Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Presidency

CFC Presidency - Message to Governors.

Dear Governors, CFC Members and lovers of chess.

Please accept this post as confirmation that I will be running for the CFC Presidency in the upcoming election.

As many of you know I am very discouraged by the direction the CFC has taken in recent years. I never thought I would run for CFC President, but given the current plight of chess in Canada, Nava Starr, my wife, 8 times Canadian Chess Champion, executive with the mid-size Toronto company, and I have decided to try and make positive change for the CFC by dedicating both our personal time and financial resources to bringing about positive change.

The CFC today is a slowly dying organization that desperately needs several new ideas and initiatives to grow and become more vital than ever. Its greatest weakness is that it never seems to do anything new. Its greatest strength is that among the community it has several dedicated and long serving professionals who could adopt a new vision and make the CFC a new and vibrant organization.

There are a lot of new initiatives that should have been adopted by CFC, however the present leadership was busy with the Non Profit Corporation Act and the endorsement of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. The endorsement of Ilyumzhinov took place in spite of the fact that in the Chess Talk poll put up by Mr. Drkulec showed only 1 vote for Ilyumzhinov against nearly 30 for Kasparov. Executives have failed even to explain how and why this endorsement ever has happened other than to criticize supporters of Mr. Kasparov. The non-executive Governors’ vote was about split, so it is possible that CFC could vote for Kirsan at the end of the day, but an endorsement? That could happened only because CFC is run by the old boys’ network, who stripped away all the powers away from the Governors, who in spite of all the work they do lost all of their powers, except for voting once a year at the AGM.

As a part of my program I’d like to offer the following:
    • Give the power back to Governors/voting members. They are a back bone of our organization. I’d like to see them highly motivated and have personal goals and plans.
    • Increased membership/participation. Over the past 15 years the CFC has experienced a steep decline in membership. In its most general sense, the CFC has never gotten it right in terms of implementing effective membership drives or staging events that are conducive towards attracting high levels of participation. While the CFC membership has fallen, the participation in many other federations has risen drastically. In Turkey, for example, the federation grew to having 80,000 adult members. This explosive growth was largely attributable to the fact that the Turkish Federation established a relationship with a bank in which anyone who became a member of the federation received a free bank account. The bank account/federation membership drive in Turkey is a wonderful example of a win/win corporate partnership and there's no reason a similar initiative couldn't occur in Canada. The Turkish initiative proves that Canada need not re-invent the wheel in terms of implementing effective membership growth programs. The Presidents/Executive Directors of a large number of federations will be surveyed to determine which membership initiatives worked best in their nations and a concrete plan will be implemented to achieve the objective of increased growth. Goal: Increasing Membership to 5,000 members by September 1, 2015.
    Aside from soliciting other ideas, this will be achieved by the following actions:
    • Establishing an educational membership, and sending direct solicitation on this, whereby every school and library may obtain a special membership to allow on-site access by their interested members
    • Duplicating what amateur pool associations have done (250,000 members in Canada), by offering a grass roots restaurant/bar league, whereby patrons can sign up for a nominal membership charge and play a game, which is part of a ladder tournament, with donated corporate prizes at the end of the yearly league
    • Reaching out to all historical inactive members with a special discount offer, along with a personal letter from the CFC President indicating our goals to earn back respect for chess in Canada
    • Discussion/negotiation with all other entities running rating systems (mostly for kids, e.g., Chess & Math, etc.), to attempt working out a fair deal to have their members as CFC members, and we provide the rating management/output for this
    • Hold events (meet the master, simultaneous, demonstration) in shopping malls to promote chess, with an active membership recruitment element
    • Youth Membership. Never before has the participation levels in scholastic and youth events been higher in Canada. Chess is currently considered a very popular activity for parents seeking to enroll children in programs/events. Aside from the initiatives of the Chess and Math Association, there have been other highly successful chess programs aimed at kids that have enjoyed enormous success. In Kitchener the Chess-For-Kids program has had several thousand kids register since inception and is run as a for profit business. Even in a small province such as New Brunswick there were nearly 400 kids that participated in the provincial scholastic championships in May. There has been no CFC presence at any of these activities, and not only should the CFC establish an attractive program of its own, but it also should establish co-operative relationships with existing programs aimed at increasing youth membership.
    • Much more effective use of the chess events. The standard swiss-system weekend events in Canada have not been customized to attract high levels of participation. Most require a two night stay over for travelers, and are run on schedules that are demanding for both travelers and host city participants. I have remedies available. Some of them are revamping the way swiss tournaments are being run, for example, Curling and Bridge events, which often attract thousands of participants, have a build in social component. Certain pockets of the country, such as Quebec and Ottawa have been fairly constant in terms of offering a full calendar of events each year, but in much of the country there aren't many events to play in.
    • The establishment of the Grand Prix system. Starting with the densely populated Quebec-Windsor corridor, CFC should establish an annual Grand Prix of attractive chess events. The Grand Prix should have an attractive website, and consistently high standards in terms of game display, live and online. There would be corporate sponsors to ensure the events are executed at a high level and attractive to all of Canada's top players.
    • Patronage. Each year the Olympiad Team faces challenges generating the revenues necessary to participate in the Olympiad and each Olympiad members and patrons are called upon to support the team. In the case of the Olympiad team, patrons don't see any long term benefit from their contributions.... they give money, it is spent and there is no enduring benefit to the team. All donations to the Olympiad team, for example, should have 50% of the donation go towards the current team and 50% go towards an ongoing trust fund that supports all future Olympiad teams. Also, there are clauses with federal tax law that make it extremely attractive for chess players who die to include donations to charitable organizations in their wills....often with 100% of the donated amount going back to the estate of the donor. The CFC has never properly explored this channel of funding. And finally: a program of aggressive corporate sponsorship in Canada a renewed focus on chess in schools that would include the help of the Kasparov Chess Foundation, facilitation of corporate and individual sponsorship in Canadian chess. Any new initiatives will be financed by the new revenue and/or donations, the present balance sheet and the assets will be preserved and prudently managed.

