In May 2008, I made the following comment on CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: religious faith required for neo-liberal views

I wasn't "trying" anything - merely wanting to understand what this point of view is - seeing microeconomic analysis (what you call market idolatry) as a religion. Throwing in terms like 'idolatry' doesn't make it so. Saying "no proof" doesn't make it so.

Even casting it as false economics is different than casting it as religion. Casting it as religion is akin to an attack when you don't have actual evidence to make your claim.

I'm not supporting right wing or left wing; not supporting market economies or non-market economies here (although I prefer my economics from economists, not geographers). But one should spend time studying microeconomics before actually condemning it to religious status.

Comment

Romero: I believe in that premise as a matter of religious faith.

Originally posted by Jeff Verman View Post
      I wasn't "trying" anything - merely wanting to understand what this point of view is - seeing microeconomic analysis (what you call market idolatry) as a religion. Throwing in terms like 'idolatry' doesn't make it so. Saying "no proof" doesn't make it so.
      It's amusing then, that you refer to "regimes (that) practice this alleged "neo-liberalism" " with the scare quotes. Why "alleged" and why the scare quotes if you are "trying to understand" what it is? Wouldn't you make up your mind after you've understood things rather than before you have?

Like I said, nice try. Neo-liberalism is at least as old as the military and torture regime of Augusto Pinochet in Chile that brought in Chicago School economic fundamentalists to establish the "freedom for prices" while Chileans languished in jails or were tortured in football stadiums. Economist Michel Chudovssky wrote a great essay about the horrors of that regime, and the Economists that prostituted themselves, in a book of his well worth reading.

Even casting it as false economics is different than casting it as religion. Casting it as religion is akin to an attack when you don't have actual evidence to make your claim.

I'm not supporting right wing or left wing; not supporting market economies or non-market economies here (although I prefer my economics from economists, not geographers). But one should spend time studying microeconomics before actually condemning it to religious status.
      I've just given you a quote from the head of major business school in the US, who was involved with the imposition of neo-liberal ideas in public utilities, and you are looking the other way. Try to look at the evidence even if you don't like it.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Romero: I believe in that premise as a matter of religious faith.

You're very hard for me to follow! But I will try to respond to your questions where I can.

1) You refer to very diverse governments and call them all "neo-liberal" governments. They seem very different to me - even Harper vs. Obama - yet you have given them one label.

2) Quotes aren't for scaring. I use them either to quote - or to point out the label isn't one I'd use without obvious reason. I don't see you've defined "neo-liberalism" or distinguished it from liberalism for that matter.

3) I'm trying to understand you before I can either agree or disagree with you. I owe anyone that.

4) I don't understand your Chile point or see its relevance to this discussion.

5) Romero - googling him he is a professor of business administration at the University of Oregon - is this your major business school? He has served under Republican Pete Wilson in California as the state's Chief Economist. I recall Pete Wilson a bit; but never had heard of this Romero person and the University of Oregon isn't on my radar.

6) Microeconomic is a discipline. It makes no religious assumptions. You need to have a decent amount of calculus to actually take an advanced course in it. It's been a very long time for me, but I'm pretty sure there was absolutely no religious indoctrination on having to believe this or that about anything in terms of the type of government best for ruling.

7) I'm just guessing you're talking about a conservative movement, particularly found in the US where non-economists preached a market economy as moral imperative, rather than an outcome of sound economic analysis. Is this what you're trying to describe? If so, let me just say few, if any serious economists - even strong supporters of market economies - would take this kind of stuff seriously. This doesn't show, though, anything wrong with free market economics - it shows only that some people are strange. Is this what you're getting at, though? What has this to do with the governments you listed? Obama doesn't buy into such nonsense; nor Harper.

8) Last thought: privatization has worked well sometimes; sometimes not. It depends on how it's managed. Air Canada is better, surely as a private company than as a government entity?

Comment

Ok, that's better. Let me see if I can reply.

