Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hal Bond

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    The Handbook clause that Sasha quoted seems to very expressly forbid what Hal did, even providing mere "briefing information". The Executive should never have allowed Hal to be put in this position in the first place.
    The handbook clause that Sasha quoted is from a version of the handbook no longer in force, for one thing. For another, what exactly is Hal's "paid arbiter position with FIDE" ??

I don't really care about the FIDE election or who gets elected one way or another. But this campaign against Hal is just disgusting; there are very few - if any - people who have done more for chess in Canada in general and the CFC in particular over the past 11 years that I've been paying attention. Most of the attacks seem to be coming from people who have done absolutely zip for chess in Canada since Hal became FIDE rep.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Sid. It was obviously not my intention to mislead anyone with any previous comments I made about Hal.

Comment

Originally posted by George Mastrokoukos View Post
        Trying to imply that Hal Bond has financial connections with FIDE is simply ridiculous. Every arbiter who refs a top event gets some fixed stipend according to FIDE regulations. These stipends are provided by the event organisers (not FIDE) and of course they do not represent any permanent income. Hal Bond is one of the most honest guys around in world chess. Attacking Hal with such weird accusations is a joke. I wonder where the campaign strategy ends and where libel starts.
        Welcome to our world. I am eagerly awaiting the end of this election season, both the CFC and FIDE. One of the things that annoyed me the most about this was the way they targeted Hal Bond, trying to create a wedge. Unfortunately for them I have known Hal Bond for seven years and we may have disagreed from time to time but it was always in a respectful way. He is one of the decent people in Canadian chess. Some might say too decent.

I am still trying to comprehend where the conflict of interest is. There didn't seem to be one when they were hoping for him to deliver the Canadian vote for Gary.
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Friday, 4th July, 2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Welcome to our world. I am eagerly awaiting the end of this election season, both the CFC and FIDE. One of the things that annoyed me the most about this was the way they targeted Hal Bond, trying to create a wedge. Unfortunately for them I have known Hal Bond for seven years and we may have disagreed from time to time but it was always in a respectful way. He is one of the decent people in Canadian chess. Some might say too decent.

I am still trying to comprehend where the conflict of interest is. There didn't seem to be one when they were hoping for him to deliver the Canadian vote for Gary.
          As far as my initial meeting with Hal Bond is concerned that was who the CFC said i should talk to. It is not my role to vet or research who is conflicted out or not. Hal Bond himself certainly has comprehended the conflict openly stating as far back as 2010 that he is conflicted out. So if you are having trouble comprehending where the conflict is why don't you visit your beloved Spraggett's website? He has illuminating information about where the conflict with Hal is or better still ask Hal himself.
          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 5th July, 2014, 12:34 AM.

Comment

One of the things that annoyed me the most about this was the way they targeted Hal Bond, trying to create a wedge. Unfortunately for them I have known Hal Bond for seven years and we may have disagreed from time to time but it was always in a respectful way. He is one of the decent people in Canadian chess. Some might say too decent.

I agree with you about Hal and am relieved if it turns out he is not in a conflict of interest position.

But also.... I am beginning to smell the stink of a setup here. "Let's present Hal Bond as possibly being paid by FIDE, but we'll never actually say he IS being paid by FIDE... they will attack based on a conflict of interest. We let them attack to the point where Hal is being outright accused... then we lower the boom and disclose that Hal receives no payment from FIDE and has no conflict of interest, and HOW DARE these scoundrels attack the most decent man in Canadian chess!"

Vlad and the Exec will look golden, Sid and Sasha will look like scum. It's the perfect political crime. ..and most definitely not beneath the methods of Vlad Drkulec. Or who knows, perhaps that strategy came to them from Kirsan himself, this does smack of the kind of corruption he is alleged to be part of.

The one thing that does stand out is that Sid and Sasha were led to believe that Hal receives payment from FIDE. I know that was stated by somebody on the Exec, maybe Fred McKim, as a 'possibility' somewhere in all these threads.

And in that context, what Sid and Sasha did was not underhanded at all. If they honestly believed there was a conflict of interest, it doesn't matter if the person involved was Jesus Christ. It still has to be pursued to a conclusion. So I see them as doing only what they should have been doing. Keep in mind that in business, some of the worst white collar crimes are committed by the last person you would ever suspect.

Again, it is great that Hal is in the clear. But do not exonerate Sid and Sasha for pursuing what MIGHT have been. The only crime here is that they were misled, whether by intention or not.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              I agree with you about Hal and am relieved if it turns out he is not in a conflict of interest position.

But also.... I am beginning to smell the stink of a setup here. "Let's present Hal Bond as possibly being paid by FIDE, but we'll never actually say he IS being paid by FIDE... they will attack based on a conflict of interest. We let them attack to the point where Hal is being outright accused... then we lower the boom and disclose that Hal receives no payment from FIDE and has no conflict of interest, and HOW DARE these scoundrels attack the most decent man in Canadian chess!"
              “If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you”

Vlad and the Exec will look golden, Sid and Sasha will look like scum. It's the perfect political crime. ..and most definitely not beneath the methods of Vlad Drkulec.
              I can't help it if you are slow witted and grab the stinky bait.