I’m offering you an opportunity to start building a new, exciting organization. The CFC is due for a change, and it must start from the top.
    I love chess, and although very busy, I am announcing my intention to be your President. I’m encouraging any voting member who wishes to know more to contact me at alexander.starr@gmail.com
    Let’s do it together!

Sasha Starr
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; Wednesday, 2nd July, 2014, 12:01 AM.

Re: CFC Presidency

Some questions
    (1)What is the current financial state of the CFC?
    (2)What is the strategic plan of the CFC?
    (3)What are your budgetary assumptions for the next operating cycle?
    (4)What is the discretionary budget you are assuming for all things you are proposing?
    (5)What are your chess/organizational accomplishments in the last couple of years say?

And how will you be a decent president if you are already very busy?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
      CFC Presidency - Message to Governors.

Dear Governors, CFC Members and lovers of chess.

Please accept this post as confirmation that I will be running for the CFC Presidency in the upcoming election.

etc...

Sasha, let me be the first to commend you on this move. Whether or not you succeed, you are showing genuine concern for the state of chess in Canada. No one, and that includes the vanguard of the old boys' network Steve Douglas, should disrespect you for wanting to better the current dismal state.

You are running against someone who first of all says he'd very much like to get away from the CFC President position and go back to his kids in Windsor. I think you should use that against him. Whoever is to be CFC President should WANT to be CFC President and should WANT to tackle the serious challenges. But I don't see Vlad stepping aside to let you take the position, which means everything he wrote is just hot air (oh, the fun of puns.... Vlad Drkulec... hot air.... Anthropogenic Global Warming.... it's too much!)

But second of all, you are running against someone who is anything but transparent as he claims to be or at least to want to be.

Example: for the past several days, Sid Belzberg has had an offer on the table for Vlad to consider. Publicly posted here on ChessTalk. The response from Vlad on ChessTalk: absolute silence, until he just posted yesterday something about claims that FIDE supported Russia's annexation of Crimea are false, and so Vlad hasn't changed his stance. This is according to emails and tweets from FIDE officials. Well, duh! Charles Manson is probably still maintaining his innocence too!

But let's forget about FIDE and Russia for a moment, let's focus in on Sid's offer. As Kerry Liles posted, Sid was more than magnanimous in trying to set aside all the insults Vlad had sent his way and just make something work between them. Sid showed that he can be forgiving and extend an offer in the pursuit of what is best for Canadian chess. But here's the key: Sid wrote that Vlad could contact a few people, a certain Michael K and even Garry Kasparov himself, if Vlad wanted corroboration or evidence on the FIDE / Crimea claim.