1. Shared premises. What we see in Canada, for instance, is that all of the major parties in Parliament (Conservative, NDP, and Liberal) share the same kool-aid; accumulation by dispossession in general, by means of privatization or transferring property from public ownership to private ownership (literally robbing the public so that private interests may feast); by financialization and such techniques as asset stripping, ponzi schemes, asset destruction through inflation, etc.; by the management and manipulation of crises (the horrific destruction of the public school system in New Orleans in the aftermath of the terrible hurricane there was a well-documented example in which the Machiavellian idea of inflicting terrible injuries all at once on the public, so ordinary people would be overwhelmed and unable to fight back, etc. ); and by the redistribution of wealth such as a tax system that profits returns on investment rather than income and wages, and benefits the wealthy and the super-rich while impoverishment accelerates for the rest of the population ...

4. Chile. This was the "experiment" in neo-liberalism through the barrel of a gun in South America. The original 9-11.

Neo-liberalism is war by the rich on the poor, "class war" from above, and in this regard all the regimes carry this policy out, many with gloating enthusiasm. It has been carried out for several decades now, with great success; mass impoverishment alongside fabulous riches for the 1%, and all the benefits of cruel austerity.

see also Review of A Brief History of Neoliberalism It will save you having to read the whole book.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 4th July, 2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

1. There has been a history of referring to a group of conservatives primarily in the United States as "neocons." As far as I can see you're using the term "neo-liberals" in exactly the same way. You mean it to be derogatory; but it amounts to a bunch of loose, unsubstantiated accusations that have nothing to do with each other.

2. I don't believe you think that Ponzi schemes are a result of privatization. I don't believe you think and major party in Canada or the US support Ponzi schemes.

3. A war on inflation has been fought, pretty successfully, in North America now for several decades. I remember the days of higher inflation here and surely uncontrolled inflation is a bad thing. Not at all sure what you're trying to say about inflation.

4. Air Canada as a crown corporation. It was poorly run. It was particularly difficult for private airlines to start up in Canada, being unable to compete with an entity with nearly unlimited funds. The result was a near monopoly and consumers being forced to pay very high prices. Do you want it to be publically owned again? I'm simply not following you.

5. Don't know anything about public schools in New Orleans. Can't comment.

6. I've read Machiavelli. I don't recall reading those claims you've made about him. I should also stress there is a context for what he is writing about and to whom he is writing for.

7. Chile was a 9-11? Hard to believe I don't know about this. Some interesting wine is coming from Chile these days. It's a big growth industry there.

8. Our tax system certain redistributes wealth. Who would deny this? The rich are at higher tax rates. Capital gains may well be taxed at a lower rate than interest income - but this depends on what personal tax rate you are at. By and large in Canada, our taxes pay for government through redistribution of wealth. The wealthier people pay at higher tax rates; the wealthier provinces see net transfers out to poorer ones. You're against this? I'm still not following you.

9. I will read the excerpt you've linked to. I'd suggest, in return, you spend some guided time studying serious Microeconomic analysis, without casting judgment until you've achieved a strong understanding. Arguments are not won through innuendo or asides. Points aren't made by throwing vague terms around and hoping something sticks. Whether Marxist or capitalist - careful, reasoned discussion can get you progress. If you wish to argue against a position, you must first make that position as strong as it can be, before you take it apart.

Comment

It's obvious to me that you're not treating the term with the seriousness that it deserves and are being disingenuous about your understanding of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                It's obvious to me that you're not treating the term with the seriousness that it deserves and are being disingenuous about your understanding of it.
                I understand and respect that you feel that way and I'm sorry you feel that way. But there is no greater respect than in the demand for clarity. Without clarity, we can not achieve understanding, truth, or even wisdom. Throughout this thread you've continued to throw out terms, and bunched many unrelated ideas into single paragraphs. This makes it a challenge to engage in conversation.

Comment

4. Air Canada as a crown corporation. It was poorly run. It was particularly difficult for private airlines to start up in Canada, being unable to compete with an entity with nearly unlimited funds. The result was a near monopoly and consumers being forced to pay very high prices. Do you want it to be publically owned again? I'm simply not following you.
                  The government ties aren't completely cut. They got what amounted to a bailout last year. Had to do with their pension plan deficit. The government cut them a huge break.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1128...tions-attached

I bought stock in that company for between around a buck and a half down to around 90 cents. I thought it was going to go under a couple of times. Then along came that agreement. However, it's doing quite nicely although I've trimmed at lower prices. I don't buy airline stocks. I rent them.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

One bit of clarity then: I know what neo-cons are and I'm not conflating them with the practices and ideology of neo-liberalism.