Or who knows, perhaps that strategy came to them from Kirsan himself, this does smack of the kind of corruption he is alleged to be part of.
              It was actually the aliens' idea. “The important thing in strategy is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions”

The one thing that does stand out is that Sid and Sasha were led to believe that Hal receives payment from FIDE. I know that was stated by somebody on the Exec, maybe Fred McKim, as a 'possibility' somewhere in all these threads.
              “from one thing, know ten thousand things”

And in that context, what Sid and Sasha did was not underhanded at all. If they honestly believed there was a conflict of interest, it doesn't matter if the person involved was Jesus Christ. It still has to be pursued to a conclusion.
              The conclusion is an epic fail.

So I see them as doing only what they should have been doing. Keep in mind that in business, some of the worst white collar crimes are committed by the last person you would ever suspect.

Again, it is great that Hal is in the clear. But do not exonerate Sid and Sasha for pursuing what MIGHT have been. The only crime here is that they were misled, whether by intention or not.
              "Thank God I am only watching the game, controlling it."
              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 5th July, 2014, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                It seems right and logical that the CFC's FIDE rep would provide (and be expected to provide) just the type of briefing information you're talking about, Fred. In fact, surely the provision of briefing information to the CFC must be part of the FIDE Rep's job description. I don't understand why some people are trying to give Hal a rough ride for just doing his job.
                Peter, quit trying to be reasonable.

Comment

Peter, quit trying to be reasonable.
                  Hal recently got back from the candidates in Russia where he was an arbitrator. Who paid him and what organization made the decision to give him that job?
                  Why would Hal openly state that he was conflicted out is there is no conflict?

You guys are unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                    Hal recently got back from the candidates in Russia where he was an arbitrator. Who paid him and what organization made the decision to give him that job?
                    Why would Hal openly state that he was conflicted out is there is no conflict?

You guys are unbelievable.
                    Well, let me start from the CFC's Website and soon you'll see why! It is a joke. Recently I've searched CFC's rules there and later quoted here one of its By-Laws, and guess what: Governor Chris Mallon posts that "The handbook clause that Sasha quoted is from a version of the handbook no longer in force"! If so, why do you keep it there? To have an appearance that CFC is run properly, and with the Handbook on its site! However once you quote something from there, the reply will be oh well, this version is no longer in force!

And now on Hal's conflict of interest. Let me state that in January of this year Nava and I played in Guelf's tournament and I asked Hal what does he think about upcoming FIDE election and whom does he think Canada should vote for. And he told me that it is a tough choice, however he could not be impartial because he is getting nice arbiter's assignments from FIDE (even if technically he is paid by the organizers - I met him in Moscow's World Championship match Anand - Gelfand, organizers Filatov and Timchenko, the latter is now under Canada, US and EU's imposed sanctions), therefore he is in conflict of interests and will not be part of the discussions and/or voting on the matter. So, what's happened a few months later? I think I know! Probably the Handbook was still in force then!
                    Last edited by Sasha Starr; Saturday, 5th July, 2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sasha Starr;82738]Well, let me start from the CFC's Website and soon you'll see why! It is a joke. Recently I've searched CFC's rules there and later quoted here one of its By-Laws, and guess what: Governor Chris Mallon posts that "The handbook clause that Sasha quoted is from a version of the handbook no longer in force"! [QUOTE]

The NFP act continuation rendered the CFC handbook redundant with respect to the provisions that govern the affairs of the CFC. The handbook is still useful as it is a document which outlines some of the procedures which the CFC uses or has used. Over time we have to develop a new handbook but working largely on my own with input from Frank Lee and Pierre Denomme there was not sufficient time to rewrite the entire handbook in order to bring it into compliance with the requirements of the new NFP act.

If so, why do you keep it there? To have an appearance that CFC is run properly, and with the Handbook on its site! However once you quote something from there, the reply will be oh well, this version is no longer in force!

And now on Hal's conflict of interest. Let me state that in January of this year Nava and I played in Guelf's tournament and I asked Hal what does he think about upcoming FIDE election and whom does he think Canada should vote for. And he told me that it is a tough choice, however he could not be impartial because he is getting nice arbiter's assignments from FIDE (even if technically he is paid by the organizers - I met him in Moscow's World Championship match Anand - Gelfand, organizers Filatov and Timchenko, the latter is now under Canada, US and EU's imposed sanctions), therefore he is in conflict of interests and will not be part of the discussions and/or voting on the matter. So, what's happened a few months later? I think I know! Probably the Handbook was still in force then!
                      No. The handbook passed with the transition to the new NFP act and the executive vote was shortly thereafter. Why don't you have your voting member spy inform you of the discussions or even look yourself once you have access as a governor to the forums which should be tomorrow at the latest.

Comment

Working...
                      X