• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Presidency - The Brief Edition

Hello CFC President Candidates,

Could you please post a brief platform?
    • Under 400 words would be appreciated
    • Bullet points would be easy on the eyes
    • Please take a moment to highlight your own strength and contrast yourself from the other candidates.

Thank you very much.

Re: CFC Presidency - The Brief Edition
    • Incumbent CFC president, main author of the CFC long term strategic plan, previously CFC masters representative for two years.
    • Chess organizer, volunteer and instructor in Windsor largely interested in junior chess.
    • On a per capita basis Windsor has the highest junior participation rate of any city in Canada in CYCC, WYCC and NAYCC. While I can’t take full credit for this as John Coleman, Frank Lee, Zoltan Kiraly and Istvan Kiraly along with the many Windsor parents contribute a great deal to this record most of the kids who attend these tournaments started with my chess class and many of them still attend my classes regularly.
    • Along with Frank Lee and Pierre Denomme formed the second NFP act committee.
    • In my first term I have been concerned with the transition to the new NFP act and was able to bring the CFC governors to a consensus which allowed the CFC to become compliant and survive as a non-profit in Canada beyond October 17th.
    • I have been CFC president who has been the most focused on Junior Chess in recent memory as that is where the future adult members will come from.
    • I have given the most media interviews of any recent CFC president ranging in topics from Windsor and Canadian youth chess, the world chess championship and the FIDE election.
    • A proven record of working with the governors and now the voting members to achieve consensus and to articulate, logically my reasoning on each of the issues that I have been faced with.
    • A record of transparency and willingness to explain and defend publicly all of my decisions.
    • I ask the voting members for their support and I ask those who have been noticed the change for the better in the CFC to express their support for the direction that I hope to continue to take the CFC.
    • It is difficult to contrast myself with Mr. Starr as I do not know very much about him. He has not been involved in chess organization in the last seven years since I have returned to playing chess as far as I know.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 2nd July, 2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Vlad, now that you've got the NFP stuff behind you (which I think is a major accomplishment). Could you list one or two goals (or projects) that you would like to work on in the next year. Not so much motherhood issues but what things do you think will be consuming your time if you are re-elected. What are the hard and important task that you will focus on.

Comment

I think you could have left out the final sentence ("He appears to have some anger management issues.") in an otherwise useful post.
        The CFC will not be well served by continuous mud-slinging. Someone has to stop slinging the mud first.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

...to articulate, logically my reasoning on each of the issues that I have been faced with.
          • A record of transparency and willingness to explain and defend publicly all of my decisions.
          And you failed to articulate logically your reasoning on an issue of Ilyumzhinov's endorsement.
          There is no record of transparency and willingness to explain and defend publicly all of your decisions. Here is what you've written earlier today: "I need to get agreement from the executive on what to include and what to leave out." TO LEAVE OUT? Is that transparency and willingness etc. or what?
          Last edited by Sasha Starr; Wednesday, 2nd July, 2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I think you could have left out the final sentence ("He appears to have some anger management issues.") in an otherwise useful post.
            The CFC will not be well served by continuous mud-slinging. Someone has to stop slinging the mud first.
            I have no problem with that. However there are several unanswered questions hanging up in the air, as you know...

Comment

Tony, I've already published so many posts, that another one will be lost here...
              I'll do it, however in the meantime you can browse at my first post (announcement). Sorry for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                Vlad, now that you've got the NFP stuff behind you (which I think is a major accomplishment). Could you list one or two goals (or projects) that you would like to work on in the next year. Not so much motherhood issues but what things do you think will be consuming your time if you are re-elected. What are the hard and important task that you will focus on.
                Extending the CFC-FQE agreement will be an important task.
                Working with Bob Gillanders to get the CFC office working effectively again though Bob has already done much of that just by showing up.
                I suspect that finishing the transition of new bylaws will consume much of my and the voting members time.
                Working with the CMA where we can to help popularize chess. I am sure that Larry and I will have some discussions in Montreal at CYCC/CO.
                GM/IM norm tournaments for our young and old players.
                CYCC, WYCC, NAYCC and to a lesser extent the Pan Ams will keep me busy at times.
                I will also have to work on encouraging more visible initiatives like what was done at Harbourfront in Toronto on June 15th by Ted Winick and his helpers.
                I will also have to develop some initiatives which will help promote interest from the everyday class players. At the moment I am not quite sure of the form that will take.

Of course all of these will have to be accomplished within the fiscal realities of the CFC and also the reality that my time is limited.
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 2nd July, 2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I considered running for CFC President myself and not just to get an endorsement for my friend Gary. I have a long track record of donating generously to the CFC without expecting anything in return. I simply love chess and in my case it was a very positive life changer for me.
                  I decided not to run for the CFC President as I have several other commitments that I am responsible for. I have known Sasha and Nava for over 30 years and they are good and honourable people. Sasha has been involved in several interesting business ventures and is very good at getting deals done. When he called me about 10 days ago asking for advice I told him that he is very likeable but he needs someone to help him with a solid background in administration, accounting, and finance.

As he said in the announcement he is working together with Nava and I have every confidence that the administration and accounting will go smoothly with her involvement. Obviously the in coming executive will be involved in this as well as they should, as a team.

The other advice I gave Sasha was to stress that preservation of the balance sheet of the CFC is essential and that any new expenses must be accretive, that is they are covered by corporate sponsorship or new revenues. Sasha alludes to this in the last part of his announcement but the above is a bit more precise.

With the help of the Kasparov Chess foundation and myself I have every confidence that we can succeed in the goals and the programs outlined above. I plan to discuss with Sasha if he is elected ideas abut completely revamping the chess.ca website to make it a truly exciting place for young chess players to go to from all over Canada and perhaps even make chess.ca an exciting place to visit for chess players (especially young players) world wide! For example the Kasparov Chess Foundation is setting up organizations around the world. Imagine kids in classrooms being able to compete in international tournaments hosted by chess.ca. My background is in creating truly great and leading edge technology so I believe i can be of help in this area.

Gary is one of the truly great promoters of chess in the world and he lives next door to us. I am sure we can get him to help promote chess in Canada and restore excitement in this game.

An endorsement for Gary by Canada will have to be in agreement with the executive.

The CFC missed a huge opportunity recently in turning down my offer of my reinvolvement in the chess scene. I fully endorse Sasha and will pledge to help out when and where I can if he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    • I have been CFC president who has been the most focused on Junior Chess in recent memory as that is where the future adult members will come from.
                    Vlad,
                    Are you willing to explain and defend publicly your decisions to select your private students as official Canadian representatives instead of qualified players from outside of Windsor?

Thank you in advance for explanation!

Comment

I apologize if I am speaking out of context/turn, as I haven't read the majority of posts regarding this subject. My comment is that this reminds me of another situation in the CFC in the 1970s when Frank Szarka (Chess Chat) offered the CFC to provide a national magazine at no cost to the CFC (assuming they provided the ratings to publish), yet it was unbelievably turned down, as, from what I understood at the time, that this generous offer seemed suspicious....as typical chessplayers, the worst was assumed...having worked with Frank at that time, I can assert this was genuine and a lost opportunity. Mr. Belzberg and Mr. Starr are also genuine and offering much more...hopefully history will not repeat.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X