Washington is currently awash with the neo-cons when it comes to influence on US foreign policy; one commentator remarked that their views can be summarized as follows, "What we cannot own, we will destroy." We have seen the destruction of Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, and now efforts to destroy Ukraine. Failed states as the result of US policy are everywhere. This is an aggressive, war-like foreign policy which is different from the economic gospel of market idolatry characteristic of neo-liberalism.
                    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 4th July, 2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

The government ties are completely cut. What you call a bailout isn't a bailout - it's an extension of terms for the underfunding of their pension issue. It basically gives them more time to eliminate this underfunding. Please recall this was something that developed out of the last bankruptcy protection proceedings.

That the government no longer owns AC doesn't mean they might not have to bail it out. Airlines around the world have faced extraordinary challenges and many have used bankruptcy protection to emerge as stronger companies.

Warren Buffet urges people to not invest in airlines........ but hoping you've done well.

Comment

Your one commentator, like some of your other commentators, likes painting vast pictures which leave out much reality and much detail. Again, clarity doesn't come with vast statements conflating a dozen of separate issues with very little in common. Clarity is in the details - for everything. Always.

You're upset about the "destruction" of Yugoslavia? Seriously? And you blame this on the US? Libya? Syria? Ukraine?

I'll give you Iraq - not that I don't think Saddam Hussein was guilty of crimes against humanity and war crimes. Afghanistan? It was a failed state well before US involvement - recall it as a failed stated with Soviet involvement actually.

Comment

The government did not likely want to see the airline in bankruptcy again. Sooner or later they would end up having to take it back in if people wouldn't throw money at the company.

You can also take the postal service. The decision to discontinue home mail delivery will likely cost the government ridings even though they try to distance themselves from that. This government has done the worst job with the postal system since confederation. If they can afford F-35's they can afford to deliver the mail. Failing a retraction of that policy I will switch and vote Liberal, as distasteful as I find that. I'm not the only one who feels that way either.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Arguments are not won through innuendo or asides. Points aren't made by throwing vague terms around and hoping something sticks. Whether Marxist or capitalist - careful, reasoned discussion can get you progress. If you wish to argue against a position, you must first make that position as strong as it can be, before you take it apart.
                            I told you once and I'll tell you again: that's not how it is on ChessTalk. And it will never be that way on ChessTalk.

You will fail miserably to make any debate here take such a logical path. The thin veneer of civilization, almost inconsequential as it is outside of ChessTalk, doesn't even exist here. The MODERATOR is the worst offender, doesn't that tell you anything? Never in a million years would you have him studying anything such as microeconomic analysis without casting judgement. The very idea is preposterous here.

What exactly are you trying to achieve by discoursing with this person? Are you trying to get your son to see how chessplayers 'reason', and turn him off the game? In that you might be successful.
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Warren Buffet urges people to not invest in airlines........ but hoping you've done well.
                              By the way, whom would you sooner trust? Me or Warren Buffet.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

1. There has been a history of referring to a group of conservatives primarily in the United States as "neocons." As far as I can see you're using the term "neo-liberals" in exactly the same way. You mean it to be derogatory; but it amounts to a bunch of loose, unsubstantiated accusations that have nothing to do with each other.
                                you're new here, or at least your "join date" suggests so, but there was a thread a few years ago with the poster denigrating neo-cons. Just as Nigel refers to certain regimes and people as "neo-liberals" and hence "bad", the poster in that case referred to many of the same people Nigel calls "neo-liberal" as "neo-cons" (but the "bad" part was the same :-) ).

Ultimately the poster retreated when he was unable to provide a consistent definition of "neo-con".

I thought you might enjoy the thread as counter point but alas my search capabilities are unable to unearth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X