Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Presidential Endorsements By Incoming CFC Voting Members

Posted today on the CFC Members' Chess Chat Forum:

We have two declared candidates so far for CFC President for the upcoming election next week: the incumbent, Vlad Drkulec; the incoming voting member, Sasha Starr.

Both have now presented platforms to the incoming voting members, and the non-voting members, and the public.

In campaigning, it is valuable to be able to publish valuable "endorsements" from known persons. I think it is valuable to both Vlad and Sasha in this situation.

The incoming voting members are the key to the Presidential election result. They have the vote. Now they can remain publicly non-committal, and privately vote in the election, and no one will know which candidate they voted for. Nothing wrong with this.

But if an incoming voting member already knows for whom s/he is going to vote, then why not help get their candidate elected? A public endorsement prior to the vote is a significant contribution to the Candidate's campaigning, and could swing more votes his way, because of your endorsement publicly.

So incoming voting members, it is your choice.

I am asking that incoming voting members help their Candidate's campaign, and post publicly in this thread, their endorsement!

Bob A (not an incoming voting member)

It was suggested that I transform my original post on this, into a poll format, which I have now done. The poll will only run to the start of the CFC Voting Members' AGM's. It is a public poll, where all results can be seen by anyone, in line with the whole intent of this post to have public endorsements made.

Note that this poll is only for incoming voting members. I will start polls for both CFC Non-Voting Members, and the non-CFC member public.

Bob A
    I endorse Sasha Starr
    40.00%
    I endorse Vlad Drkulec
    30.00%
    I will vote privately
    30.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 2nd July, 2014, 10:43 PM.

Vlad Dobrich

Hi Vlad Dobrich:

I see you voted in this Incoming Voting Members poll. But I think you failed to see that there are three polls, one for each constituency in a sense: CFC Voting Members; CFC Non-Voting Members (non-governor CFC members); and the public.

You are not a CFC member (Expired: 2008-11-01). So you cannot be a CFC Incoming Member for GTCL/Ont.

So you really should go make your endorsement in the Public Poll (it really doesn't matter much that you also voted here; I do not know how a voter retracts his vote on CT, if that is possible).

Thanks.

Bob (Polls Instigator)

Comment

Re: Vlad Dobrich

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Hi Vlad Dobrich:

I see you voted in this Incoming Voting Members poll. But I think you failed to see that there are three polls, one for each constituency in a sense: CFC Voting Members; CFC Non-Voting Members (non-governor CFC members); and the public.

You are not a CFC member (Expired: 2008-11-01). So you cannot be a CFC Incoming Member for GTCL/Ont.

So you really should go make your endorsement in the Public Poll (it really doesn't matter much that you also voted here; I do not know how a voter retracts his vote on CT, if that is possible).

Thanks.

Bob (Polls Instigator)
      I think having multiple polls is confusing. You could have just had one poll and then separated out the results. I read your sig as polls investigator for a second there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        I think having multiple polls is confusing. You could have just had one poll and then separated out the results. I read your sig as polls investigator for a second there.
        Hi Vlad:

I had felt people knew what constituency here on CT they belonged to, and that they would read the headings. I found it difficult to determine how to put all the three polls together and somehow keep the vote totals separate. I thought this was easier and more efficient - can tell immediately how many endorsements from which constituency.

But CT'ers continue to amaze - already had to point out to two voters that they were in the wrong poll.

Oh well, everyone has a general idea which constituency many CT'ers belong to, and so hopefully they'll recognize the votes they should disregard.

Bob A

Comment

I thought about sitting on the sidelines but I can't let Sasha win the Vlad subsegment vote particularly since that other Vlad is not an incoming voting member and I am... So there. I endorse myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            I thought about sitting on the sidelines but I can't let Sasha win the Vlad subsegment vote particularly since that other Vlad is not an incoming voting member and I am... So there. I endorse myself.
            Hi Vlad:

I've asked the other Vlad D to vote in the proper forum. Unfortunately I cannot advise voters how to withdraw their vote on CT. So we'll all just have to keep in mind who the wrong-place voters are.

And good on you to vote for yourself. You are a CFC Incoming Voting Member, and can vote! And will have a vote in the AGM Election, too!

Bob A

Comment

Re: CFC Presidential Endorsements By Incoming CFC Voting Members

After 15 hours of the poll being open, 7 legal votes by those actually electing the CFC President?

For 2013-4 there were 61 CFC Voting Members. So, 54 voters not heard from (= 89%). They may not wish to disclose their intentions by an endorsement (but all of them??). And there is a voting option of saying you will vote privately (not endorse either Candidate). Any reason why the 54 are also not voting that option, if it suits them?

Do you think the Chesstalk CFC Voting Members care about the CFC Presidential election endorsement issue (helping the campaign of their Candidate)?

If not, why not?

Bob A

Comment

Illegal Votes in this Poll

This poll is for "CFC Incoming Voting Members" (formerly called governors for the coming year). You must be an incoming governor to vote in this poll.

Some people, in a bit of confusion it appears, have voted here illegally. Larry has advised there is no way for an Administrator to withdraw an illegal voter from the voter pool.

So when you review the results of voting here, please make the following adjustments for votes that should not be counted:

1. Vlad Dobrich - membership expired 2008-11-01. So he is not a CFC Incoming Voting Member. Delete his vote in your adjustment of the vote totals.

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Though this poll is open to July 6, start of the CFC Voting Members' AGM's, voting has now trailed off.

Thanks to all who voted (though some a bit confusedly). You have helped your Candidate's Presidential campaign, by publicly lending your name to their worthiness to be CFC President.

Bob A

Comment

I am not sure I see the value of these polls, Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      I am not sure I see the value of these polls, Bob.
                      I am pretty sure I see no value.
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I see no value either. Sorry Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          I am pretty sure I see no value.
                          They might be useful as a push poll or as a negative value.

A push poll is an interactive marketing technique, most commonly employed during political campaigning, in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of voters under the guise of conducting a poll.
                          Push Poll
                          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Hi Ken, Kerry and John:

The CFC Executive elections have generally had no public visibility, nor CFC member interest. They were pretty much an internal governor affair (even though meetings are open).

My polls were an attempt (maybe abortive) to get some publicity for the CFC, and the Executive elections. I thought allowing anyone who wanted, from any of the three constituencies, to make a public endorsement vote would be positive publicity for the CFC to all three constituencies. Also, these voters would have effectively entered into the campaign personally...it gave them a public outlet for their views, if they wanted to take it.

Did it achieve anything?.......well over 15 people got to make a public statement......I guess it's up to CT'ers, like you guys, to judge.

Bob A
                            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 4th July, 2014, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I think the profile of these upcoming elections has been raised and become quite public already.

Comment

Working...
                              X