Did Vlad ever contact Michael K or Garry Kasparov? WE DO NOT KNOW. Vlad has remained steadfastly silent until he comes out with the stuff about FIDE tweets / emails. So for evidence that FIDE has not supported Putin, Vlad relies on... FIDE. And while the whole readership of ChessTalk, many of whom are paying CFC members, waits to find out if Vlad contacted Micheal K or Garry Kasparov to hear out the other side, Vlad has nothing to say on that at all. Nothing. Thanks for the "transparency", Vlad!

I really can't imagine Vlad being any more obnoxious. Sasha, I hope you rub his nose in it. He can go back to his Windsor kids and sing "I Did It My Way" to them... maybe one of them will kick him in the shin and wake him up from his reverie.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Great post! Paul

.....from the other Vlad D
        (actually, the original Vlad D)

Comment

Thank you very much for your questions, Michael,
          At the present I have same knowledge about current financial state of the CFC, its strategic plan etc., as you.
          My chess/organizational accomplishments will be better discussed a year from now!
          As per my time - I'm in the private business and have means to allocate the time required.
          You are welcomed to send me an email, I may have something to discuss with you.
          Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Great post! Paul

.....from the other Vlad D
            (actually, the original Vlad D)
            Thank you, Vlad, its about time to wake up and smell roses!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              Sasha, let me be the first to commend you on this move. Whether or not you succeed, you are showing genuine concern for the state of chess in Canada. No one, and that includes the vanguard of the old boys' network Steve Douglas, should disrespect you for wanting to better the current dismal state.

You are running against someone who first of all says he'd very much like to get away from the CFC President position and go back to his kids in Windsor. I think you should use that against him. Whoever is to be CFC President should WANT to be CFC President and should WANT to tackle the serious challenges. But I don't see Vlad stepping aside to let you take the position, which means everything he wrote is just hot air (oh, the fun of puns.... Vlad Drkulec... hot air.... Anthropogenic Global Warming.... it's too much!)

But second of all, you are running against someone who is anything but transparent as he claims to be or at least to want to be.

Example: for the past several days, Sid Belzberg has had an offer on the table for Vlad to consider. Publicly posted here on ChessTalk. The response from Vlad on ChessTalk: absolute silence, until he just posted yesterday something about claims that FIDE supported Russia's annexation of Crimea are false, and so Vlad hasn't changed his stance. This is according to emails and tweets from FIDE officials. Well, duh! Charles Manson is probably still maintaining his innocence too!

But let's forget about FIDE and Russia for a moment, let's focus in on Sid's offer. As Kerry Liles posted, Sid was more than magnanimous in trying to set aside all the insults Vlad had sent his way and just make something work between them. Sid showed that he can be forgiving and extend an offer in the pursuit of what is best for Canadian chess. But here's the key: Sid wrote that Vlad could contact a few people, a certain Michael K and even Garry Kasparov himself, if Vlad wanted corroboration or evidence on the FIDE / Crimea claim.

Did Vlad ever contact Michael K or Garry Kasparov? WE DO NOT KNOW. Vlad has remained steadfastly silent until he comes out with the stuff about FIDE tweets / emails. So for evidence that FIDE has not supported Putin, Vlad relies on... FIDE. And while the whole readership of ChessTalk, many of whom are paying CFC members, waits to find out if Vlad contacted Micheal K or Garry Kasparov to hear out the other side, Vlad has nothing to say on that at all. Nothing. Thanks for the "transparency", Vlad!

I really can't imagine Vlad being any more obnoxious. Sasha, I hope you rub his nose in it. He can go back to his Windsor kids and sing "I Did It My Way" to them... maybe one of them will kick him in the shin and wake him up from his reverie.
              Thank you for your post, Paul!
              I'm very much concerned with the direction CFC is heading. Membership is steadily shrinking, a big patron of Canadian chess is being chased away, no explanation was ever given to the CFC's endorsement of Ilyumzhinov, so we are all hostages to a small group of people pretending to know what's best for Canadian chess!

Comment

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for your suggestions and your willingness to run for the CFC presidency. I totally agreed with your proposals with the main aim of promoting chess in Canada and to increase the membership of CFC. We have a couple of World champions the recent one Harmony Zhu and a couple of North American Champions at the recently concluded Tarrytown. We should use these opportunities to popularize this " sport " recognized by the IOC to the general public which I think is a huge market. Sad to say, we have less than 2000 current members. I am really encouraged by this event and wish you all the best in the election.

