Date "2009.03.18"]
                [Round "1"]
                [White "ChessTalk (Canada)"]
                [Black "OzChess (Australia)"]
                [Result "*"]

1. e4

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Toolsie View Post
                  However, this is really turning out to be a huge task for one person - myself - to manage. I would welcome help from anyone on this forum who could register an account on the other forums, and make the moves on behalf of Chess Talk in the corresponding threads.
                  Hi Toolsie,

You should have thought about that BEFORE you started 4 games. You didn't lay out the rules before you started. You didn't tell the players it's teams and a voting system. You didn't tell them it could run months. What's the time limit and vacation allocation?

Now after move 1 you're looking for an out. Don't you Aussies have any staying power?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Why not put these games in a seperate forum? We already have "Chesstalk" and "Parlons échecs" - we could add "Games" (or something like that). I'm afraid that the main board could get cluttered with these online games threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Why not put these games in a seperate forum? We already have "Chesstalk" and "Parlons échecs" - we could add "Games" (or something like that). I'm afraid that the main board could get cluttered with these online games threads.
                      I don't know what would be best. The team games I've seen over the years have quite a bit of moderator involvement. Setting up the game, collecting the moves and transmitting them. In this case, I don't know if the moderator was even asked.

Some countries take these kind of matches seriously.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

bah I would have played with gusto with 1.f4! for the win :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          You should have thought about that BEFORE you started 4 games.
                          Probably.

You didn't lay out the rules before you started.
                          Rules of chess differ between countries? News to me. Getting everyone on board and organizing and commencing this kind of event is no small task. It would have been impossible to plan out every single detail.

What's the time limit and vacation allocation?
                          Simply to make the move on the nominated day, thats the time limit. Why should there be a vacation allowance?

Now after move 1 you're looking for an out.
                          This is silly. There is no out, offers of help have come from the German forum and the Bahrain forum. Basically they have agreed to post their moves on the other forums.

It would be welcome if a member of this forum would do likewise. Many hands make light work.

Best Regards,

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Toolsie View Post
                            This is silly. There is no out, offers of help have come from the German forum and the Bahrain forum. Basically they have agreed to post their moves on the other forums.

It would be welcome if a member of this forum would do likewise. Many hands make light work.

Best Regards,

Alex
                            In this country if you want something done you either do it yourself or pay someone to do it.

Like you say, "There is no out". It was your idea. Do it yourself. :)
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              In this country if you want something done you either do it yourself or pay someone to do it.

Like you say, "There is no out". It was your idea. Do it yourself.
                              :)
                              I don't think you speak for everyone mate. The fact you are unhelpful does not mean every Canadian is. I will, however, do it until someone volunteers to assist.

Best Regards,

Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X