I really hope whoever wins should really work towards the objective of making CHESS a popular sport in whole Canada.

By the way, do the CFC members have the voting rights ?

Comment

'My chess/organizational accomplishments will be better discussed a year from now!'

I am trying to see what qualifications you have for the job. So your recent accomplishments would be better revealed now :), unless you are relying on your charm.

Comment

What will you bring as your team (especially for the Execs)?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      What will you bring as your team (especially for the Execs)?
                      Egis,
                      Unlike FIDE, CFC elections are individual for every Exec position.
                      But please be assured - all healthy forces in CFC are concerned with the direction the current management is leading, and will support proposed reforms.
                      In particular, I'm seriously considering joining the Executive team.
                      Would you like to be a part of Executive team as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Barron View Post
                        Egis,
                        But please be assured - all healthy forces in CFC are concerned with the direction the current management is leading, and will support proposed reforms.
                        That is clear to me regarding the elections. With the grandiose plan (5000 members considering the same members' definition as now) Sasha Star will need a good team to accomplish that.

Personally I will not seek any Exec position at the CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          That is clear to me regarding the elections. With the grandiose plan (5000 members considering the same members' definition as now) Sasha Star will need a good team to accomplish that.

Personally I will not seek any Exec position at the CFC.
                          Thank you, Egis, for taking your time to comment on my thread. 5000 members? It is just a beginning!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
                            'My chess/organizational accomplishments will be better discussed a year from now!'

I am trying to see what qualifications you have for the job. So your recent accomplishments would be better revealed now :), unless you are relying on your charm.
                            My chess/organizational accomplishments include executive positions in private and public companies, the latter include Director of the Grandmaster Technologies Inc., the others were GM Yasser Seirawan and GM Duncan Suttles. Together with my wife IWM Nava Starr I was one of the organizers of the charity event in Toronto for GM Gary Kasparov, I personally know many chess personalities in Canada and around the Globe. Most importantly, I know how the chess is organized in many different countries, and in many of them chess has a very prestigious place in the society, and I have a vision how to make a progress in Canada.
                            There are many sceptics, and if they'll prevail, we'll continue to have what we have...
                            I want Chess in Canada not just to survive, but to succeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Barron View Post
                              Egis,
                              Thank you, Michael! Here is a support we are getting from Quebec:

Mr Sasha Starr,

My name is Marcel Laurin and I am a CFC lifemember, # 100337.

I play regularly in chess tournaments in Ontario (Ottawa area) and in Quebec (Trois-Rivières, Montréal, Outaouais).

I am since the 80's a chess organizer, a Tournament Director and actually the President of the Ligue d'Échecs de l'Outaouais.

I am also writing chess reports: Chess Canada # 59 page 39, En Passant # 75 page 13, some news about me En Passant #87 page 12, CFC Newsletter July 2013 and some other related articles in March and April 2014. I am also writing articles in almost every FQE Échec magazine since three years.

I am the organizer of the Gatineau Open, an EOCA Grand Prix event and the TORO, tournament # 9 of the Tour du Québec.

You will have to visit our site at www.matoutaouais.org to learn about the success of a chess League, the LEO. In three years, we transformed a 37 members weak organization with one club (CEH in Hull) in 137 active members with three chess clubs (CEA in Aylmer and CEG in Gatineau). We are now teaching chess in more than10 schools with competent chess instructors (FQE diploma), are in different chess promotions all year long and we have great support of independant sponsors and of the City of Gatineau. Today, parents want their kids to learn to play chess and we are taking that opportunity in offering our services appropriately. This year, we will open two more chess clubs in September for that purpose one in Buckingam sector of Gatineau and one more in Hull dedicated for beginners.

The CFC needs dedicated people like you with a vision for correcting the ''laisser-aller'' of the last ten years. It is a huge and urge problem and you will have to take drastic decisions to rebuilt the health of the organization in giving that missing or disappeared confidence of his members across Canada and recreating the not so far pride of being a CFC member.

You enumerate a lot of good solutions, you have that creativity, the energy and the will for correcting the situation and with a strong team work of your Governors, you can succeed !

The CFC needs you ! You are the man for that job ! Good luck !

Marcel Laurin,

President of the Outaouais Chess League

Animations GRATUITES pour vos emails

Cliquez ici !

Comment

Working...
                              X